Here's Why The Audio Technica ATH-M50X is a Terrible Headphone

Max_Settings
Just now, Max_Settings said:

Thanks! I haven’t been harasseing anyone here. Just defending my points and disproving other peoples points so they learn something.

No problem. There were just some other posts(not naming names) that were harassing/attacking.

Have a good one!

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Seems more like you deleted every post asking for proof why they hate Audio Technica headphones like it's fact and not just their opinion why they don't like them,and a few that had differing opinions,no wonder why the audio section isn't very active. I don't know,maybe I'm biased since i'm tired of reddit like bandwagon flaming over anything that isn't a openback headphone that has no bass,not everyone can use openback headphones. Plenty of reviewers liked them,sure there's better headphones out there now,but I don't think they're the worst thing ever.

37 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Seems more like you deleted every post asking for proof why they hate Audio Technica headphones like it's fact and not just their opinion why they don't like them,and a few that had differing opinions,no wonder why the audio section isn't very active. I don't know,maybe I'm biased since i'm tired of reddit like bandwagon flaming over anything that isn't a openback headphone that has no bass,not everyone can use openback headphones. Plenty of reviewers liked them,sure there's better headphones out there now,but I don't think they're the worst thing ever.

Did you even read my review? First of all I'm sure you know this, but I have no control over what the mods delete. Secondly, you can't prove with cold facts why a headphone is bad, this isn't a graphics card where there are cold hard numbers, obviously with sound opinion is largely a factor. And who ever said anything about audiophiles only liking open back headphones with a lot of bass? That's not even remotely true. The headphones I want more than anything are the $1800 Mr. Speakers Ether Flow C, which are a closed back headphone. Probably my favorite headphones I own are my closed Mayflower T50RP. And my HD6XXs I love, but they are not bassy headphones. Nothing was ever said about audiophiles only liking open headphones with a lot of bass. We like all kinds, every pair has its purpose. And as for reviewers I covered that too in this review. Tech youtubers who don't know audio loved them. Many actual audio reviewers did not.

People are still buying the M50X? I thought alot more people are informed about how bad they actually are in forums and in the comment section of Youtube videos that give them positive reviews and recommendations.

4 minutes ago, Drake Mallard said:

People are still buying the M50X? I thought alot more people are informed about how bad they actually are in forums and in the comment section of Youtube videos that give them positive reviews and recommendations.

Still probably the best selling headphone from not a super mainstream brand like Beats, Sony, Skull Candy, etc...

8 minutes ago, Drake Mallard said:

I know few people still recommending them, i mean they're okay if its cheaper like around $100 or less (ideally imo) but in my area, they're called like "holy grail" here and sold at $200 +/- whereas dt770 is around the same and sometimes cheaper here..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

19 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

I know few people still recommending them, i mean they're okay if its cheaper like around $100 or less (ideally imo) but in my area, they're called like "holy grail" here and sold at $200 +/- whereas dt770 is around the same and sometimes cheaper here..

Once again as I stated in the thread I don’t think they are overpriced, I think they are bad no matter what price point.

2 hours ago, nicobombai said:

DT880 is like $165 which is straight out the best headphone deal you can get at any price

4 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Did you even read my review? First of all I'm sure you know this, but I have no control over what the mods delete. Secondly, you can't prove with cold facts why a headphone is bad, this isn't a graphics card where there are cold hard numbers, obviously with sound opinion is largely a factor. And who ever said anything about audiophiles only liking open back headphones with a lot of bass? That's not even remotely true. The headphones I want more than anything are the $1800 Mr. Speakers Ether Flow C, which are a closed back headphone. Probably my favorite headphones I own are my closed Mayflower T50RP. And my HD6XXs I love, but they are not bassy headphones. Nothing was ever said about audiophiles only liking open headphones with a lot of bass. We like all kinds, every pair has its purpose. And as for reviewers I covered that too in this review. Tech youtubers who don't know audio loved them. Many actual audio reviewers did not.

