FSLabs intentionally installing DRM that can steal your passwords

Arika
Go to solution Solved by daned33,

EDIT: Added ArsTechnica and Motherboard links

This story now has an article from Rock Paper Shotgun, but has original post on reddit

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/19/flight-sim-group-put-malware-in-a-jet-and-called-it-drm/

Motherboard Vice: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pamzqk/fs-labs-flight-simulator-password-malware-drm

Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/flight-sim-devs-say-hidden-password-dump-tool-was-used-to-fight-pirates/

I personally own the said flight simulator aircraft and am absolutely appalled by FlightSimLabs' actions with this blatant spyware in their software, wether it be for pirates or not, they are distributing malware to all their customers.

FlightSimLabs added a Chrome password dumper to their installer, and if someone used a known pirate key their information would be sent to the developers.

The CEO, Lefteris Kalamaras of FlightSimLabs himself stated:

If such a specific serial number is used by a pirate (a person who has illegally obtained our software) and the installer verifies this against the pirate serial numbers stored in our server database, it takes specific measures to alert us… That program is only extracted temporarily and is never under any circumstances used in legitimate copies of the product. The only reason why this file would be detected after the installation completes is only if it was used with a pirate serial number (not blacklisted numbers).

This method has already successfully provided information that we’re going to use in our ongoing legal battles against such criminals.

Source: https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/announcement/10-a320-x-drm-clarification/

Even if they have a clause in the eula that would permit this, it would not be legally binding in the EU as private contracts cannot contradict laws. That's why steam has different eulas and ToS for Americans and Europeans.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I didn't know it was so easy to snatch passwords from a browser. The phrase "Like stealing candy from a baby" comes to mind.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Yes having your passwords stolen is definitely an appropriate response to pirating a game

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

3 hours ago, Notional said:

Pirates don't have that issue. Imagine that.

DRM is getting increasingly draconian, with no point whatsoever. Just look at playready 3, that requires outright hardware to play streams. It's just too much.

This isn't DRM.  This is malware.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This sort of thing is so sad, as flight simulator community is a small one and when a relatively reputable company in that community does something like this the impact will be severe on the market that is already small and niche. 

29 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Wait.. is it that easy to take passwords from the chrome stored passwords? 

I wonder how many people think that having the browser save your password is safe... it seems to be a common misconception.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Stealing private information like passwords is worse than piracy in the eyes of the law, and if they intended on using the information in court against the pirates, lol tough luck, courts toss stolen information like that.

But this is also extremely worrying. What else are they planning on doing with the passwords they illegally obtained? Obviously affected customers should change their passwords and switch to a different password manager, but still.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I wonder how many people think that having the browser save your password is safe... it seems to be a common misconception.

As far as i am concerned nothing that stores passwords is secure.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

some things are better than others though... a lot better

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

i would like to think my brain is rather secure

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

some things are better than others though... a lot better

1 minute ago, Sierra Fox said:

i would like to think my brain is rather secure

Yes, the notebook beside my computer cannot be compromised by software in any way shape or form. 

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yes, the notebook beside my computer cannot be compromised by software in any way shape or form. 

unless you have a webcam that can be hacked into and has a view of the notepad

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

17 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

unless you have a webcam that can be hacked into and has a view of the notepad

This did occur to me tbh.  Also

42 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That implies the book is not safe either

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This did occur to me tbh.  Also

That implies the book is not safe either

technically it's not, anyone can read it.  However it is orders of magnitude safer than any software solution, because to read it you physically have to access my house.

7 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

If you know the path to your chrome directory, yes, very very easy. 

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

... well that’s cool I guess.. I use LastPass but I would think that stuff would be secured.. guess not. Is the “remember me” check boxes also unsafe or are those more secure? Cause I do use those sometimes if it’s something I use hourly 

Just now, Wolther said:

... well that’s cool I guess.. I use LastPass but I would think that stuff would be secured.. guess not. Is the “remember me” check boxes also unsafe or are those more secure? Cause I do use those sometimes if it’s something I use hourly 

"remember me" uses cookies and lastpass is something completely different, but using the browser's built in "remember password" function is very easy to get things out of.

