*CLOSED* G-SYNC Module Giveaway

LinusTech

I've seen so much debate on the forum about G-SYNC with many of you saying "Linus is fangirling, this technology is pointless" and many of you saying "G-SYNC is the greatest thing ever".

vZWlsJe.jpg

The one thing (as far as I can tell) that you all seem to agree on is that you really want to try it to see it with your own eyes.

Now's the time. FIVE forum contributors will be chosen to participate in a G-SYNC preview. There are a few rules though. 

Rule #1 - This giveaway is for FORUM CONTRIBUTORS ONLY. No one post wonders will be allowed to participate, and we will be carefully auditing post timestamps and counts of entrants to ensure that these modules will ONLY be going out to people who were already active members of the community BEFORE we said we were giving these kits away.

The rest of these rules are from NVIDIA themselves:

o   Must be qualified DIYer and contributor to your forums or site

o   The kit cannot be resold

o   The recipient must already have an Asus VG248QE monitor - NO OTHER MONITORS ARE SUPPORTED BY THE G-SYNC KIT AT THIS TIME

o   The recipient must perform the modification

o   The recipient must provide feedback on his/her G-SYNC gaming experience

o   The give-away is only available in the US and Canada.  The kit is not intended/suitable for end-user use or sale elsewhere.

Please post (200 words or less) why you think you should qualify to receive a G-SYNC module and how you plan to use it, and please keep the clutter out of this thread. We will pick winners as we see compelling posts come through so the giveaway will be closed once we've already given away all 5 of them.

KEEP THE CLUTTER OUT OF THIS THREAD.

It makes it a lot more work for us to go through these to find qualifying entries.

I know US/Canada sucks for people outside US/Canada. I know. I tried. Nothing I could do. I don't need to read 5 messages about it for every 1 message that contains an actual entry.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your restraint.

Ever thought about doing give aways world wide so long as the winner agrees to pay for the Duty&Tax?

@LinusTech

Yes of course. It has nothing to do with the shipping cost. It has to do with international laws with respect to giveaways and sweepstakes as well as warranty concerns.

Can I try to mod a pb278q?

Delete this then linus. Unless you want me write a 200 word essay on why I should try modding. I'll write it if you keep this.

no you can't. It won't work. I literally already opened up a PB278Q to see if the internals are similar enough. They're not :(

Hey guys! To be totally honest, I do not own an Asus VG248QE, but I do promise to buy one if I'm selected for the test (I've been sitting on monitor upgrade money for a while, in preparation for G-Sync). As a person who is extremely sensitive to input lag, stutter, and screen tearing, G-Sync seems to be a dream come true. I would absolutely love to give the tech a run for its money. I would also be more than happy to write a full review of G-Sync and an install guide for the mod. 

Good luck to those who are entering! :D

EDIT: I've been noticing some posts from people that don't meet the requirements, so I wanted to add this:

Capture_zpseb4568ba.png

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Because G-SYNC is the only reason I bought the VG248QE. I have been waiting for the upgrade kit to come out forever since I saw it unveiled and Linus never answered my tweet asking to say hi while he was in Montreal :(

I'm relatively new to the forums, but I've been a long-time viewer of your YouTube channel. I could really use a G-Sync monitor for the simple fact that I do not own a computer monitor. I've been using this Vizio television for a while. While it's decent, it's not a computer monitor and I'm looking for the ultimate gaming experience. In all honesty, I know someone out there is deserving of this more than I am - some out there are probably still playing on big, bulky IBM computer monitors from the 90's. With all that being said, I still want to win it! I do recommend your channel to every single tech person I run into, so that might count for something. I'm waiting on you to put out some t-shirts so that I can further expand my support. Seriously, get some made! Even if I don't win this bad boy, I'd like to thank you and your crew for all the hard work you've all done over the years. I know who to go to for all my tech needs and tips for maximizing my gaming experience. Thank you, Linus and the rest of the crew. Happy Holidays!

