The difference between Dell's S,P, U series of monitors.

mrchow19910319

I may have to build my friends a PC.

He only games occasionally. And does not need a gaming monitor, 

When I check dell's site, there are different series of monitor which has different price point.

What are the differences between these models? 

IPS TN PLS panel, which one is better when it comes to viewing angle? I know TN is for gaming and have bad viewing angle and colour accuracy.

Also I personally used two Dell monitor. 

1. S2340L. I absolutely love this monitor. The viewing angle is really great and it was perfect for me. (1080p)
  2. P2416D Although this one is a 1440p monitor I felt that compares to my old 2340L it feels kind of blur to me. 

If he wants a 1080 P screen, (I recommend him one cos he does not game, and @ 1440p you need to deal with scaling on windows which is not that great, 4k is out of the question because of budget) which one should I get for him? I want him to have the best viewing experience and basically let the monitor pamper his eyes. He watches movie a lot on his PC. Since he does not game much I will probably get him a 1060 or 1050Ti. 

Do you guys have any recommendations ? Which model should I choose for him? Also he wants a 27 inch monitor , cos he thinks that the bigger the better. I think that if he wants to go for 27 inch then he should get at least a 1440p monitor otherwise everything is too pixelated. 

What do you guys think??

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

“PLS is produced by Samsung, who claims that compared to IPS panels, PLS panels have better viewing angles, a 10% increase in brightness, 15% decrease in production costs, increased image quality, and allow for flexible panels.”

“P is professional. They're typically IPS displays and designed for businesses and offices. Usually have good color calibration. they're comparable to the S and U at times but with a focus on productivity.

S is studio or entertainment/gaming. They look nice, usually IPS, glossy, edge-to-edge glass, etc, costs more than the E series. Color calibration is great. Majority of people are usually satisfied with this series. 

U is ultrasharp (as you already know). They're the premium line. All IPS, excellent color calibration, looks great, have the latest digital ports (hdmi, displayport, thunderbolt maybe), advanced color controls, etc.”

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Just wondering, if he games at all what kinda games does he play?

some old game like devil may cry, prototype 1 and 2 etc.

most of the time he uses it to watch movie and stream music. but he wants this PC to last him for years. 

3 hours ago, VinsinityKT said:

so for the best viewing experience i should get him a U series monitor right? 

U>S>P ? 

also I think he should get either a 24 inch 1080p monitor or a 27 inch 1440p monitor. 

cos I think 1080p looks too blurry on a 27 inch. 

should i advise him this? 

14 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Then refresh rate doesn't matter much at all.    

thats why I want him to have a great monitor and pair it with a 1060 or 1050Ti. 

I think I need to at least put a 1060 in it. (and i5 8400)

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Eh, not really if he doesn't game much or does enough pro works.  You can play those games just fine with a 280x even, so unless he needs the power of 1060 then I'd just get a 1050ti or used an older card like maybe a 770 or 280x/the cheapest option.  770 2gb is around a 1050, 770 4gb is around a 1050 ti.  The main difference is the 1050ti would have newer support for things like vr and other stuff.  And, the 1050ti would use less power than either older option.

i will confirm with him... i dont want him to feel cheated... what if all of a sudden he decides to play GTA V..... then got a sub-optimal frame rate..