US charges two men over ATM ‘jackpotting’

ATMs  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use this method of stealing money from ATMs?

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16977794/department-of-justice-doj-charges-two-men-atm-jackpotting-malware-hack

Well, it looks like "Jackpotting" is more common these days in other countries! I wonder where this issue will spread next!

The United States Department of Justice (DOJ) has charged two men with bank fraud after they allegedly hacked ATM machines causing them to eject all their cash reserves like a Vegas slot machine. The attack, known as “jackpotting,” is usually carried out by perpetrators dressed as repair technicians to deploy malicious software and/or hardware, while others then exploit the hack to withdraw the cash on demand.

If you want to know how "jackpotting" works with ATMs:

A report from security journalist Brian Krebs last week outlined a Secret Service alert going into more detail about how jackpotting works. Thieves posing as technicians use a medical endoscope to locate an internal section of the ATM where they can attach a cord to sync their laptop with the ATM’s computer. The ATM then displays an out of service notice and is able to be controlled remotely. The thieves can force the machine to disperse its cash, which is then collected by “money mules.” Standalone ATMs like those located in pharmacies and big-box retailers are most at risk.

Here is a simulation of how jackpotting works:

Other things to note:

• The ATM was spitting out $20 bills which all totalled up to $9,000 in cash
  • An earlier investigation suggests that the ATM suspensed as much as $50,000

I actually found this quite funny to be honest, its relatively easy for people to just dress up and advertise themselves as ATM technicians and then just simply hacking the ATM. And the US claims to have lost over $1,000,000 from ATM jackpotting thefts already, so that goes to show how bad ATM security is. I mean, I cant wait until physical cash gets decreased and electronic payments take more places in terms of taking/transferring money. And yes, physical money is useful if your walk into a shop and you don't have your card on you and you want to just buy something and there are of course more security vulnerabilities with online transactions as well, but I think that these vulnerabilities can be handled better with online payments in terms of security. This is how I think of it, what a waste of life, your going to get 30 years imprisonment, I'd rather save my money then steal it, its much easier if you ask me! ;)

Added a poll in: Would you try this method of stealing money from an ATM? I just want to see what people say, that's all!

Do you think 30 years is fair for stealing? 

Why is the thread insinuating as if someone in the forum would do such crime out of desperation? I find it unnecessary imo.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Seems more like an add-on for this thread to be honest.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Gun point is more fun though...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.