Stripped threads on motherboard

**UPDATE**

So I tried the rubberband solution. I cut a very small strip of rubberband and poked a hole in it, after that I put the screw threw and tried screwing it back into the stripped thread on the motherboard and it worked!!! The screws held in place very sturdy and I was able to get my cooler put back on the cpu. My cpu is now showing temps in the normal range.

So I received a computer from ibuypower in the mail and turned the system on to notice my CPU temps were incredibly high. I have an NZXT Kraken x62 cooling system so I unscrewed it to see what might be going on. The CPU holding place is too large for the krakens backplate so it was screwed directly into the motherboard. Two of the screws screwed into the motherboard that the kraken sits on are loose, I take them out and find out they screw into the two other slots just fine meaning that the threads on the motherboard itself are stripped.

My question is: 

Is there any safe compound of any type that you can use on PC components to repair stripped *threads (not screws)?

2 minutes ago, Drugs-Robot said:

So I received a computer from ibuypower in the mail and turned the system on to notice my CPU temps were incredibly high. I have an NZXT Kraken x62 cooling system so I unscrewed it to see what might be going on. The CPU holding place is too large for the krakens backplate so it was screwed directly into the motherboard. Two of the screws screwed into the motherboard that the kraken sits on are loose, I take them out and find out they screw into the two other slots just fine meaning that the threads on the motherboard itself are stripped.

My question is: 

Is there any safe compound of any type that you can use on PC components to repair stripped *threads (not screws)?

Your best bet would be to contact NZXT to try and get hold of a replacement backplate for the CPU cooler. 

i contacted nzxt and told them that it kinda felt like the mounting plate screws got damaged when tightening, and if i could get a replacement to change with when i delidded my cpu, got a full fastening kit, including am4, for free..
took a couple of weeks to ship it via snail mail to norway though, but didn't cost me a thing.
(i did have to provide proof of purchase of my X62)

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

13 minutes ago, W-L said:

Your best bet would be to contact NZXT to try and get hold of a replacement backplate for the CPU cooler. 

I don't know if you read the part about how there is no NZXT backplate because the area that holds the CPU. It covers those holes where the backplate would fit so you cannot use the backplate at all.  

I'd probably contact iBuyPower seeing as its new. More so their problem, they 'screwed' up.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

I'd probably contact iBuyPower seeing as its new. More so their problem, they 'screwed' up.

I see what you did there ha, I already have a shipping label from them but was seeing if anyone knows a way to fix a stripped thread on a PC safely so I don't have to wait another 3 weeks to get my repaired system back. 

11 minutes ago, Drugs-Robot said:

I don't know if you read the part about how there is no NZXT backplate because the area that holds the CPU. It covers those holes where the backplate would fit so you cannot use the backplate at all.  

What motherboard do you have? If you have a socket with a built in backplate and it's using that for mounting your going to have to see about sourcing a new plate completely. 

Just now, Drugs-Robot said:

I see what you did there ha, I already have a shipping label from them but was seeing if anyone knows a way to fix a stripped thread on a PC safely so I don't have to wait another 3 weeks to get my repaired system back. 

If you interfere with it, it could void the warranty. I would ring them up to see if you can without doing that. 3 weeks for free is still free, but you might have to pay if you can't fix it at home.

TBH you could try using a socket if you can or a hex key. You can also try putting a rubber band edge and using the correct screwdriver, if you have a photo it would be nice, because a lot of these fixes depend on how stripped it is, if its smooth you might need to drill it at a last resort.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

What motherboard do you have? If you have a socket with a built in backplate and it's using that for mounting your going to have to see about sourcing a new plate completely. 

Its the Asus x299 Mark 2. iBuypower has already said they will replace it. The motherboards built in plate that it is screwed into is not removable. I just wanted to know if anyone here has dealt with stripped threads before without replacing the part altogether 

Just now, Drugs-Robot said:

Its the Asus x299 Mark 2. iBuypower has already said they will replace it. The motherboards built in plate that it is screwed into is not removable. I just wanted to know if anyone here has dealt with stripped threads before without replacing the part altogether 

In that case go through with the replacement, there wouldn't be an easy way if you wanted to fix the threads other than tapping to the next size up but it's not uncommon if you over tighten a faster for it to strip. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

If you interfere with it, it could void the warranty. I would ring them up to see if you can without doing that. 3 weeks for free is still free, but you might have to pay if you can't fix it at home.

TBH you could try using a socket if you can or a hex key. You can also try putting a rubber band edge and using the correct screwdriver, if you have a photo it would be nice, because a lot of these fixes depend on how stripped it is, if its smooth you might need to drill it at a last resort.

Hmm I didn't think abut trying a rubberband edge that seems safe enough...

It doesn't seem like its completely smooth, one is worse than the other. I just have a feeling whoever screwed it in in the first place may have screwed to hard

Just now, W-L said:

In that case go through with the replacement, there wouldn't be an easy way if you wanted to fix the threads other than tapping to the next size up but it's not uncommon if you over tighten a faster for it to strip. 

cheap nasty metal. I always use the screws where you can use a small socket because this does happen a lot for sure.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

cheap nasty metal. I always use the screws where you can use a small socket because this does happen a lot for sure.

It's only a punched and tapped hole so it's not expected to take a lot of torque, especially since the threads are usually only M3 or 6-32 as they're fairly small fasteners.