Apple has iOS 12 and macOS on track to be all about substance

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

It's not about conformity. If you think that, you've probably misunderstood the critique. People want X desirable feature and want that on their device/OS of choice. Often people point to competing solutions to figure out what they want. 

For example: if iOS were to gain proper notifications that wouldn't mean it's now a carbon copy of Android. Or if Android was to finally get a proper messaging platform, that would not mean it's now iOS.

Individual features aren't a package solution. And if a popular feature is controversial or polarizing, they can implement it as an option. It's called customization. That's a banned word in Apple space though.

That's probably the most funny thing when talking about conformity in regards to Apple products and supposedly not wanting that. They are pretty much the definition of conformity. Every iPhone looks remarkably similar from user to user. There aren't many devices in each segment so everyone will carry identical hardware. That's part of the selling point; that what you carry is recognizable and not only that but recognizable as an Apple product. That way you achieve conformity within your demographic. Ironic, isn't it? It's sold as a life style product and as being exclusive but it's so common today that it's not.

It is and it isn't about conformity.

Yes, I appreciate the irony of what I've said, but I'm looking at the broader picture of the OS landscape.  There's this odd tendency among some Android fans to pretend they're champions of variety while insisting on a bland sameness.  The ideas are rarely fresh -- suggestions usually devolve to "whatever Google or Samsung is doing, do that."  It's like arguing that real indie music fans listen exclusively to Top 40 pop.

As stubborn as Apple can be at times, it's important that we have a major mobile OS developer that isn't simply bowing to the pressure to be like everyone else.  Otherwise we end up with something like what the PC market became (at least, before Apple's resurgence and Microsoft's Surface), where a near-total lack of variety in experiences led to Windows PC makers competing on little more than price.

Areas like notifications do need to be improved, and the home screen (while arguably fine for many people) could stand a tune-up.  But I'd like to see some originality, because in many cases the suggestions make it clear that they would probably never use iOS even if someone handed them a free iPhone -- they really want to justify why they're sticking to Android.

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

Please don't be That Person who insists on conformity in operating systems.  I can see the allure of what you're asking for, but at the same time, there's an obvious Android fan subtext: "make it more like Android.  Be Android.  In fact, just ship iPhones with Android."

This isn't to say iOS couldn't stand some interface improvements, but there are so many Android fans whose only suggestions for changes are to make it more like the devices they're already using.  Like it or not, many people choose iOS precisely because it isn't Android, and Apple has to take that into consideration.  I'd like to see suggestions for improvements that aren't just calls for sameness.

This isn't "be more like Android". This is literally just put in obviously useful (and proven successful) features that hurts no one to have and helps everyone that wants it.

It isn't "Android fan subtext" to say that iOS's forced fill left to right, top to bottom, 4-wide UI is massively outdated and stupidly unergonomic. More than all of that though. It is just pointless, needless, arbitrary limitations for limitations sake. Bury the setting for all I care (as long as I can find and use it without having to pay some apple tech bs), but someone shouldn't have to jailbreak an iphone to run iOS 5 apps wide.

50 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It is and it isn't about conformity.

Yes, I appreciate the irony of what I've said, but I'm looking at the broader picture of the OS landscape.  There's this odd tendency among some Android fans to pretend they're champions of variety while insisting on a bland sameness.  The ideas are rarely fresh -- suggestions usually devolve to "whatever Google or Samsung is doing, do that."  It's like arguing that real indie music fans listen exclusively to Top 40 pop.

As stubborn as Apple can be at times, it's important that we have a major mobile OS developer that isn't simply bowing to the pressure to be like everyone else.  Otherwise we end up with something like what the PC market became (at least, before Apple's resurgence and Microsoft's Surface), where a near-total lack of variety in experiences led to Windows PC makers competing on little more than price.

Areas like notifications do need to be improved, and the home screen (while arguably fine for many people) could stand a tune-up.  But I'd like to see some originality, because in many cases the suggestions make it clear that they would probably never use iOS even if someone handed them a free iPhone -- they really want to justify why they're sticking to Android.

Com'on now... originality in features doesn't mean ignore missing stuff regardless. I don't even know what "bowing to the pressure to be like everyone else is". If Android introduces a good useful feature. Apple should move to implement it. If Apple introduces a good useful feature, Android should move to implement it. Competition only works when you are actually competing against each OTHER to provide more for consumers. 

And then when one company decides not to implement obviously useful features that others have integrated for what 5+ years now? That is just plain and simple hurting consumers. That isn't "originality".

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

19 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Is Apple not going to polish macOS as well?. High Sierra is be considered as Apple's own Vista.

I've had no bugs whatsoever and I'm running the beta? It runs great.

19 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Which is Strange because the only issue I really have with it is how High Sierra sees the Bootcamp partition on my MacBook Pro. 

I don't see why it shouldn't?

On 30/01/2018 at 6:04 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Oh, and it’s still better than android ? 

(its a joke, don’t take it too seriously) 

Well iOS and MacOS may be about substance, but "The future of Android is Fluid"! ;P