Gaming on my MacBook Pro?...

My 13 inch 2016 MacBook Pro just has the built-in Intel Iris Graphics 540, and 8 gigs of RAM.  I'm assuming that any game. from, say, 2005 on back would run just fine, but I'm not sure.  I know about the external GPU enclosures for MacBooks, but IMHO, they are way too expensive.

3 minutes ago, dave4shmups said:

My 13 inch 2016 MacBook Pro just has the built-in Intel Iris Graphics 540, and 8 gigs of RAM.  I'm assuming that any game. from, say, 2005 on back would run just fine, but I'm not sure.  I know about the external GPU enclosures for MacBooks, but IMHO, they are way too expensive.

MemesIRL, Gaming, and Mac: GAMING

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyhoo, your Macbook is as capable as any other laptop with intel graphics from that era, which unfortunately is to say, not very.

Certain games like War Thunder, World of Tanks/Warships, and Star Trek Online and the sort (basically games using lowest common denominator rendering engines) should run very playable (60fps) at low settings at 900p. 

Playing in Windows through Bootcamp would give a performance boost as well.

You can also play basically any valve title no problem xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Well, this video was helpful:  

That's the exact model of MacBook Pro that I have; the specs are all the same.  While I don't care about running any of those games on it, the video does make me wonder how games from the early 2000s through about 2010(ish) would run?  I'm fine as long as the game runs in 1080p at over 30fps consistently.

Any game recommendations?

3 hours ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Get a egpu or built a gaming PC 

I meant recommendations for games older then the ones shown in that video that will run at 1080p, at least at 30FPS, on that MacBook Pro.  I'm assuming that there are some, from 10 years ago, or so.

8 hours ago, dave4shmups said:

I meant recommendations for games older then the ones shown in that video that will run at 1080p, at least at 30FPS, on that MacBook Pro.  I'm assuming that there are some, from 10 years ago, or so.

Games will run better if you install boot camp windows and also get some more games than Mac OS

Rocketer league

CSGO

Dota 2 

Call of duty (older version)

Overwatch 

StarCraft

Metal gear (older version)

You could install Geforce Now 

GTA San Andreas 

Tomb raider 

linux gamer here. I play with Mac players all the time on company of heroes 2 multiplayer. For some reason, feral can’t have the ports do cross platform with windows. I have seen Mac players running the game on a 2012 MacBooks. The game barely runs on their machines. Lol

Sudo make me a sandwich 

i'm gonna give you some actual info here. 

you can look up benchmarks for that gpu, and in combination with your cpu. you can get a lot of info that way. 

you can also try some free to play games, and see how they run. 

and 2005 is way back in time, my hd 630 in my laptop can run minecraft at 60 fps on "medium" settings on linux... 

now yes, my intel gpu is newer than yours, but they are more powerful than you would think.. 

but yeah, look up some benchmarks, try some free to play titles and see how your machine handles it. 

She/Her

On 2/2/2018 at 10:59 AM, firelighter487 said:

i'm gonna give you some actual info here. 

you can look up benchmarks for that gpu, and in combination with your cpu. you can get a lot of info that way. 

you can also try some free to play games, and see how they run. 

and 2005 is way back in time, my hd 630 in my laptop can run minecraft at 60 fps on "medium" settings on linux... 

now yes, my intel gpu is newer than yours, but they are more powerful than you would think.. 

but yeah, look up some benchmarks, try some free to play titles and see how your machine handles it. 

Thanks for the advice!  Where do I go to look up benchmarks?  That YouTube video is the only thing that I’ve been able to find.

3 hours ago, dave4shmups said:

Thanks for the advice!  Where do I go to look up benchmarks?  That YouTube video is the only thing that I’ve been able to find.

Notebookcheck is my favorite for laptop related benchmarks. 

On 2/3/2018 at 2:47 PM, tatte said:

Notebookcheck is my favorite for laptop related benchmarks. 

Thanks for that link!  Is there anyway that you can check individual games on that site?  It's a great site, don't get me wrong, but I really wish there was something like canIrunit for Macs.

I have gamed on a mac, it's definitely possible but with intel integrated graphics or a Nvida 320m don't expect too much in the way of frame rate or quality. That being said a lot of games will run fine, like portal etc. There is a thing called GeForce Now that's really good, but in anywhere other then the US of A it requires approval onto the beta program, it also needs a 25 mb/s internet connection, but is a good experience. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Lightweight games would run perfectly fine on any slow pc, just watch your temps and use an external cooler if it hits above 90 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends if your hardware supports the game you want. You might have more luck in windows regarding support for games, and I've heard macOS has some issues with mouse acceleration in games.