Maintenance on gaming PC

The Pizza Thief

Hi there, I've had my PC for a few years now I have a x61 NZXT AIO water cooler, an i7-6700k and a gtx 970 (gigbayte G1). My question is: What kind of maintenance other than using canned air to clean it should I be doing. I was thinking about re-applying thermal paste to my CPU, is this a good idea if my temperatures are fine at the moment ? Also, is it a good idea to open up my GPU and re apply thermal paste there maybe clean it thoroughly? Lastly, is there any maintenance related to having an AIO cooler, I don't know if after a few years you should drain the liquid. 

Thanks !

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/r6tJ7P

you're missing the software part of a good maintenance.

past that, and a goo dusting, i'd stay away from the hardware for the most part.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you're missing the software part of a good maintenance.

past that, and a goo dusting, i'd stay away from the hardware for the most part.

What do you mean by the software part? Like Ccleaner ? 

3 minutes ago, Brynjar said:

What do you mean by the software part? Like Ccleaner ? 

- windows updates

- cleaning old junk off your disk (in which "disk cleanup" built into windows plays a vital role)

- cheking the vareous pieces software you use for updates, because not everything will bug you with those

- remove software you dont use (anymore)

- AV/AM scans

- disk defrag (if applicable)

EDIT: forgot driver updates.

There is no need of repaste if temperatures are fine. Other than dusting the fans and case with canned air and some cleaning as well as software part like @manikyath mentioned that is pretty much all there is to mainetainence

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

Or instead of buying canned air every time, buy a small air compressor and use it as often as you want. If you use that instead of buying canned air, eventually it will pay for itself. Also you can have a higher and more consistent pressure with a compressor which is great for blasting through dust.

I use a small pure bristle brush. Been using the same one for over 10 years.

And running positive pressure in my case means I only need to do a minor dusting once a year.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Just now, Docretier said:

Or instead of buying canned air every time, by a small air compressor and use it as often as you want. If you use that instead of buying canned air, eventually it will pay for itself. Also you can have a higher and more consistent pressure with a compressor which is great for blasting through dust.

sounds like you need a datavac:

37 minutes ago, Brynjar said:

Hi there, I've had my PC for a few years now I have a x61 NZXT AIO water cooler, an i7-6700k and a gtx 970 (gigbayte G1). My question is: What kind of maintenance other than using canned air to clean it should I be doing. I was thinking about re-applying thermal paste to my CPU, is this a good idea if my temperatures are fine at the moment ? Also, is it a good idea to open up my GPU and re apply thermal paste there maybe clean it thoroughly? Lastly, is there any maintenance related to having an AIO cooler, I don't know if after a few years you should drain the liquid. 

Thanks !

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/r6tJ7P

remember to run a full scan with your antivirus from time to time if you are on windows.

Remember to defrag the drives too from time to time if you are on a HDD 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

17 minutes ago, manikyath said:

- windows updates

I will take care of that, honestly I only use Ccleaner for software maintenance, never tried the disk utility.

12 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

There is no need of repaste if temperatures are fine. Other than dusting the fans and case with canned air and some cleaning as well as software part like @manikyath mentioned that is pretty much all there is to mainetainence

Awesome, thanks.

7 minutes ago, Docretier said:

Or instead of buying canned air every time, buy a small air compressor and use it as often as you want. If you use that instead of buying canned air, eventually it will pay for itself. Also you can have a higher and more consistent pressure with a compressor which is great for blasting through dust.

I will look in Amazon to see if there is any viable option, I don't have much cash right now.

5 minutes ago, keskparane said:

And running positive pressure in my case means I only need to do a minor dusting once a year.

Can you link me to something similar to what you use, I've never thought about using a brush to get out that stuck dust.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Looks cool, I've seen it before. 

4 minutes ago, wasab said:

remember to run a full scan with your antivirus from time to time if you are on windows.

Remember to defrag the drives too from time to time if you are on a HDD 

What is it that defraging does? I've never done that and I do have 3 SSDs and 2 HDs

One thing to keep in mind. With water cooling, using a push fan configuration will cause a dust build up between your fans and radiator that is sometimes hard to get at with a can of air. You have to every once in a while separate the fans from the radiator to do a thorough cleaning.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

57 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I found this kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LZ649V?pd_rd_i=B074LZ649V&psc=1&pd_rd_w=GSR86&pd_rd_wg=hTSIQ&pd_rd_r=c0e46978-de54-455a-8a9b-25e60ae6ae61&ref_=pd_luc_rh_gc_rec_01_01_t_img_lh

Annnd lest I forget, REAL men use power washers for ALL their cleaning needs. It will even get rid of all those metallic spider webs found on the back of PCB's. >.>

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

I typically us a Metro ED500 on my computers.

6 hours ago, Brynjar said:

Can you link me to something similar to what you use, I've never thought about using a brush to get out that stuck dust.

Like this. Although mine has black bristles and I don't know what stiffness it has. According to info the one I linked is 3 in range 1-10 stiffness.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

11 hours ago, manikyath said:

i love my datavac, but holy shit that thing is LOUD

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

What are your temps? Hard to say anything without knowing them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv