Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Zero RPM psu on low load, low wattage, lowish price

Go to solution Solved by Stefan Payne,
1 hour ago, saras said:

I'm looking for a low wattage PSU that doesn't engage its fan on when the system isn't at load. The problem is that google only really gives me PSUs with ridiculously large wattages for my intended use case.

No, you want a PSU with a good fan and low RPM (500rpm or lower).

The ones that come to mind are Cougar LX (too expensive), be quiet Pure Power 10 (400W and up), Straight Power 10 and 11.

And surprisingly Xilence Performance A+ and X, though the other ones are better...

Semi Fanless doesn't give you anything if the manufactorer didn't cheaped out on the fan...

1 hour ago, saras said:

This is for a potato build for my mum, basicaly 2200g or 2400g and no GPU. So I'm not really expecting on breaking 100W's here

Sadly there are no good quality PSU under 400W on the market right now.

And if there were, they wouldn't be any cheaper than the 400W counterparts...

I'm looking for a low wattage PSU that doesn't engage its fan on when the system isn't at load. The problem is that google only really gives me PSUs with ridiculously large wattages for my intended use case.

This is for a potato build for my mum, basicaly 2200g or 2400g and no GPU. So I'm not really expecting on breaking 100W's here

Can we have specs? Can't recommend a PSU wattage without knowing the pc's power draw.

My Main PC

CPUIntel Core i5 6600K CPU Cooler - Corsair H80i v2 Motherboard - ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 GAMING ITX/AC RAM - 1x HyperX FURY 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 GPU - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Founders Edition  Storage - 1x HyperX FURY 120GB SSD, 1x WD Blue 1TB 2.5" HDD, 1x WD Black 330GB 2.5" HDD Power Supply - EVGA Supernova 650W G3 Case - Silverstone SUGO SG13B

Most of the PSUs that I'm aware of that don't turn on the fan until a certain load are the Corsair AX series, and (IIRC), the RM/RMx series.

But it's true, most PSUs that have this feature usually output higher wattage.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Tech News Posting Guidelines // How to use the forum // Join Floatplane! // Floatplane Support Wizard // Join the LTT Official Discord // How To Get Used PC Parts Cheaper Than Ebay or Craigslist // Intel HEDT Discussion //

7 minutes ago, nickyteddy said:

Can we have specs? Can't recommend a PSU wattage without knowing the pc's power draw.

A 65W CPU (Either ryzen 2200g or 2400g), 2 sticks of crappy DDR4 ram and an old crucial 400 ssd I have in my drawer.

I'm more or less aware of the needed wattage, I just don't really want to buy a 500W+ psu for this potato just to have it be silent on me.

8 minutes ago, saras said:

A 65W CPU (Either ryzen 2200g or 2400g), 2 sticks of crappy DDR4 ram and an old crucial 400 ssd I have in my drawer.

I'm more or less aware of the needed wattage, I just don't really want to buy a 500W+ psu for this potato just to have it be silent on me.

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Most of the PSUs that I'm aware of that don't turn on the fan until a certain load are the Corsair AX series, and (IIRC), the RM/RMx series.

But it's true, most PSUs that have this feature usually output higher wattage.

PSU's fans don't come on based on load - they come on based on how hot the PSU is. So as long as the PSU is cool it won't need to spin the fan loudly.

The Corsair CXM has a pretty quiet fan. If you're using a dGPU-less system then it's a good pick for you.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

PSU's fans don't come on based on load - they come on based on how hot the PSU is. So as long as the PSU is cool it won't need to spin the fan loudly.

The Corsair CXM has a pretty quiet fan. If you're using a dGPU-less system then it's a good pick for you.

The lowest wattage one I can find is 450W. That seems a wee bit overkill, considering.

Honestly, ideally I'd like one that's pretty much passively cooled.

Does it matter if it's modular or not?

My Main PC

CPUIntel Core i5 6600K CPU Cooler - Corsair H80i v2 Motherboard - ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 GAMING ITX/AC RAM - 1x HyperX FURY 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 GPU - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Founders Edition  Storage - 1x HyperX FURY 120GB SSD, 1x WD Blue 1TB 2.5" HDD, 1x WD Black 330GB 2.5" HDD Power Supply - EVGA Supernova 650W G3 Case - Silverstone SUGO SG13B

2 minutes ago, saras said:

The lowest wattage one I can find is 450W. That seems a wee bit overkill, considering.

Honestly, ideally I'd like one that's pretty much passively cooled.

Passive PSU's (EG: Silverstone Nightjar (or some similar spelling)) tend to be very expensive. So it's probably just better to spend 40-50 on a 450w CXM rather than 130-180 on 400-500w Passive PSU. (The cheapest one I could find is a 115 USD Seasonic unit.)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I don't care about modularity in this specific case. Noise and price are my only real considerations. If I can't find anything better, the CX450M will have to do.

The Pure Power 10 400W should be fairly quiet. It doesn't have a passive mode, but it uses an actually decent fan. Look at Cybenetics' testing for numbers

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

1 hour ago, saras said:

No, you want a PSU with a good fan and low RPM (500rpm or lower).

The ones that come to mind are Cougar LX (too expensive), be quiet Pure Power 10 (400W and up), Straight Power 10 and 11.

And surprisingly Xilence Performance A+ and X, though the other ones are better...

Semi Fanless doesn't give you anything if the manufactorer didn't cheaped out on the fan...

1 hour ago, saras said:

Sadly there are no good quality PSU under 400W on the market right now.

And if there were, they wouldn't be any cheaper than the 400W counterparts...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"