[Update] Multiple Banks have barred credit card customers from buying cryptocurrencies amidst fears of a crash

Master Disaster

Update

Virgin Money, Bank of America, Citigroup, JP Morgan, Capital One and Discover have all joined (some made the change over the weekend) Lloyd's in banning the purchase of Cryptocurrencies using credit cards

Virgin Money has joined Lloyds Banking Group in banning customers from buying Bitcoin and other digital currencies with their credit cards.

Virgin Money's spokesperson said: "Following a review of our policies, I can confirm customers will no longer be able to use their Virgin Money credit card to purchase crypto-currencies."

Like Lloyds, Virgin's ban only applies to its credit cards, not debit card

Like Lloyds, Virgin Money is concerned about customers running up large debts following a sharp fall in the value of digital currencies.

Over the weekend, several of the biggest issuers of credit cards in the US also banned customers from using their cards to buy digital currency.

The list of financial firms included Bank of America, Citigroup, JP Morgan, Capital One and Discover.

Original post

Lloyd'sBanking group that runs Lloyd's, Halifax, Bank of Scotland & MBNA branches announced today that effective immediately it's credit card customers can no longer purchase bitcoin using their credit cards.

Lloyds Banking Group has banned its customers from buying Bitcoin on their credit cards following a sharp fall in the value of the digital currency.

The ban, starting on Monday, applies to Lloyds Bank, Bank of Scotland, Halifax and MBNA customers.

Debit card users will be unaffected by the move which Lloyd's say is because they feel people are buying BTC with the intentions of making a profit but instead might end up in debt as prices continue to fall.

Lloyds fears people are buying Bitcoin to make a profit if its value rises but face debts if it falls.

It is concerned it could end up footing the bill for unpaid debts should the price continue to fall.

Explaining the ban, a Lloyds spokeswoman said: "We continually review our products and procedures and this is part of that."

Bitcoin ended last week down 30% on its November high however it's still way ahead of where it was last February.

Bitcoin ended last week down 30% at $8,291.87 - its worst week since April 2013 and far below the $19,000 it reached last November.

However, the cryptocurrency is still ahead of the $1,000 it was trading at this time last year.

The move comes as both UK politicians and the police are looking into ways of stopping cryptocurrencies from being used to fund illegal and criminal activities.

Police have warned that digital currencies remain popular among criminals as they can use them to evade traditional money laundering checks and other regulations.

Prime Minister Theresa May recently said that action against digital currencies may be required "precisely because of the way they are used, particularly by criminals".

She told Bloomberg: "In areas like cryptocurrencies, like Bitcoin, we should be looking at these very seriously."

The Treasury said that it intends to update regulation to bring virtual currency platforms into anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing regulation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42940728

Seems like the bank is worried about a full crash and IMO are looking to protect themselves from ending up with huge credit card debts if it happens.

Probably a smart move imo.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This is a good move imo. I'm all for freedom of currencies or whatever baloney you call it, but theres more money to be made elsewhere and illegal activity is not on. Stick with the real thing.

When the bank, government, and law enforcements are all trying to stop crypo currency then you can expect no future there

15 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

When the bank, government, and law enforcements are all trying to stop crypo currency then you can expect no future there

I don't think the bank really care about stopping it, they just don't want plebs rattling up credit card debt buying an unstable and currently deflating currency.  people are treating bitcoin as an investment and just like any other investment, if it isn't sound the bank will not lend you money for it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I agree, I think its a good thing. IMO, its fair enough if you have the money for it and you are willing to take that risk with your own money, but you shouldn't be allowed to use someone elses to do it. There are far too many people out there who just can't be trusted with money.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

makes sense i guess. they dont see bitcoin as a solid investment so they wont allow you to blow yourself into insaine debt because it crashes more

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bcat00 said:

When illegal criminal and terrorist groups use cryptocurrency then you can expect no future there.

11 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

When illegal criminal and terrorist groups use cryptocurrency then you can expect no future there.

they dont need cryptocurrencies, they just bribe bank executives to launder their money for them.

17 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

That's false information and you should know better. Almost all crypto is, for a government intelligence agency, easier to track than real money flows.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

That's false information and you should know better. Almost all crypto is, for a government intelligence agency, easier to track than real money flows.

dam how did I not see allowing more streams of income for terrorist groups is ok because its easy to track

I wonder how many other banks will follow suit now and if this move itself might hurt the bitcoin economy.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I support this, as it stops people being tools and fucking the banks over in their get rich quick schemes which with cyrptocurrent is a very risky thing to do

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

I support this, as it stops people being tools and fucking the banks over in their get rich quick schemes which with cyrptocurrent is a very risky thing to do

It seems like the banks have learned a lesson from the naughties "mortgages for everyone" attitude that lead to the global recession.

Toxic debt isn't good for anyone, customers lose money and can't pay the banks, banks lose income and turn to government for shoring up and economic markets lose confidence in the banks abilities to lend and collect debts causing markets to fluctuate.

Now I doubt BTC debt is anywhere near large enough to cause a global recession but I bet it could cause banks to lose some pretty large amounts.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

It seems like the banks have learned a lesson from the naughties "mortgages for everyone" attitude that lead to the global recession.

Toxic debt isn't good for anyone, customers lose money and can't pay the banks, banks lose income and turn to government for shoring up and economic markets lose confidence in the banks abilities to lend and collect debts causing markets to fluctuate.