From what Ive read this is the same idiot that was responsible for a previous DRM for another flight simulator addon company PMDG, it pissed off the community as it would malfunction deleting legitimate users' installs (the entire game, not just the addon). It was the MD11 I believe and was pulled from their store some time ago.

The whole situation is sad, from their updates they believe they are in the right and only apologised for offending people. Even posted screenshots of pirate sites they obtained access to through the password theft on their forums.

will be interesting to see what the legalities are of packaging malware into trusted installers and masquerading it as DRM.  

I've always viewed these companies that make products for niche markets to be enthusiast driven and thus, rather more trustworthy than your typical random add-on developer. This is very disappointing to hear. Can't trust anyone these days, not even in such a small niche community.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Criminal code 1995 Cth. (Australia)

478.1  Unauthorised access to, or modification of, restricted data

(1)  A person commits an offence if:

(a)  the person causes any unauthorised access to, or modification of, restricted data; and

(b)  the person intends to cause the access or modification; and

(c)  the person knows that the access or modification is unauthorised.

Penalty:  2 years imprisonment.

(3)  In this section:

restricted data means data:

(a)  held in a computer; and

(b)  to which access is restricted by an access control system associated with a function of the computer.

CPU Name    AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
Frequency    3192.38 MHz (32 * 99.76 MHz) - Uncore: 1064.1 MHz

Motherboard Model    Asus PRIME B350-PLUS
Socket    Socket AM4 (1331)

Memory (RAM) Total Size    32768 MB
Radeon (TM) RX 470 Graphics (Polaris) [8192 MB]

SanDisk Ultra II 894.3 GiB (~960 GB)
Western Digital WDC WD5000LPCX-60VHAT0 465.8 GiB (~500 GB)

ViewSonic VX2457 (VSCB931)
Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit

Tiny brain: Making a $150 add-on for a flight simulator

Growing brain: Making a $150 add-on for a flight simulator with no refund policy

Growing brain: Adding DRM to the add-on's installer

Galaxy brain: Making the DRM steal passwords

but wait. it gets better.

in their weak apology they stated

I also want to thank the majority of our customers who have declared their support and continued trust already but for those who feel their trust was violated, we feel it's only fair to offer full refunds of your paid P3Dv4 purchase, 

they are offering refunds. but this exchange was posted on reddit a few hours ago from someone trying to get a refund.

I submitted my request on Sunday, but they replied stating:

Dear <reddit user>, we've updated our installer to v232 which removes the DRM file in question. Please download the new version to alleviate your concerns. Thank you for your support!

My response:

That doesn’t alleviate my concerns at all. I have removed your product and I am one final time going to request a refund before I seek further remedy.

Leftheadass Calamari says:

What are the concerns not alleviated? The remedy is in place. How can we help you further?

Me:

The concerns are that malware was implanted in the installer which is a major breach of privacy, even though your company alleges the malware was not used for legitimate licenses. You don’t just remove that and pretend everything is okay again. I’m sure I’m not the only one who doesn’t trust you henceforth. You can help me further by deactivating my license and issuing a refund in the full amount paid. Very disappointed.

RADIO SILENCE.

they now think that because they removed the malware from the installer, there is no issue now and trying to get out of giving people refunds.....i foresee a whole bunch of chargebacks in FSLabs' future

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

30 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

but wait. it gets better.

in their weak apology they stated

they are offering refunds. but this exchange was posted on reddit a few hours ago from someone trying to get a refund.

they now think that because they removed the malware from the installer, there is no issue now and trying to get out of giving people refunds.....i foresee a whole bunch of chargebacks in FSLabs' future

Better still, users of the P3dV3 were given a free upgrade to the P3dV4 version of the addon, and are being refused refunds as the V3 version (according to fsl) didnt contain the malware. Meaning they were given the malware version and then no refunds as they originally purchased the V3. Flashbacks of Windows 10 upgrade debacle

/headscratch