Can someone weigh in on this weird mystery issue.

KF335i

Operating System

Windows 10

Computer Specs (PSU, GPU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard)

Monitor - Samsung cfg70 Mobo - Asrock Ab350 Pro 4C PU - Ryzen 1600 GPU - Geforce 1080 SDD - Crucial m200 Ram - Corsair Vengeance 16gb PSU - Evga g3

Description of problem

Screen will go black randomly and nothing wakes it up (Sometimes im gaming, sometimes im doing nothing at all). PC appears to still be on but the weird thing is that the power button on the tower is no longer responsive (This is the only time the power button does not work and otherwise works perfectly fine) and I have to hard reset it from the back to get it working again.

Update (Feb 25) - Picked up a new SSD today and did a fresh install to no avail.. had the same thing occur just a few minutes ago. Also I dont know if this is relevant but I do use a DAC in case this is a power related issue and its causing problems. 

When this issue began

A few months ago

Recurring issue

Yes

Date of purchase

Summer 2017

Under Warranty

Yes

Cause/Steps to recreate the issue

Don't have to do anything.. occurs on its own.

What I've tried so far to resolve the issue

• All sleep/hibernation settings are disabled.
  • Memtest, Aida & cinebench have all been run for hours. (Memtest overnight).
  • Reinstall GPU drivers with DDU
  • Recently reset all overclocks to defaut.
  • Purchased a new Samsung SSD to replace my crucial and did a fresh install of Windows. 

This suggestion sounds very stupid but could also be a simple fix but have you tried using another cord for your monitor? For the unresponsive power button, I have no clue.

1 minute ago, DerpTDG said:

This suggestion sounds very stupid but could also be a simple fix but have you tried using another cord for your monitor? For the unresponsive power button, I have no clue.

I could try it I guess but it doesnt really explain the unresponsive power button and if the cable is faulty why wouldn't it just not work period? Why randomly?

2 minutes ago, KF335i said:

I could try it I guess but it doesnt really explain the unresponsive power button and if the cable is faulty why wouldn't it just not work period? Why randomly?

Some monitors have a auto switching feature which could be it. And for the faulty power button is it a button you have to hold for it to work because on my case you have to hold button for about 15 seconds for it to work.

5 minutes ago, Colin Donoghue said:

Some monitors have a auto switching feature which could be it. And for the faulty power button is it a button you have to hold for it to work because on my case you have to hold button for about 15 seconds for it to work.

I did not have this problem for the first six months of owning this monitor so I dont think its a auto switching feature. And yes the power button is a button I need to hold but when working it turns off after a few seconds. I've sat there holding it for 30+ during the unresponsive moments and nothing happens. 

Hmmm, tower power btn unresponsive. What PSU? Only times I've had trouble with case power btn was when I had Corsair PSU which was faulty. After it failed the second time I got a refund for it.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

3 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Hmmm, tower power btn unresponsive. What PSU? Only times I've had trouble with case power btn was when I had Corsair PSU which was faulty. After it failed the second time I got a refund for it.

EVGA 750 G3

1 hour ago, KF335i said:

EVGA 750 G3

Opps, missed that in OP. Like I said only time I have had trouble with power button was when PSU wasn't doing what it should. Don't ask me why, but that's how it seems to have been. Do you have another you can try?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

41 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Opps, missed that in OP. Like I said only time I have had trouble with power button was when PSU wasn't doing what it should. Don't ask me why, but that's how it seems to have been. Do you have another you can try?

I dont have one kicking around. I guess I could buy one.. it's just such a hassle replacing the PSU because everything is routed around the back and cable management is pretty neat.. I would honestly hate for it to be that. 

8 hours ago, KF335i said:

I dont have one kicking around. I guess I could buy one.. it's just such a hassle replacing the PSU because everything is routed around the back and cable management is pretty neat.. I would honestly hate for it to be that. 

Contact the manufacturer and use your warranty. Don't pay for another one. Or if you don't want to wait that long, ask for a refund instead and if they agree to it, you can just buy the new one instead of waiting for corsair to sort out your replacement.

2 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Contact the manufacturer and use your warranty. Don't pay for another one. Or if you don't want to wait that long, ask for a refund instead and if they agree to it, you can just buy the new one instead of waiting for corsair to sort out your replacement.

Is there a way to test a new PSU without routing all the cabling through the case? Can I just plug into the necessary mobo ports with the side of the case open? Its such a hassle. 

