Mouse and Keyboard suddenly dies on windows 10 login screen

1cto

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone here could help me for I am now getting a bit frustrated fixing my pc for 2 days. So before this happened my PC was working fine and this is the 1st time ive encountered such a thing. All I did was a disk check as part of my monthly maintenance routine and an auto optimization thingy by Iobit ( my prime suspect ). There were no errors on the disk and just asked me to restart and so I did. Everything was going normal..booting up fast..login screen then viola. Keyboard and mouse died and I can`t login. It was working in BIOS and only dies upon the login screen. Ive been searching the net for fixes and ive tried removing my wires from sockets. Trying different USB ports, USB legacy is enabled and the forced shut downs stuff but to no avail. I heard this is quite a weird bug and hoping that somebody here might be able to help.                                                                          PC Specs: i5-7600k, Asus ROG Hero VIII, Zotac 970, 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, SeasonicG 550, Kingston 120gb SSD, ITB Western Digital, ID cooling SE 214 L, Windows 10 64 bit. BIOS 3504 x64                                                                      Really sorry for my formatting since im not very good when im using my phone. Also I dont overclock. Please help! Thank you for reading!

16 minutes ago, 1cto said:

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone here could help me for I am now getting a bit frustrated fixing my pc for 2 days. So before this happened my PC was working fine and this is the 1st time ive encountered such a thing. All I did was a disk check as part of my monthly maintenance routine and an auto optimization thingy by Iobit ( my prime suspect ). There were no errors on the disk and just asked me to restart and so I did. Everything was going normal..booting up fast..login screen then viola. Keyboard and mouse died and I can`t login. It was working in BIOS and only dies upon the login screen. Ive been searching the net for fixes and ive tried removing my wires from sockets. Trying different USB ports, USB legacy is enabled and the forced shut downs stuff but to no avail. I heard this is quite a weird bug and hoping that somebody here might be able to help.                                                                          PC Specs: i5-7600k, Asus ROG Hero VIII, Zotac 970, 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport, SeasonicG 550, Kingston 120gb SSD, ITB Western Digital, ID cooling SE 214 L, Windows 10 64 bit. BIOS 3504 x64                                                                      Really sorry for my formatting since im not very good when im using my phone. Also I dont overclock. Please help! Thank you for reading!

When they "die" does windows make the noise as if you have removed a flash drive? 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

A couple of options:

(1) leave KB/mouse unplugged when you cold boot the system.

Only plug them in when Win10 asks for login. See what happens.

(2) Try safe mode, see if you get kb/mouse access there. If you do, set up to autostart the virtual kb, that might help a bit.

(3) Try recovery mode, see if you get kb/mouse access there

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

11 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

When they "die" does windows make the noise as if you have removed a flash drive? 

Im afraid not. The led lights suddenly turns off. If i try to replug it. Lights turns on for a couple of seconds but still gives no response. Im using a razer keyboard and a logitech mouse btw if it provides any help.

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

A couple of options:

(1) leave KB/mouse unplugged when you cold boot the system.

Only plug them in when Win10 asks for login. See what happens.

(2) Try safe mode, see if you get kb/mouse access there. If you do, set up to autostart the virtual kb, that might help a bit.

(3) Try recovery mode, see if you get kb/mouse access there

I tried 1 already but I can't do #2 and 3 since i cant get past the login screen.

The only things that can be suggested then are:

1- Use a windows installer to get into safe mode.

2- Reinstall Windows

3- Use a different keyboard and mouse to log in and then reinstall drivers and re boot, if you have the same issue enable automatic login on windows. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

1 hour ago, fixitnow said:

The only things that can be suggested then are:

1- Use a windows installer to get into safe mode.

2- Reinstall Windows

3- Use a different keyboard and mouse to log in and then reinstall drivers and re boot, if you have the same issue enable automatic login on windows. 

Okay I will try this as soon as I can get my hands on those since I currenly don't have any of those right now.  Thank you for the response!I appreciate it. Will update soon.

12 minutes ago, 1cto said:

Okay I will try this as soon as I can get my hands on those since I currenly don't have any of those right now.  Thank you for the response!I appreciate it. Will update soon.

Long shot but if the usb system is dead.. if ur plugged into 3.0 then try 2.0 instead or something?