Now I doubt BTC debt is anywhere near large enough to cause a global recession but I bet it could cause banks to lose some pretty large amounts.

exactly they have learned, and yea it probably isn't that much but they have finally learnt to protect them self from things that have a potential to fuck them over

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

2 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Bitcoin is only one of the cryptocurrencies out there (and, in my opinion, one of the worst). What probably has no future is the mindless speculation that's going on right now, which is a good thing. There are very cool applications to blockchain technology which don't depend on bitcoin or any other "currency"'s market value.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

31 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

dam how did I not see allowing more streams of income for terrorist groups is ok because its easy to track

terrorists are among the most motivated groups of people there is, and they will find ways to move their money.

Plus on most crypto currencies there are backlogs to all transactions which means that even if they get away with it now latter investigations can follow the money with ease, but if they get away with moving a bag of money through an airport for example, there is almost no way of tracking it.

and because very few currencies have ways to trade to fiat, its had to trade the money always on crypto currencies that don't allow access to the logs.

if you meant that they are mining, maybe but they usually have powerful people financing them, which reduces the need to mine.

53 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

this is almost like the discussion on encryption... terrorists can benefit from it so lets fuck everyone!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

25 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

terrorists are among the most motivated groups of people there is, and they will find ways to move their money.

Plus on most crypto currencies there are backlogs to all transactions which means that even if they get away with it now latter investigations can follow the money with ease, but if they get away with moving a bag of money through an airport for example, there is almost no way of tracking it.

and because very few currencies have ways to trade to fiat, its had to trade the money always on crypto currencies that don't allow access to the logs.

if you meant that they are mining, maybe but they usually have powerful people financing them, which reduces the need to mine.

There are public ledgers, so the determined (or tipped off) intelligence agency can actually go back years to follow the money flows. It's actually quite hard to launder money with crypto right now, simply because of the relatively small size of the Crypto -> Hard Currency exchanges. 

This specific move with Credit Cards is actually an anti-gambling move. Basically, because of the current exchange fees, "buying" BTC off exchange is cheaper than using converted money on an exchange. People are effectively leverage trading BTC with their CC, and Banks can get in a world of trouble if a government decides to be prickly about it.

54 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

this is almost like the discussion on encryption... terrorists can benefit from it so lets fuck everyone!

Well yeah, it could be put that black and white. Its more of an effect rather than what they are doing in this situation.

Whether or not people say its hard to do or easy to track, it is still popular, according to the article, among them. If criminals use traditional money laundering and cryptocurrencies then not tracking crypto will be one less job for intelligence agencies.

It is unfortunate for the people with high hopes for crypto, but they still have time to sell (really I would be selling anyway with the outlook on this - although its hard to predict, it might go up).

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Terror groups have entire countries funding them, they don't need CC.

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I don't think they've learned tbh cos now there's Credit Cards for everyone. Even for the people who shouldn't have one.

And yes I'm saying that xD.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

In the UK, the government has forced banks to protect people by making banks "Ring Fenced" by 2019 to isolate Consumer banking from Commercial Investments etc. So, theoretically if Bitcoin crashed in 2019 and if people paid for it beforehand using Credit then they probably wouldn't be in as bad of a situation.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Not sure on the exact rules, but when any bank or similar lends money they have to do it responsibly, otherwise they become liable when things go wrong. In this context, it makes sense, but it is not a requirement in itself. 

I'm not sure if it also applies, but consumer credit card purchases also have extra protection if something goes wrong. If cryptocurrency purchases are classified as cash advances, this may not apply.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't think they've learned tbh cos now there's Credit Cards for everyone. Even for the people who shouldn't have one.

And yes I'm saying that xD.

In the UK, the government has forced banks to protect people by making banks "Ring Fenced" by 2019 to isolate Consumer banking from Commercial Investments etc. So, theoretically if Bitcoin crashed in 2019 and if people paid for it beforehand using Credit then they probably wouldn't be in as bad of a situation.

Credit cards would be within the ring fence, they are part of consumer banking. It is investment banking, global banking and large business banking. So for example in the case of the 2008 crash the international mortgage debt bundled up into 'investment vehicles' that went bad would now fall out side the ring fence, bad domestic mortgage debt would still fall within. Though the amount of credit card debt used to purchase cryptocurrency wouldn't be large to threaten a bank in the event of a crypto-crash, Lloyd's are just being either overly cautious, or no where near cautious enough when deciding peoples credit limits.  

tl:dr banks don't want you to be an idiot with your (their) money and have put measures in place to ensure you will not do so.

Not really a big news item that people are making it out to be...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

9 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'm really not sure about that.   Apart from the link between the *rise of internet crime and the use of crypto driving/serving it, if it was that much easier to track transactions to people, we would likely be seeing support for blockchain implementation from governments not the more reserved approach they seem to be taking.

9 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I wonder how many other banks will follow suit now and if this move itself might hurt the bitcoin economy.

They mostly likely all will. I have heard there are banks in Aus that just won't trade with crypto exchanges and people have had issues in the past selling crytpo in Australia (I don't know why).

*Many articles talking about the rise of ransomware because of bitcoin. and also a few regarding the big companies buying up bitcoin to use to hush ransomware attacks. Which I assume played it's part in pushing the price up.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.