Instead of just bashing every tech youtuber,do you have any research besides a graph that means little to most why they're bad,who do you you trust as a youtube reviewer then? I got caught by the hype and did buy the M50's years ago,never used them much because the headband doesn't have much padding. Most of the headphones you recommended instead are open backed headphones. Open back headphones sounding more flat should be kind of obvious,then again people spend $150+ on beats or Apple earpods. IMO the shp9500 are a little overhyped since you have to add $22 into the price on earpads and rip them apart out of the box, I don't know how many new to audio would want to mod. I'm by no means an audiophile,and so far i still prefer speakers over headphones since I have yet to try a pair that don't get warm.

I still respect your review and actually want to try an HD559 or WS1100is even though they look like fashion headphones. Maybe AT should take what they did with the WS1100 and redo m50x into some kind of m50mk2.

1 hour ago, nicobombai said:

If i recall correctly,m50's used to be around the $100 mark until the X's with whatever they changed besides the removable cable, i do agree they're overpriced now. DT770 look super comfortable,but i think i'd need an amp for those.

15 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

If i recall correctly,m50's used to be around the $100 mark until the X's with whatever they changed besides the removable cable, i do agree they're overpriced now. DT770 look super comfortable,but i think i'd need an amp for those.

Over here its never changed, even from the m50s till the m50x, its priced at $200, whereas the dt770 is around 175-200 depending on the seller.

For amps, they are quite easy to drive, i got the 80 ohms version and even my iphone 5 can drive them up to slightly uncomfortable level, my pc also can do the same with side note: that newer mobo's can power this headphone quite easily compared to older ones.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Instead of just bashing every tech youtuber,do you have any research besides a graph that means little to most why they're bad,who do you you trust as a youtube reviewer then? I got caught by the hype and did buy the M50's years ago,never used them much because the headband doesn't have much padding. Most of the headphones you recommended instead are open backed headphones. Open back headphones sounding more flat should be kind of obvious,then again people spend $150+ on beats or Apple earpods. IMO the shp9500 are a little overhyped since you have to add $22 into the price on earpads and rip them apart out of the box, I don't know how many new to audio would want to mod. I'm by no means an audiophile,and so far i still prefer speakers over headphones since I have yet to try a pair that don't get warm.

I still respect your review and actually want to try an HD559 or WS1100is even though they look like fashion headphones. Maybe AT should take what they did with the WS1100 and redo m50x into some kind of m50mk2.

Like I said before, besides the graph there is no factual evidence you can use for or against a headphone, obviously sound, like beauty is a matter of opinion.

Secondly nothing says open back headphones sound more flat. Some will, some won’t, it depends on the headphone. There is no corraltion between open and closed and any sound characteristic. Either can have imaging, sound stage, bass, neutrality, etc... 

Third, who modifies the SHP9500? They don’t need pads or any modding done to them. They are about the most comfortable headphones ever right out of the box. They also don’t need any sound mods. 

Never under the hype of those headphones or there asking price. Every review i heard there way too bassy, no detail or any soundstage. There way better choice's for entry grade audiophile headphones.

IEM's : Shure SRH1540, ER4PT with P/S cable.

PC: R5 1600 3.8 Ghz, 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ, 4TB HDD & 240GB SDD, Evga GTX 1080Ti.

On 19/02/2018 at 7:31 PM, Max_Settings said:

And suddenly my eyes were open to the utter load of crap the M50Xs are.

Can't know how bad they are if you ever bought them.

Guess I'll forever not know kek.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Can't know how bad they are if you ever bought them.

Guess I'll forever not know kek.

I own a set currently. I did not write this based off of sheer opinion or going off a hate train. I own a set and these are my impressions. Unlike most I’m willing to confess that I made a bad choice.

It's hard for me to really knock the M50x, but I agree that they're priced way to high. 

I mean, they produce sound, have a removable cable (I wouldn't be caught dead buying headphones without a removable cable) and are tough. Comfort is okay. I wouldn't be upset if I owned an M50x. I just wouldn't ever buy one. Because they're wayy to pricey. 

