Can ASUS X399 ROG ZENITH EXTREME hold 4 1080ti?

Marshall Chang

Hi Guys,

Just joined this community and has seen ton of support from my last post! Good to see so many enthusiasts out there! So, I just ordered the ASUS X399 ROG ZENITH EXTREME for my TR build. I plan to plug in 4 1080ti on the board to use the full 16*8*16*8 PCIe configuration. For the graphic card, I ordered Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, which seems to have decent 3 fans with good cooling for the price. But I am growing to concern about whether the motherboard can physically fit in 4 of these Gigabyte cards? 

In the specs I see that the GPU is 5.6 x 11.5 x 2.2 inch in dimension. I am just not sure if it's too big when plugged next to each other. Here's the link to the GPU specs:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXJMF19?ref_=pe_1815430_211938580

http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TAORUS-X-11GD#sp

Here's the link to the X399 motherboard:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748K1F99?ref_=pe_1815430_211938580

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/specifications/

In the pictures the PCIe slots look pretty far apart, but will the GPU be too thick? Thank you guys.

A18STzSxDnL._SL1500_.jpg

71JbXqyfZIL._SL1000_.jpg

I would say no as the card may have a 2 slot bracket, but the cooler overhangs and would take up space from the next slot down. So in reality you would only be able to fit two of those cards in there.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If you're using for gaming you're wasting a lot of money, I'd probbly go for a 2 slot card instead of a 3 slot

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

4 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

That GPU is 3 slots wide.

Will that be too much for the board? 3 slots seems a lot for anything. It's a wide card.. 

2 minutes ago, That-Something_ said:

If you're using for gaming you're wasting a lot of money, I'd probbly go for a 2 slot card instead of a 3 slot

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Should fit fine, what are you mining?

I am using it for machine learning, so the more card in parallel the better. For gaming I think it's actually worse as Quad-SLI is not that easy.

3 minutes ago, Marshall Chang said:

I am using it for machine learning, so the more card in parallel the better. For gaming I think it's actually worse as Quad-SLI is not that easy.

you can only do this with 2-slot cards, as there is only 2 slots of spacing between each PCIe X16 slot.

the founders edition or EVGA's 1080Ti's are 2-slot cards. or you could always watercool them!

1 minute ago, Name Taken said:

You can fit 3 of these cards in slots 1,3,6.

Thanks a lot. If I have another GPU that only takes 2 slots as the 4th one, namely the ASUS ROG STRIX, could that fit? 

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

buy ASUS MINER mobo

why should he?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

you can only do this with 2-slot cards, as there is only 2 slots of spacing between each PCIe X16 slot.

the founders edition or EVGA's 1080Ti's are 2-slot cards. or you could always watercool them!

1 minute ago, Name Taken said:

No, the STRIX is 2.5 slots. EVGA and MSI makes 2 slot cards or use blower style/Founders Edition or watercool them.

I see. Looks like I got the wrong card for the task.... Thanks! Yeah the watercooling can be a pain. If I get the founder edition seems like I have to do that.

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

why should he?

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

buy ASUS MINER mobo

Mining boards mostly have a ton of PCIe*1. My task require good bandwidth, at least *8 to run the 1080ti without bottlenecking.

Just now, Canada EH said:

also buy a test bench case or build your own to secure gpus with the risers

Sounds good, I am planning to do the build with Cosari 540 or Cooler Master P700 I believe. Should be enough place. Thanks!