Dear Linus, Not all phones with removable batteries are "fat"

Egg-Roll

Here are a few phones that are as thin or thinner within the last model year:

With in .5mm of the iPhone X, or the thickness of 5 human hairs...

1. LG V20 (Sept. 2016, 0.3mm bigger than V30, 100mah battery less than the V30, still 0.1mm thinner than the iPhone X)
  2. LG Aristo 2 (0.4mm bigger than the X)

3. LG Harmony (0.1mm thinner than the X)

4. LG Stylo 3 Plus (0.3 mm thinner than the X)

5. Many models in India are thinner based on online info than the USA counterparts.

Fun fact the J7 on the US page Vs India's are identical spec wise (what I saw) but the thinness of the unit, Best buy advertises it as .30", which one is correct for USA? I'd say BB because advertising a removable battery that is actually thinner than their flagship is bad.

It's complete BS that removable batteries cause bulk, if anything non-removable adds bulk in some cases to prevent issues, issues that would not exist with removable ones. The only reason why Flagships are all non-removable is to force users to upgrade when batteries start to fail after 2 or so years. Tho I've not yet had a battery issue that wasn't cause by a companies stupid UI (looking at Sony here), regardless of age, all working phones have great batteries still.

10 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

LMG dont do extensive research.

As much as i want to disagree with this... in quite a few videos from the past couple months it seems like they dont o.O 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

LMG dont tend to do extensive research.

This is extensive research + googling to view the info on either the companies main site or various other reliable sites? My phone (Stylo 3) didn't show up on the list yet is removable so there could be actually more...

https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2017&nThicknessMax=9&idBatRemovable=1

Linus must be working his workers like slaves if they dont have 5 minutes to get proper facts...

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

For more in depth videos, check out tech quickie, thats the main channel with educational videos of which contain extensive research. Of course they have to do research before making a video, and as @RKRiley mentioned, I feel like myself that in the past couple of months, I don't think they have gone too in depth in terms of extensive research. 

1 minute ago, TheBeastPC said:

For more in depth videos, check out tech quickie, thats the main channel with educational videos of which contain extensive research. Of course they have to do research before making a video, and as @RKRiley mentioned, I feel like myself that in the past couple of months, I don't think they have gone too in depth in terms of extensive research. 

Yeah, tech quickie will always have extensive research done for the videos. Can't fault them ones.

The LTT videos are where I feel they've been lacking a little bit, just to clear that up :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

5 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Linus must be working his workers like slaves if they dont have 5 minutes to get proper facts...

They've all been slacking hard

3 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

-snip-

I actually want to see Linus's excuse is for handing out false info... Afterall anything bigger than 8.4mm would not fit in your *insert favorite items* pocket...

(I understand the thickness removes distance for touching screens but I doubt 1mm would kill a purchase)

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

They've all been slacking hard

All play and no work makes working at LMG a fun and easy place to work at :) Where do I apply?

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Is that why they are always late?

Possibly. Maybe too much PUBG?

Tho you have to give them credit for Friday, being on time for once :P

I have to admit though, some of LMGs videos are informative, to the extend where yes, extensive research was done. 

5 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

I have to admit though, some of LMGs videos are informative, to the extend where yes, extensive research was done. 

I guess it depends on the writer for the video.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

26 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Possibly. Maybe too much PUBG?

Tho you have to give them credit for Friday, being on time for once :P

I wouldnt know, got sick and tired waiting on children to show up on time.

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I wouldnt know, got sick and tired waiting on children to show up on time.

xD

Truth be told I've not touched a multiplayer mode in over a year, too much stupid... I've even given up trying to watch the WAN show live...

30 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

A fair number of TechQuickie videos seem to of been decently researched or at least wikipediad (Who cares, it's now a word)

9 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Not liking THICC phones...

When I googled THICC, it actually brings up something valid, the second you put any case on a phone the slim sleek looks everyone seems to associate with non-removable batteries basically becomes a moot point...

Then there are those sexy iPhone cases... Because Sexy...

s-l1600.jpg

The mere fact that Techquickie videos don't have any references in the description gives off an impression that most of it is a Wikipedia rip off which they know is one of the least reliable sources given how anyone can edit it or it could be as simple as adding references to the description is apparently very hard whoever in their team uploaded the video.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Who cares about thickness anyway. I have never seen anyone in a phone shop with a pair of calipers and I am pretty sure no one can tell one phone is .5mm thicker than another even if they are holding both phones at the same time. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

When I googled THICC, it actually brings up something valid, the second you put any case on a phone the slim sleek looks everyone seems to associate with non-removable batteries basically becomes a moot point...