Just now, KF335i said:

Is there a way to test a new PSU without routing all the cabling through the case? Can I just plug into the necessary mobo ports with the side of the case open? Its such a hassle. 

Yea, that's fine. We do that while posting all of the time. Just don't stick your fingers in there while doing it :P 

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, that's fine. We do that while posting all of the time. Just don't stick your fingers in there while doing it :P 

Should I have them send me a replacement or look for another PSU?

2 minutes ago, KF335i said:

Should I have them send me a replacement or look for another PSU?

Not sure. What's the wattage and 80+ rating on that one?

13 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Not sure. What's the wattage and 80+ rating on that one?

Gold rated and its the EVGA 750 so im guessing 750 watts?

3 minutes ago, KF335i said:

Gold rated and its the EVGA 750 so im guessing 750 watts?

Yep, well that power supply is fine enough so go ahead if you want the replacement,

but you could probably get back up and running quicker if you get them to agree to a refund instead, because as soon as they agree you can buy your new power supply instead of waiting for them to get it and ship the new one.

I had same exact issues, with same exact cpu but only occured with too low voltages, yes I was doing oc, because didnt want asus auto overclock feature to use 1.4 voltages on 3.6 ghz. And yes, your pc can hardlock and power button wont work, had same issue. And it prob wont be psu issue. I recommed updating your bios to latest version avaible, resetting cmos, getting latest chipset drivers, reseating ram sticks. Or going to safe mode and see if it remains stable, since safe mode wont let any application to start running by itself. And even try to manually set clock speeds of your cpu and ram, also disable xmp/docp memory oc features. 

Disclaimer: This is my own personal opinion. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your system. 

5 hours ago, Noobie22 said:

I had same exact issues, with same exact cpu but only occured with too low voltages, yes I was doing oc, because didnt want asus auto overclock feature to use 1.4 voltages on 3.6 ghz. And yes, your pc can hardlock and power button wont work, had same issue. And it prob wont be psu issue. I recommed updating your bios to latest version avaible, resetting cmos, getting latest chipset drivers, reseating ram sticks. Or going to safe mode and see if it remains stable, since safe mode wont let any application to start running by itself. And even try to manually set clock speeds of your cpu and ram, also disable xmp/docp memory oc features. 

Disclaimer: This is my own personal opinion. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your system. 

Ok so this is my current mobo: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

If you go to the bios list I am currently on 3.40. I tried updating to 4.5 but everytime I tried to flash it it would say something to the effect of no drive or osmething along those lines. When I updated to 3.4 I didn't have any issues at all with the same USB. 

1 minute ago, KF335i said:

Ok so this is my current mobo: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

If you go to the bios list I am currently on 3.40. I tried updating to 4.5 but everytime I tried to flash it it would say something to the effect of no drive or osmething along those lines. When I updated to 3.4 I didn't have any issues at all with the same USB. 

You go to 4.3 then 4.5 

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

16 minutes ago, Killstreak said:

You go to 4.3 then 4.5 

Ok I managed to get that to work (Thought I tried 4.3 last time after I couldn't get 4.5 to work). Should I wait to see if 4.3 fixes it or move right to 4.5?

5 minutes ago, KF335i said:

Ok I managed to get that to work (Thought I tried 4.3 last time after I couldn't get 4.5 to work). Should I wait to see if 4.3 fixes it or move right to 4.5?

You have to do 4.3 then 4.5 4.5 IS THE REAL BIOS. 

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

33 minutes ago, Killstreak said:

You go to 4.3 then 4.5 

Ok i'm currently updating to 4.5 so I'll wait a day or so to see if it fixes it (Issue always occurs within 24 hours). 

Ok so the problem just popped up again.. no dice. EVGA got back to me and suggested i swap my gpu out with another to see if it’s the video card.

So I tried resetting cmos as well as swapping my current gpu out with my old 760 and no dice. So its gotta be either motherboard or PSU right? Leaning more towards motherboard over psu?

5 hours ago, KF335i said:

So I tried resetting cmos as well as swapping my current gpu out with my old 760 and no dice. So its gotta be either motherboard or PSU right? Leaning more towards motherboard over psu?

You sure its not ram problem? If you have only one stick, try using another slot on your mobo.  If you have 2 sticks, try to use 1 at the time and see if there is issues. I highly doubt its your psu, mobo sounds much more likely but I would suggest to trying to play with ram sticks first. There might be compatibility issues with ryzen and your memory/mobo and memory.  But I think it wouldnt boot or does boot loop if memory is not supported. Keep me updated!