Freezing and loud buzzing sound followed by shutdown and restart.

da_knug
Go to solution Solved by da_knug,

For anyone following this, or finding it in the future because of similar problems, I have concluded that the problem in this chase likely was CPU related, namely the CPU being starved of voltage as I had applied a moderate 5.0GHz OC and then set an adaptive voltage with a negative offset of 100mV. I lowered the offset to 75mV and haven't had a crash since.

Lately I've been experiencing quite a lot of random unexpected shutdowns, the pc freezes and a loud "buzzing" sound comming from the speakers. This goes on for about half a minute to one full minute (if I don't intervene by pressing the reset button) the pc will then restart automatically and everything eves with me getting the windows update screen splashed in my face at boot. A very quick and smal update. 

This mainly happens when I play the witcher 3, but it have happened in chrome to. Although much more seldom. So it might be a bug within that game, I've had other problmes with it aswell suck as random CTD's. But I don't really wanna reinstall the game as its 50 bloddy gigs and I have pretty slow internet. 

Its a rather new pc, custom build and overclocked. I dunno if that might be the issue but I don't think so as its gotten through multiple hours of Aida64. Alternatively, however unlikely,  as I have a 8th gen i5,  it could be the specter/meltdown patch that's come to haunt me. Additionally I do have the latest Nvidia drivers so that shouldn't be the problem. 

Core I5 8600k @5GHz | Asus Strix OC GeForce GTX 1070 | 2x8 GB DDR4 2666MHz | Fractal Design Define C TG | Fractal Design Celcius S24 | Crucial MX300 525GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM HDD | MSI Krait Gaming z370

Ram or cpu is a problem here. What are your overclock or xmp settings? 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

1 minute ago, Airdragonz said:

Ram or cpu is a problem here. What are your overclock or xmp settings? 

The CPU is overclocked to 5.0 GHz with adaptive voltage with a negative offset of 100 mV. The ram is speced and bought as 2400 MHz but overclocked to 2666 MHZ

Core I5 8600k @5GHz | Asus Strix OC GeForce GTX 1070 | 2x8 GB DDR4 2666MHz | Fractal Design Define C TG | Fractal Design Celcius S24 | Crucial MX300 525GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM HDD | MSI Krait Gaming z370

Try to clock your ram back down to 2400. See what happens. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

11 minutes ago, Aiedail said:

The CPU is overclocked to 5.0 GHz with adaptive voltage with a negative offset of 100 mV. The ram is speced and bought as 2400 MHz but overclocked to 2666 MHZ

Try dialling back the overclock until it's stable. I would also guess that temperatures are involved too. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I'll try that, Thanks!

16 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Try dialling back the overclock until it's stable. I would also guess that temperatures are involved too. 

I don't think it's about temps, I have a 240 mill rad, and during gaming, at the most intense places, I rarely exceed 75% CPU usage, with temps maxing out in the high fifties. But I'll try scaling down the ram OC and maybe the negative offset on the CPU, it might be starved of voltage. 

For anyone following this, or finding it in the future because of similar problems, I have concluded that the problem in this chase likely was CPU related, namely the CPU being starved of voltage as I had applied a moderate 5.0GHz OC and then set an adaptive voltage with a negative offset of 100mV. I lowered the offset to 75mV and haven't had a crash since.