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

It's hard for me to really knock the M50x, but I agree that they're priced way to high. 

I mean, they produce sound, have a removable cable (I wouldn't be caught dead buying headphones without a removable cable) and are tough. Comfort is okay. I wouldn't be upset if I owned an M50x. I just wouldn't ever buy one. Because they're wayy to pricey. 

Once again, like stated, they suck. They aren’t just bad for the price they are bad regardless of price.

8 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Once again, like stated, they suck. They aren’t just bad for the price they are bad regardless of price.

If you want something that truly sucks balls and gets heaps of praise try:

- KZ ZS5

- Superlux HD 681

It doesn't get worse than that

On 2/21/2018 at 10:29 PM, nicobombai said:

m50x should be $60-70 dollar headphones

my nvx xpt 100 and my cals are way better closed for that price, and I paid like 100ish for my m50xs

On 2/21/2018 at 10:49 PM, Max_Settings said:

Once again as I stated in the thread I don’t think they are overpriced, I think they are bad no matter what price point.

see above

On 2/22/2018 at 1:06 AM, Blademaster91 said:

my shp9500 are fine for 50 beats almost anything out there for price range before I'd say my either pair of my superlux headphones were great buys with ear pad replacement

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

havent even touched mine in years they are so damn narrow

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

agreed but they are ez to transport lol

5 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

If you want something that truly sucks balls and gets heaps of praise try:

- KZ ZS5

- Superlux HD 681

It doesn't get worse than that

replace earpads on them for the price i use to recommend them with earpads now shp9500 are that headphone

48 minutes ago, pas008 said:

replace earpads on them for the price i use to recommend them with earpads now shp9500 are that headphone

The earpads weren't the only problem. The self-adjusting headband was a torture device that squeezed my melon and pulled my ears up. It was super painful. Unless you hack the guts out of that headphone by stretching/bending the stupid headband and spend another $30 on decent earpads, well the Superlux HD 681 is the worst headphone ever made. Period. And the treble, oh the treble! These were treble nukes. 

I was so incredibly mad when I first got my Superlux HD 681. Some random strangers on the internet like you were praising them like an artifact from the gods. And they suck so hard for enjoying music. I didn't want the most resolving and unforgiving headphones out there. Simply getting a Koss Porta Pro was waayyyy better. I just wanted to listen to my tunes'. 

The HD 681 was the most overhyped hot steaming pile of garbage. Worse than the M50X by a long shot. 

3 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

The earpads weren't the only problem. The self-adjusting headband was a torture device that squeezed my melon and pulled my ears up. It was super painful. Unless you hack the guts out of that headphone by stretching/bending the stupid headband and spend another $30 on decent earpads, well the Superlux HD 681 is the worst headphone ever made. Period. And the treble, oh the treble! These were treble nukes. 

lol, did you use other earcups, they work fine for me actually on my 4th pair now considering many people kept buying from me with earpads instead of ordering it themselves

name 40-50 dollar headphones better few yrs ago? gaming wise

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

lol, did you use other earcups, they work fine for me actually on my 4th pair now considering many people kept buying from me with earpads instead of ordering it themselves

name 40-50 dollar headphones better few yrs ago? gaming wise

Beyerdynamic DTX 910 or 810. Done!

1 minute ago, kokakolia said:

Beyerdynamic DTX 910 or 810. Done!

you are adding like 25 more dollars

32 minutes ago, pas008 said:

you are adding like 25 more dollars

Yeah! But you must be a masochist if you use the stock pads on the Superlux HD 681 anyway. And the buyers  remorse of not spending an extra $25 for something that's 1000,000,000 times better is too much to bear. 

4 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Yeah! But you must be a masochist if you use the stock pads on the Superlux HD 681 anyway. And the buyers  remorse of not spending an extra $25 for something that's 1000,000,000 times better is too much to bear. 

lol budget is a budget

do you understand that?

nice excuse

fyi I have many headphones owned many too