Gotta read the rules and regulations first, man. I appreciate the holiday wishes and your support though :)

I acquired an Asus VG248QE not that long ago and I would love to be able to add G-Sync to it. I'd like to see just how well this thing could perform after it gets G-Sync. I love pulling stuff apart, messing with things, and just seeing what changes I can male in general. I just got the finishing touch to my second pc the other day, which was the GTX 780 (Love it) and I think it would perform really well with G-Sync. I wonder if G-sync could help with my eye issue, it seems like it doesn't take long for my eyes to bother me when gaming so maybe the addition to the monitor could help with that. It would be pretty cool to get to try that out. Assuming I got one I would definitely be up for giving a review of G-Sync and maybe during the tear down and install I could take some pics to show the process.  :lol: 

I bought an ASUS VG248QE 2 months ago and i love it so far. Its way better than my old 19 inch 1600 x 900 monitor, plus there's some to no tearing :) !!! The G Sync product sounds amazing and i really want one so i can test it for myself and enjoy crysis 3 tearing free. I'm nifty with my hands ;) , so can add onto the monitor my self. I built my own PC... and i've taken apart tv's before so i know my way around one. As of right know i get amazing frames from my 780 and paired with this sexy new product i feel i could finally play minesweeper at a very nice and stable rate :) ! Also i guess other games like batman origins and bf4 but those are just not as fun as minesweeper. So when it comes down to im your best bet as a choice to win this great add on to any monitor for i will push it to its limits and run many tests that are not video games... maybe

In all honesty i will run  crazy benches and tests just for you linus :)

So I don't have an Asus VG248QE, but... I live so close to a Newegg Warehouse that I could literally run out and get one right now within an hour. The reason I don’t have one right now is because of your (Linus’s) suggestions against TN panels and suggestion on waiting for future G-Sync Panels. I love doing DIY work and modding. I've already done tons of crazy mods and repairs such as unusual case modding, motherboard pin repair (I've repaired a board with 7 broken/9 bent pins), graphics card baking, monitor housing modding, etc. I do run a custom loop if that is another plus.  I wouldn’t hesitate to attempt something as long as I am sure it is possible to do. I do have a YouTube channel that I do occasional hardware videos and I would love to blog about the experience. I already have a TN, VA, IPS, PLS, 1080p, and 1440p display (some are the same obviously), and adding a G-Sync monitor would definitely be a great addition to my collection/test set up. I would like to test how different cards (Nvidia of course) influence G-Sync if at all. Thanks for the giveaway and opportunity!

(199 words ftw!)

YES LINUS PLS I WANT! i have a VG248QE.

i5 3570k @4.6 ghz | Cooler Master hyper 212 EVO | Asus DCUll 780ti @1200/1400 | 1 TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair HX 750 80+ gold | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Blu | Cooler Master haf 912 windowed edition |  2 x crappy  4:3 monitors (1024x1280) | ASUS VG248QE 1080p 144hz monitor|

#KILLEDMYWIFE  #POOKLO

I just bought my VG248 about three weeks before G-Sync was announced. It hurt my feelings pretty bad, so having a G-Sync chip would cheer me up :)

I own a VG248QE and have had it for 6 or 7 months now. I work at a PCB production company so installing the module should not be an issue for me. I've also been a PC gamer for 12 years now and know what to look for, I remember the first time I saw tearing when my friend was play quake 3, and I pointed it out asking him why the screen moves like that, where it's chopped in half, and that was about 15 or 16 years ago. I'm no stranger to visual quality and understand what I'm looking at and looking for, (though, I still haven't had the chance to see how good an IPS panel is, can't find them demoed anywhere in my area).

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

I currently do not own a VG248QE but I would be able to go to my local Canada Computers and pick one up within 30 minutes if I won the giveaway.

I would be able to easily do the modification, as I have been able to do mods on my qnix monitor already.  I would provide lots of feedback and do lots of testing, as I have a lot of free time on my hands. 

Having a smooth experience while playing games has always been a priority for me, so I think I would really like G-Sync.

I live in Canada and have a GPU that will work with G-Sync (SLI 780Ti).

My build log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/68164-build-log-the-mountain-watercooled-900d-build-4930k/

4930k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB Corsair Vengance Pro 2133Mhz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black edition - 780Ti Classified SLI watercooled

Samsung EVO 1TB SDD - 2x 3TB Seagate barracuda - AX1200i - Corsair 900D

Corsair K70 brown - Razer Mamba - X-Star 2710 @ 120hz - Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250Ohm

I've been debating for some time as to what direction I'd like to go in terms of PC display. Two years ago I bit the bullet and got a Dell U3011 2560x1600 30" IPS monitor and it was a thing of beauty. The IPS had colours which were like nothing I had experienced before - but the resolution brought on its own set of problems. Most games do not scale their text with the resolution, this means text heavy games become difficult to read.

So now I'm turning my attentions to refresh rate vs resolution. 4K would be awesome but it is limited to 30Hz until HDMI 2.0. ASUS 144Hz monitors would be cool, but they would still suffer from the age old tearing problems when vsync is not enabled.

