Can someone weigh in on this weird mystery issue.

KF335i
5 hours ago, Noobie22 said:

You sure its not ram problem? If you have only one stick, try using another slot on your mobo.  If you have 2 sticks, try to use 1 at the time and see if there is issues. I highly doubt its your psu, mobo sounds much more likely but I would suggest to trying to play with ram sticks first. There might be compatibility issues with ryzen and your memory/mobo and memory.  But I think it wouldnt boot or does boot loop if memory is not supported. Keep me updated! 

I mean I ran Memtest for like 12+ hours so I dont think it would be? I used to get a boot loop when I tried oc'ing it to 3200 and had to turn it down to 2900 but i've recently reset all overclocks to default and it hasnt helped.

On 2018-02-28 at 4:10 AM, Noobie22 said:

You sure its not ram problem? If you have only one stick, try using another slot on your mobo.  If you have 2 sticks, try to use 1 at the time and see if there is issues. I highly doubt its your psu, mobo sounds much more likely but I would suggest to trying to play with ram sticks first. There might be compatibility issues with ryzen and your memory/mobo and memory.  But I think it wouldnt boot or does boot loop if memory is not supported. Keep me updated! 

Hey just an update.. I tried testing both ram sticks independently of eachother and for some reason if I just use one ram stick the computer just freezes. It doesnt go black and lock up like before and the reset button still works but it freezes. Not sure what this is indicative of.

On 3/2/2018 at 7:02 AM, KF335i said:

Hey just an update.. I tried testing both ram sticks independently of eachother and for some reason if I just use one ram stick the computer just freezes. It doesnt go black and lock up like before and the reset button still works but it freezes. Not sure what this is indicative of.

It indicates faulty ram stick

5 hours ago, Noobie22 said:

It indicates faulty ram stick

But both ram sticks run independently of each other cause it to freeze? Are you saying both ram sticks are faulty? Wouldn't an overnight memtest have showed something?

1 hour ago, KF335i said:

But both ram sticks run independently of each other cause it to freeze? Are you saying both ram sticks are faulty? Wouldn't an overnight memtest have showed something?

Ahh okay, I didnt know it happened on both, I thought it happened only on 1 stick. Are you using right ports on motherboard, this could cause issues, did you check from motherboard manual what is best port to use when running 1(single channel) stick or 2 sticks(dual channel). Ryzen can be tricky with ram modules, I had also ram issues with Ryzen, getting weird crashes and pc always did dual boot before turning on indicating ram issues. So check if there is a new bios update for your mobo, check if you have right slot used with your ram sticks and pray it starts to work. If still occurs, I would at least change motherboard and ram at the same time, can be frustrated.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you break your hardware, these are my opinions and my opinions only.

1 hour ago, Noobie22 said:

Ahh okay, I didnt know it happened on both, I thought it happened only on 1 stick. Are you using right ports on motherboard, this could cause issues, did you check from motherboard manual what is best port to use when running 1(single channel) stick or 2 sticks(dual channel). Ryzen can be tricky with ram modules, I had also ram issues with Ryzen, getting weird crashes and pc always did dual boot before turning on indicating ram issues. So check if there is a new bios update for your mobo, check if you have right slot used with your ram sticks and pray it starts to work. If still occurs, I would at least change motherboard and ram at the same time, can be frustrated.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you break your hardware, these are my opinions and my opinions only.

BIos is up to date and slots are 1 & 3 which is what they should be for the asrock ab350 pro

I had the same issue with my Asrock-AB350M-pro4, turned out to be a bad motherboard. 
I've had 4 Asrock boards fail me in 2 years - so my brand trust is non-existent for them anymore. 

5 hours ago, Supagetti said:

I had the same issue with my Asrock-AB350M-pro4, turned out to be a bad motherboard. 
I've had 4 Asrock boards fail me in 2 years - so my brand trust is non-existent for them anymore. 

What board did you end up going with? Also as a side note I played all day yesterday with no problems and decided to load up Witcher 3 so I popped in my xbox one wireless adapter and connected my controller & within 30 minutes the same problem appeared again. This is just a coincidence right? The bluetooth adapter/controller cant be the problem right?

45 minutes ago, KF335i said:

What board did you end up going with? Also as a side note I played all day yesterday with no problems and decided to load up Witcher 3 so I popped in my xbox one wireless adapter and connected my controller & within 30 minutes the same problem appeared again. This is just a coincidence right? The bluetooth adapter/controller cant be the problem right?

I ended up going with the Gigabyte GA-AB350M-HD3. It was cheaper and serves the purpose I needed it to. 
As far as the wireless adaptor goes - It very well could just be a coincidence. When I was using my asrock board, It could crash on me anywear between 30 minutes and 16 hours, It was just random as hell. I did a fair amount of research about it - and it seems a lot of people are having trouble with the ryzen Asrock boards. The theory is that it'll stop communicating with the CPU randomly. 

