ASUS STRIX GTX 970 CRASH WHILE GAMING

Back in 2014 when I first purchased GTX 970, it worked just fine. It started causing problems from September 2017.

My nvidia driver stopped working and has recovered message pops up when not gaming.

While playing The Witcher 3 or any demanding titles at 1080p ultra settings in fullscreen, for one hour it runs fine but later the display shuts down and no signal appears on screen. The game runs in the background but there is no display.

I tried unplugging and plugging HDMI, also quit the game but display didn't return. I also Clean installed Windows 10 thrice. Nothing worked for me. Also MSI Afterburner didn't helped me, the display just crashes with no signal error. The only option which works for me is restarting my PC (hard reboot)

My Desktop Specifications are :

Intel core i5 4440

RAM Corsair Value Select 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz

PSU Corsair VS550 550W

Motherboard ECS elitegroup b85hm m1

GPU Asus Strix Nvidia GTX 970 OC

Display Dell S2216H (Connected via HDMI)

OS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Please help me solve this issue, I don't have enough money to buy a new Rig or any new components.

Please help me LTT community

6 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

Back in 2014 when I first purchased GTX 970, it worked just fine. It started causing problems from September 2017.

My nvidia driver stopped working and has recovered message pops up when not gaming.

While playing The Witcher 3 or any demanding titles at 1080p ultra settings in fullscreen, for one hour it runs fine but later the display shuts down and no signal appears on screen. The game runs in the background but there is no display.

I tried unplugging and plugging HDMI, also quit the game but display didn't return. I also Clean installed Windows 10 thrice. Nothing worked for me. Also MSI Afterburner didn't helped me, the display just crashes with no signal error. The only option which works for me is restarting my PC (hard reboot)

My Desktop Specifications are :

Intel core i5 4440

RAM Corsair Value Select 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz

PSU Corsair VS550 550W

Motherboard ECS elitegroup b85hm m1

GPU Asus Strix Nvidia GTX 970 OC

Display Dell S2216H (Connected via HDMI)

OS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Please help me solve this issue, I don't have enough money to buy a new Rig or any new components.

Please help me LTT community

Temps?

DId you monitor your temps?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

event viewer logs?

ddu/reinstall drivers

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Proably you pushed it to hard while overclocking, we need you to post your temperatures.

When I get those problems I always do this:

1- Take off any overclocks you  have (cpu + gpu + ram)

2- Download and Install DDU, deinstall all drivers, reboot pc, download the drivers from the Nvidia website and reinstall them.

3- Search on TechPowerup for a new "vga bios" (if you google vga bios, you'll find the site). Check with GPU-z if the version shown on the site is newer than the one the gpu is running... If not, I flash the new bios onto the card with nvflash64.

4- Still problems? I take the card out of the system... Give it a good cleanup with compressed air (and with older cards I change the thermal paste, but this is a 970 so it is most likely not needed).

5- Cry a lot a look up if there's still a warranty of some kind.

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Default your card. Reinstall older drivers. Retest from there. You edited your clock, think  a bit more ther ocing is easier than it was but its still ocing. Everyone uses software ocing (ROFL), but if you find the best temps+performance under a high load (night over 12 hours) its best to just flash its bios. Or else let someone else oc. Oc is a slow process step by step and every chip is different just like cars. 

I've uninstalled Nvidia drivers and installed the old one from Disc. I've also set default clock speed, memory speed on MSI Afterburner. There were no Temp issues. It ran smooth around 71℃.

Temp never rised above 71℃ during crash.

The moment I started Unigine Valley benchmark at Full screen, The Display crashed with a Black Screen.

Nothing worked for me. I had to restart my PC.

33 minutes ago, Goildzy said:

Default your card. Reinstall older drivers. Retest from there. You edited your clock, think  a bit more ther ocing is easier than it was but its still ocing. Everyone uses software ocing (ROFL), but if you find the best temps+performance under a high load (night over 12 hours) its best to just flash its bios. Or else let someone else oc. Oc is a slow process step by step and every chip is different just like cars. 

My display Crashes the moment GPU gets some load while benchmarking.

Just now, keshavcolonel said:

My display Crashes the moment GPU gets some load while benchmarking.

Well, that's the point, you should remove your overclock, check it's temps.

28 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

Well, I did what you said.

Now the temp at which the Display Crashed was 55 C

Also I've restored to default clocks.

Unigine_Valley_Benchmark_1.0_20180214_0546.html

Do you experience any artefacting in games/benchmarks?

33 minutes ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

Do you experience any artefacting in games/benchmarks?

Nope.

I guess it must be a Display issue, My PC worked very fine when I used SONY BRAVIA CX52 as Monitor.

3 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

Nope.

I guess it must be a Display issue, My PC worked very fine when I used SONY BRAVIA CX52 as Monitor.

Possible, i'd recommend trying iGPU or checking the card on a different rig if it's an option for you.