Cue the G-Sync revolution... I hope

I've got the GPU horse power needed from my TITAN, although I'll probably have to overclock my i7-2600K from its current stock speeds.

As well my games library runs deep to ensure we won't see 5 of the same reviews all about how G-Sync impacts FPS's.

Batman: AA

Darksouls

Starcraft II

Total War: Shogun II

Civilization V

Borderlands 2

Far Cry 3

Hawken

Mechwarrior Online

HAWX

DOOM

Wing Commander

Because we still play the classics too

So why me? I'm keen, excited and hopefully I know what I'm doing.

Ah man, i'm a few hours late on this. Bummer, I had thought about signing up yesterday but got busy. Good luck all!

I'm a terribly ineloquent writer who can never think of anything compelling to say..

I was planning a build for the past several months, but never had any real motivation to bite the bullet and spend the money on a new PC. However, when I heard about G-sync technology and what it does, it was so intuitive and made so much sense that I knew I had to have it.. So then I pulled together whatever money I had extra from working a bunch of overtime just so I could build a new rig with a 780 and a VG248QE, and I've been sitting here staring at a generically "blah" TN panel ever since.. Stuttering has always been something that has bothered me a ton, so an end to those troubles is like a dream come true.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I already own the Asus monitor and bought it fore the reason of it having a 144Hz refresh. After finding out that it could be upgraded to have G Sync I was very excited. I downloaded and reviewed Nvidia's video of it and was very impressed but I still want the real thing. I play a lot of Battlefield and CSGO and get a lot of tearing especially in BF. It really ruins the fact that I spent so much money on my GPU. I really want to win and thanks for the opportunity!

I bought my Asus Monitor because I deemed that 60 hz was going out of style it was an attractive choice for it's price.  Little did I know G-sync kits would come out for this specific one and now I definitely want to try it out :)  My GTX 660 can run games at the momments taht it is "Best" the 30-60 fps range which makes me feel kind of stupid with a 144hz monitor  It also would allow me to see if one G-sync monitor is compatible with 2 normal Dell G2410 in a triple monitor setup!  This is likely my only chance of getting the kit until the kit's price drops alot.

Thanks Linus!  I love your reviews and the WAN show!  I want to see a EVGA Tegra Note 4 review before I buy it please.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

I love my VG248QE and regularly run games that would benefit from GSync on my 770 with huge variances on my frame rates from my Dxtory stream setup. I am willing to help with feedback and would love a module. I also hope they sell them soon to if I don't get one. :)

My Rig: i5 3570k at 4.2 GHz 1.12 Volts, Hyper 212 Evo, Maximus V Gene, RM650, 840 Pro and Seagate Barracuda, 8 GB of Sniper Ram, and a GTX 770.

I currently own a VG248QE (proof) and had it since June (proof). It was a constant struggle to choose between a 290 or a 780, but I went with a 780 (proof) because I felt Gsync was a better investment in the long run than Mantle. By the time I was making a choice, the prices for 290's rose, which made my decision easier since I get 3 games with the purchase of a 780 card. All I need now is Gsync and I would gladly provide any feedback necessary if it grants me a free one :D 

I like to take things apart and put them back together (not a fan of laptops) so installing the module should be a piece of cake. I'm currently playing Ghosts and BF4, besides that, I have a butt load of games. Some I've finished, some I haven't finished, some I haven't even started (Steam is the bully that steals my money). I hope I qualify and thanks for the giveaway :P

Thanks for your submissions, everyone. 

The winners were selected on the basis of being able to provide a variety of hardware configurations to NVIDIA, as well as based on some arbitrary things that mattered to me (was looking at last active time, last post time, and some other stuff)

I'm not 100% sure that everyone who applied is within Canada/US so if anyone falls through then I know who my next people are. 

Linus

Thanks for your submissions, everyone. 

The winners were selected on the basis of being able to provide a variety of hardware configurations to NVIDIA, as well as based on some arbitrary things that mattered to me (was looking at last active time, last post time, and some other stuff)

I'm not 100% sure that everyone who applied is within Canada/US so if anyone falls through then I know who my next people are. 

Linus

but who won? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

but who won? 

Winners were PM'd. :)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

The PM system must be broken cause I didn't get mine  :P

Looking forward to what people report back with though. I wonder how long it will take to get > 24" panels at 144hz and IPS too of course....