Simple PSU cover / shroud (how-to)

Squabba

Hey guys! I recently made a PSU/hard drive cover/shroud, and I wanted to share it with everyone, as well as tell you how I did it so maybe some of you can make one too. It is actually really simple, and it only cost me around $20 total. This price will differ depending on where you live.

What you will need:

> Sheet of thin metal

> Spray paint for metal surfaces (choose your color scheme)

> Painters tape (choose your sizes/design)

> Ruler

> Sand paper

How to:

Step 1. Go to your local hardware store and buy all of the materials you need. While you're there, have them bend and cut a sheet of thin metal following the measurements you made. Rub the outer surface of the metal with fine sand paper to help the paint adhere.

post-43125-0-66210000-1387224910.jpg

Step 2. Clean off the surface of the metal and apply your first layer of paint. The color you choose will later be the contrast color of the completed piece. Spray the paint on very lightly and go slow. Rushing it will only cause your final piece to not turn out as nice. Do about 6 passes then let it dry for 4-5 hours (depending on the outside temperature; hotter air dries it faster.)

Step 3. After the first coat it fully dried (I waited a whole night, just let it sit in the house,) check if the paint is see through. You might need to do another coat of that color if it isn't thick enough. If it IS thick enough, and dry, tape off the design you want. You can see mine at the bottom of this post.

Step 4. Apply your second coat of paint. This color will be the main color of the piece, unless of course you are doing more than 2 coats, which in that case just repeat step 2. Let this coat completely dry and cure a little bit (about a day) and then peel off the tape. Now you should have a nice clean line around your design, and it will look great if you did it properly!

post-43125-0-24925100-1387225481.jpg

Step 5. Put the finished shroud in place in your PC. You can use sticky side velco to fasten it, or just place it in there tightly like I did. Now you have a sharp looking shroud to boost the aesthetics of your rig as well as hide any cables or drives.

Step 6. Take some nice pictures and post them in this thread!

Here is my before and after shots!

BEFORE

post-43125-0-23280300-1387225553.jpg

AFTER

post-43125-0-14026200-1387225565.jpg

post-43125-0-44144500-1387225575.jpg

Thanks for checking out my simple PSU shroud "how-to!"

Only victors are allowed to live... this world is merciless like that.

can you use any spray paint or do you need a specific type?

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

I used all purpose paint. So find some that says it works for plastic, metal, wood, etc. Also don't get the cheap paint get something in the middle to high price area.

And thank you nsyed!

Looks nice. Too bad I have a 120mm fan on the floor of my case...

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Make a shroud with some modders mesh above the fan area?

Nicely done, waiting on my 750D to get here tomorrow. I might have to make one myself.

Nice man, and thank you. Yeah I didn't have the right size tape, I actually wanted the bottom white line to be much thinner. I would suggest just taking your time, and if you mess up just get a new piece of metal haha. That sheet only cost me $2!

Hey guys! I recently made a PSU/hard drive cover/shroud, and I wanted to share it with everyone, as well as tell you how I did it so maybe some of you can make one too. It is actually really simple, and it only cost me around $20 total. This price will differ depending on where you live.

What you will need:

> Sheet of thin metal

> Spray paint for metal surfaces (choose your color scheme)

> Painters tape (choose your sizes/design)

> Ruler

> Sand paper

Hey that's the Corsair 350D right?

I'm ordering that case for my build would you mind giving me the dimensions for the shroud your using and brand of black paint?

Looks really sick and I'd love to add that to my build!

Project Drogon

• Intel 4670k, MSI GTX 780, MSI Z87-G43 Gaming, G.SKiLL Ripjaws 8GB, Kingston V300 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold Modular, Corsair Air Series 540 Cube, Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

The shroud dimensions:

14 1/2" Length

10 1/8" Width

The Width is bent at 6 1/4"

Notes:

- The height comes out to 3 7/8", but you don't need to pay attention to that if you make the bend at 6 1/4"

- I had to cut part of the tabs on the hard drive sleds. You will see what I mean when you make yours. It won't affect anything and you can still use them fine.

