2nd hand GPU running very hot

I just found a good deal on an MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X GPU and everything seems to be working fine except the temperatures are maxing out at 83 degrees (the default limit set by Afterburner) with 80% fan speed. In comparison my GTX 970 topped out at around 72 degrees with far slower fan speed.

I've reduced the power limit and max temperature to 75 degrees but now it's not running at 100% performance.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

this happening while gaming or normal idle? also what resoultion/refresh rate and if only in gamign what settings. And if on idle I'd ask did they state they used it for mining? If so they may have fucked with the bios.

2 minutes ago, Tellos said:

this happening while gaming or normal idle? also what resoultion/refresh rate and if only in gamign what settings. And if on idle I'd ask did they state they used it for mining? If so they may have fucked with the bios.

Just whilst usage is at 100% so gaming. Idle the temperatures are normal at around 50 degrees.

So only when use not when doing nothing, be hard to say not seeing what it's cooling is and what it's gaming on and what at. We'd need more information.

3 minutes ago, Tellos said:

So only when use not when doing nothing, be hard to say not seeing what it's cooling is and what it's gaming on and what at. We'd need more information.

Image result for msi gtx 1080 gaming x

Twin fans, 1440p. I'm also using it for mining where it reaches peak temperatures as well.

3 minutes ago, NMS said:

@trace6x Void warranty and perhaps change that thermal paste.

I'm thinking about doing this, what's the best thermal paste I could buy?

5 minutes ago, trace6x said:

Thanks, I know Linus recommends IC Diamond reckon on of these would be better?

It's very good, though I prefer Thermal Grizzly.

But in the end, both are good so it's up to you.

1 hour ago, NMS said:

It's very good, though I prefer Thermal Grizzly.

But in the end, both are good so it's up to you.

Bought some Grizzly Kyronaut, hoping it helps with my GPU temperatures

Minign your ognna reach max temps usually if the new thermal paste doesint help I donno you may hae just gotton a bad GPu.

Update I bought some thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal instead and replaced the old thermal paste on the card which looked pretty dry.

Was previously capping out at 83 degrees and I think the highest I've seen so far is around 77 degrees!

Non load temps are 10-15 degrees lower and ramping up the fan speeds under load now reduces temperatures to the high 60s.

Pretty happy with that result!

5 hours ago, trace6x said:

Update I bought some thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal instead and replaced the old thermal paste on the card which looked pretty dry.

Was previously capping out at 83 degrees and I think the highest I've seen so far is around 77 degrees!

Non load temps are 10-15 degrees lower and ramping up the fan speeds under load now reduces temperatures to the high 60s.

Pretty happy with that result!

Awesomeness 8bK5PQR.png

You could probably undervolt the card and shave off an extra 10 degrees or so as well.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H