Then there are those sexy iPhone cases... Because Sexy...

Making the battery removable doesn't increase the phone's thickness in a significant way.

It's also true that metal gets weaker the thinner it gets, this is especially problematic with aluminum.

I personally would prefer a thicker phone with better durability and battery life, but my preferences doesn't apply to everyone.

One thing to consider, is that a removable battery would give the user some customizability, such as adding a separate elongated back to allow for bigger batteries.

In fact, I was able to do that with a Samsung galaxy S3.  The battery lasted for around 3 days,

3 hours ago, RKRiley said:

As much as i want to disagree with this... in quite a few videos from the past couple months it seems like they dont o.O 

This video was an embarrassment

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Who cares about thickness anyway. I have never seen anyone in a phone shop with a pair of calipers and I am pretty sure no one can tell one phone is .5mm thicker than another even if they are holding both phones at the same time. 

That makes my post just that much more annoying to Linus :P Think of it, if 4/5 phones are currently on the market with removable batteries that are only 0.5mm or less/thinner in thickness, granted not as powerful but some with equal battery and screen size (trust me smaller makes things just that much worst), and the thickness is really nothing unless it's mm's in difference (like 3/5mm bigger), what grounds is there to claim removable batteries are bulky?

Besides putting them side to side, the bezel vs bezel less designs, the design w/o the bezel will always look thinner via optical illusion...

4 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Making the battery removable doesn't increase the phone's thickness in a significant way.

It's also true that metal gets weaker the thinner it gets, this is especially problematic with aluminum.

I personally would prefer a thicker phone with better durability and battery life, but my preferences doesn't apply to everyone.

One thing to consider, is that a removable battery would give the user some customizability, such as adding a separate elongated back to allow for bigger batteries.

In fact, I was able to do that with a Samsung galaxy S3.  The battery lasted for around 3 days,

Very true, but the iPhone X is made from steel so that's not much of a issue.

Even tho my phone is "thinner" than the iPhone X even w/o a case it's dropped a few times (once or twice w/o its case), it's actually a decently built phone. However as long as the materials are good a thicker phone will likely provide better durability even if only 1-2mm thicker.

A bigger battery would be awesome but they are kind of out of style now as not many would buy them, they rather buy the ebay china fake ones claiming 7500mah in the same size as the 3500 retail one... Sadly the ones I found for my phone don't ship to canada... That said I guess I'll have to keep using my 10,000 mah power banks...

24 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

only 0.5mm or less/thinner in thickness, granted not as powerful but some with equal battery and screen size (trust me smaller makes things just that much worst), and the thickness is really nothing unless it's mm's in difference

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

I have never seen anyone in a phone shop with a pair of calipers and I am pretty sure no one can tell one phone is .5mm thicker than another even if they are holding both phones at the same time. 

Let's talk about how thin 0.5 mm really is.

DSC_0606.thumb.JPG.6c958c9e132f110ea43aeef08b8bfcde.JPG

This thin.

40 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Very true, but the iPhone X is made from steel so that's not much of a issue.

I didn't know that.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

This video was an embarrassment

Just that vid you say, I say more then that

7 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

This thin.

I didn't know that.

Speaking as someone who works with timber (building staircases in my spare time) and steel (build trailers in my spare time), I work with tolerances of less than 1mm all the time. Because if I don't the end result is going to be an illegal and ugly staircase or a trailer that crab walks down the road.   I can assure you even experienced tradesmen like me can't feel that difference. unless the two surfaces are touching and I can feel across both (can't do that with a curved phone).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

This thin.

I didn't know that.

Should have put a penny for safe measures xD Unless you're in Canada who's about to remove the Nickel as well...

Yea, no idea why the X went stainless but it did... They claim durability but the glass will still break upon dropping...

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

unless the two surfaces are touching and I can feel across both (can't do that with a curved phone).

Use a digital level :P

https://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Angle-Gauge-Level-Magnets/dp/B00MDUFUMS

61nXZERuNDL._SL1500_.jpg

But yea curved edges leave a optical illusion which makes the phones thinner looking...