PM me tomorrow for the paint type. It's in the garage and I'm about to go to sleep so yeah =D

The shroud dimensions:

14 1/2" Length

10 1/8" Width

The Width is bent at 6 1/4"

Notes:

- The height comes out to 3 7/8", but you don't need to pay attention to that if you make the bend at 6 1/4"

- I had to cut part of the tabs on the hard drive sleds. You will see what I mean when you make yours. It won't affect anything and you can still use them fine.

PM me tomorrow for the paint type. It's in the garage and I'm about to go to sleep so yeah =D

So I get a sheet metal cut to the size of 14 1/2" Length  10 1/8" Width.

What do I tell the guy at the hardware store? To bend it at 6 1/4"?

Sorry haven't ever done anything like this want to make sure I get all the info right.

Project Drogon

• Intel 4670k, MSI GTX 780, MSI Z87-G43 Gaming, G.SKiLL Ripjaws 8GB, Kingston V300 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold Modular, Corsair Air Series 540 Cube, Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

Grrrr another thing I'll need to do make my build look nice (planning to paint the GPU shroud, etc.) :3 

Looks pretty darn sweet  :)

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

So I get a sheet metal cut to the size of 14 1/2" Length  10 1/8" Width.

What do I tell the guy at the hardware store? To bend it at 6 1/4"?

Sorry haven't ever done anything like this want to make sure I get all the info right.

Yes just get those measurements and ask for a 90 degree bend at 6 1/4" (width wise) (basically just make sure it stays 14 1/2" length)

Oh and Tundra the paint brand is Rust-Oleum =D

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but just Googled across this now, looks very nice. I think I'll do this on my 750d :)

In case you happen to live in Canada as well, think a place like Home Depot would sell and metal like this?

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Mate, come on it's hardly a how to, you only painted it, what if your local store doesn't bend sheet metal ?  :rolleyes:

MSI Z87 XPower, I5 4670k, 4x4gb Avexir MPower, 2 x HD7950, XFX Pro750w, Intel 335 180gb boot, 250gb Samy pro games, 60gb OCZ Vertex music, Monsta 420,ST30 360, 140mm / 120mm Akasa Vipers in push pull, D5 Vario, Koolance top, Bitspower ZMulti250, Fesser Fittings all round, Mayhems sunset Yellow, 32" LG monitor, 23" Asus monitor, Microlab Solo 7c's, Bheringer MS20's, R.A.T7, Steelseries Merc Stealth

Great Job thanks for posting im gonna attempt this tomorrow
if it turns out good ill post some pics

Sorry to bump an old thread but just Googled across this now, looks very nice. I think I'll do this on my 750d :)

In case you happen to live in Canada as well, think a place like Home Depot would sell and metal like this?

I don't live in Canada, but I guarantee Home Depot would have what you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Men, your Tutorial Helps me a Lot........Because im also planning to create a metal shroud for my Case to hide my Power Supply with bulky cables.

As a request, can u create a new tutorial about hard drive cage shroud?  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

My RIG CPU:Intel Core i5 6600K OC'ed 4.5 GHz Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS 10X Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z270M D3H RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4  GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256 bit GDDR5 Storage: SEAGATE Sv35 1 TB and WD Green 2 TB . PSU: Seasonic S12ii 520W Case: Cooler Master N200

@Gamedex, Yes I will do another tutorial over the summer. It will probably be with acrylic and how to bend, etc. Good luck on your project!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @Squabba I also have a 350d and was looking into making one of these could I please have your measurements? :)

• 4 weeks later...

FYI I'm in the middle of attempting this on my 750D. I have a friend that works at a HVAC shop, so he offered to bend some galvanized steel for me into the proper shape. Since it's galvanized steel I'll have to do a bit of chemistry to paint it. I've also ordered a custom 3d printed nameplate that I'll be painting and attaching to the shroud.

Right now I'm working on getting the design I plan on painting printed out as some sort of stencil. Maybe just get it printed on a large-format printer and then glue that to some cardboard or foamcore?

Anyway, here's the end goal:

PSU+Shroud.jpg

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F