Although, I'd take everything I've said with a grain of salt - who knows really. If you've done all the usual trouble-shooting, and you've checked your RAM is compatible, your best bet is to probably take it back to the place you purchased it, if you still can. Once I changed boards, all the issues I was previously having vanished. But that's just my experience, anyway. 

I have had this exact issue and it was because I had thermal paste in my CPU socket. My guess is mabye some thermal paste is shorting something out, its also worth mentioning that when it happend to me it was about 5-10 mins into using it regardless of what I was doing.

1 minute ago, ToastedVivid said:

I have had this exact issue and it was because I had thermal paste in my CPU socket. My guess is mabye some thermal paste is shorting something out, its also worth mentioning that when it happend to me it was about 5-10 mins into using it regardless of what I was doing.

How did you discover this? Were your temps high?

1 hour ago, Supagetti said:

I ended up going with the Gigabyte GA-AB350M-HD3. It was cheaper and serves the purpose I needed it to. 
As far as the wireless adaptor goes - It very well could just be a coincidence. When I was using my asrock board, It could crash on me anywear between 30 minutes and 16 hours, It was just random as hell. I did a fair amount of research about it - and it seems a lot of people are having trouble with the ryzen Asrock boards. The theory is that it'll stop communicating with the CPU randomly. 

Although, I'd take everything I've said with a grain of salt - who knows really. If you've done all the usual trouble-shooting, and you've checked your RAM is compatible, your best bet is to probably take it back to the place you purchased it, if you still can. Once I changed boards, all the issues I was previously having vanished. But that's just my experience, anyway. 

Definitely was a coincidence with the wireless adapter as it just crashed again. 

I discovered this because I had it on a wooden table to test my new motherboard (I had killed 4 up to this point :P) and it worked a dream, but I didnt have a cooler secured onto it, just placed on gently. I took it off and I dont know why but I ended up taking the CPU out and when I secured the cooler on and put it back on the wooden table it would blackscreen after a fairly short amount of time, it was enough to make me freakout. When I checked the socket I saw a tiny bit of thermal paste that must of been shorting the pins out and I removed it and everything went back to normal, no blackscreen.

I forgot to add that while it was blackscreened the fans stayed on, my monitor had a signal and it wouldn't turn off

2 minutes ago, ToastedVivid said:

I discovered this because I had it on a wooden table to test my new motherboard (I had killed 4 up to this point :P) and it worked a dream, but I didnt have a cooler secured onto it, just placed on gently. I took it off and I dont know why but I ended up taking the CPU out and when I secured the cooler on and put it back on the wooden table it would blackscreen after a fairly short amount of time, it was enough to make me freakout. When I checked the socket I saw a tiny bit of thermal paste that must of been shorting the pins out and I removed it and everything went back to normal, no blackscreen.

I forgot to add that while it was blackscreened the fans stayed on, my monitor had a signal and it wouldn't turn off

If I understand clearly you replaced your motherboard simultaneously with cleaning the cpu sockets? Is it possible it was your motherboard?

2 minutes ago, ToastedVivid said:

no I swapped out a different CPU to make sure that wasn't the problem and noticed thermal paste that wasn't there before, I kept the mobo

Hello @KF335i I have encountered the exact same problem with my ryzen 7 setup.
Random black screens with unresponsive power and restart buttons.

I have already posted a thread here: 

And there is another one with the same problem:

Basically I have tried RMAing the CPU and MB, but none of that helped.

I am also using a external DAC, but I dont thing that it is the problem, because I had it disconnected while the black screens occured.

I am now trying to install all windows updates with the creators update first and then install all the drivers from vendors websites.

The system is now running second day without any black screen (which does not mean anything, the black screens are so random that I could run a whole week without any black screen, but there is a slight hope that it might fix the problem, will see).

On 2018-03-04 at 4:50 PM, ToothlessFury said:

Hello @KF335i I have encountered the exact same problem with my ryzen 7 setup.
Random black screens with unresponsive power and restart buttons.

I have already posted a thread here: 

And there is another one with the same problem:

Basically I have tried RMAing the CPU and MB, but none of that helped.

I am also using a external DAC, but I dont thing that it is the problem, because I had it disconnected while the black screens occured.

I am now trying to install all windows updates with the creators update first and then install all the drivers from vendors websites.

The system is now running second day without any black screen (which does not mean anything, the black screens are so random that I could run a whole week without any black screen, but there is a slight hope that it might fix the problem, will see).

How does the process of "Installing all windows updates with the creators update first" work? 

I really hope that its either the cpu or mb as I have just ordered them as replacements but I feel less and less like it is the more I read.

6 hours ago, KF335i said:

How does the process of "Installing all windows updates with the creators update first" work? 

I really hope that its either the cpu or mb as I have just ordered them as replacements but I feel less and less like it is the more I read.

It works like this:

You will let windows download all updates and drivers itself, while it is updating, you shall not install any drivers/software yourself.

Once it is updated and only then you shall install the latest drivers from the vendors websites.

This way you should avoid any driver conflicts or incompatibility with the updated windows version.