Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC sometimes takes longer than normal to shutdown

Go to solution Solved by Sergio45,

Tried everything that was recommended and with no results. 

What I did that seemed to fix the issue is the following:

*In advanced power options disabled: USB selective suspend setting.

*In "Choose what the power buttons do" disabled "turn on fast startup".

*In my bios enabled: EuP 2013. 

Doing a few shutdowns.The PC turns off within a matter of seconds rather than minutes. 

Thanks guys for all the recommendations. :) 

Hey guys, 

CPU: i7 7700K

GPU: GTX 1070

PSU: 850 Watts Gold 

RAM: 8GB

SSD: 550GB

I been having an ongoing issues with my PC where sometimes doing the shutdown process. My keyboard, mouse, Fans, and PC take longer than normal to shutdown. 

I have done the following: running CHKDSK, Disk Clean up, uninstalled unneeded software, disabled alot of startup programs, and deleted temp files. I don't know if a USB device is keeping my pc from shutting down properly.

I was wondering also if just doing a reset of windows will do the trick? 

Thanks

21 minutes ago, Sergio45 said:

Hey guys, 

CPU: i7 7700K

GPU: GTX 1070

PSU: 850 Watts Gold 

RAM: 8GB

SSD: 550GB

I been having an ongoing issues with my PC where sometimes doing the shutdown process. My keyboard, mouse, Fans, and PC take longer than normal to shutdown. 

I have done the following: running CHKDSK, Disk Clean up, uninstalled unneeded software, disabled alot of startup programs, and deleted temp files. I don't know if a USB device is keeping my pc from shutting down properly.

I was wondering also if just doing a reset of windows will do the trick? 

Thanks

How long is longer than normal?

If it's just a few minutes longer,

it's probably just windows doing small updates or something.

If it's really long, I would go into your reliability history by typing it after hitting start, and then check the yellow warnings to see if any windows updates failed because you can get stuck in a loop where it keeps thinking it needs to do updates before shutting down. In that case, you need to go to the windows update section of the control panel, go to your update history, find the failed update, uninstall it, and then install it again. If the update fails a 2nd time, disable real time protection temporarily in windows defender while installing it.

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

How long is longer than normal?

If it's just a few minutes longer,

it's probably just windows doing small updates or something.

If it's really long, I would go into your reliability history by typing it after hitting start, and then check the yellow warnings to see if any windows updates failed because you can get stuck in a loop where it keeps thinking it needs to do updates before shutting down. In that case, you need to go to the windows update section of the control panel, go to your update history, find the failed update, uninstall it, and then install it again. If the update fails a 2nd time, disable real time protection temporarily in windows defender while installing it.

From less than 10 seconds to a minute sometimes 2. 

I will try what your recommendation later today after work. I will keep you posted. 

If that  fails do you think that a reset of windows will do the trick or at least help? 

Just now, Sergio45 said:

From less than 10 seconds to a minute sometimes 2. 

I will try what your recommendation later today after work. I will keep you posted. 

If that else fails do you think that a reset of windows will do the trick or at least help? 

I don't think you have a problem then. Unless this is happening almost every time, it sounds like windows just doing updates, optimizing drives, etc.

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I don't think you have a problem then. Unless this is happening almost every time, it sounds like windows just doing updates, optimizing drives, etc.

When I am on it it happens to me almost every time. Takes longer to shutdown . When my fiance is done playing on the PC she states that it doesn't happen to her. I am assuming that it is happening to her. Never the less I will give your recommendation a shot. Worst case scenario I do a reset and start from there.  Thanks man I keep you guys posted. 

Reminds me of when my computer wouldn't shut down at all when I pressed "shut down" in the start menu. Instead, it'd say "Shutting down" for a few minutes, and then return to the desktop. To actually shut down, I'd have to use a command: "shutdown -s -t 0" and then it'd shutdown in a matter of seconds. I made a shortcut on the desktop that I used (right click, new, Shortcut and put the command where it asks for "Location"). Reinstalling Windows fixed my issue.

Maybe the command will make your computer shut down like normal, too?

17 minutes ago, Tosa said:

Reminds me of when my computer wouldn't shut down at all when I pressed "shut down" in the start menu. Instead, it'd say "Shutting down" for a few minutes, and then return to the desktop. To actually shut down, I'd have to use a command: "shutdown -s -t 0" and then it'd shutdown in a matter of seconds. I made a shortcut on the desktop that I used (right click, new, Shortcut and put the command where it asks for "Location"). Reinstalling Windows fixed my issue.

Maybe the command will make your computer shut down like normal, too?

I will give that a shot too. Thanks man. 

Tried everything that was recommended and with no results. 

What I did that seemed to fix the issue is the following:

*In advanced power options disabled: USB selective suspend setting.

*In "Choose what the power buttons do" disabled "turn on fast startup".

*In my bios enabled: EuP 2013. 

Doing a few shutdowns.The PC turns off within a matter of seconds rather than minutes. 

Thanks guys for all the recommendations. :)