Which open-back headphone should I buy?

Shaqo_Wyn

Hey guys,

Fostex T20RP + Shure 1840 pads OR AKG 712 PRO?

Comfort is my number on priority, I were glasses and have a pretty big head.

The T20RPs would be cheaper (156 EUR), while I can get the 712 for 214 EUR.

In terms of sound quality, I think they are both what I'm looking for. Bass is present, nice mids and highs are not too unforgiving.

Will be powering them with the Micca OriGen G2.

Which one should I take, based on these preferences?

Also, any good affordable tube amp(/dac) that you would recommend for $100-$150?

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

AKG K712 for sure over the T20RP. I like the T20s, but they are a headphone purely for fun. The AKG K712 is a much better headphone overall and are stupid comfortable. Plus the G2 isn't going to drive the T20s to their full potential. There's no good tube DAC/Amp combo for that price range, there are a few standalone Little Dot Tube Amps in that range you could get and just use the DAC output of the G2.

The 712s are my favorite. I'm headache prone, so it really matters what I put on my heads and these have never bothered me. They're my favorite sound wise as well (out of the HD650, TH610, and K712).

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

AKG K712 for sure of the T20RP. I like the T20s, but they are a headphone purely for fun. The AKG K712 is a much better headphone overall and are stupid comfortable. Plus the G2 isn't going to drive the T20s to their full potential. There's no good tube DAC/Amp combo for that price range, there are a few standalone Little Dot Tube Amps in that range you could get and just use the DAC output of the G2.

Bwaha I tried to beat you here, but you were a fraction of a second faster. What do you have an audio bat signal?!

4 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Bwaha I tried to beat you here, but you were a fraction of a second faster. What do you have an audio bat signal?!

Maybe :ph34r:

58 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

AKG K712 for sure over the T20RP. I like the T20s, but they are a headphone purely for fun. The AKG K712 is a much better headphone overall and are stupid comfortable. Plus the G2 isn't going to drive the T20s to their full potential. There's no good tube DAC/Amp combo for that price range, there are a few standalone Little Dot Tube Amps in that range you could get and just use the DAC output of the G2.

58 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

The 712s are my favorite. I'm headache prone, so it really matters what I put on my heads and these have never bothered me. They're my favorite sound wise as well (out of the HD650, TH610, and K712).

Alright! Thanks for the input guys. I guess that settles it, K712 PRO it is (I was leaning towards this one too).

If you are willing to participate in the bonus round, which closed-back headphone would you recommend?

Again comfort is my ultimate priority, but I can't seem to find much.

I already tried the DT770 PRO 80 Ohm and the clamp killed me, plus the velour pads people rave about were really stiff imo.

Budget: $100-$150

Currently, I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and Shure SRH840... I wanna stay way from the completely neutral ones like the Sony MDR7506 and the cancer-inducing Audio Technica M50Xs. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie.