Romer-G Switches or Cherry MX?

ryanmassey1337

OK folks, now that I have made my decision on a monitor, it is time for the 2nd hardest thing to choose when building a PC. The Keyboard of course! I have narrowed down my search to the Corsair K70 Lux RGB and the Logitech G-Pro. I have heard VERY good things about both keyboards but I can't decide between Romer-G mechanical switches and Cherry Mx red/brown mechanical switches... if you happen to own either of these swiches, which is better for gaming?

if you type a lot like me, go blue

if you type/game, go romer g

if you game mainly, go mx red

(in terms of feel)

i have romer g, ama

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

if you type a lot like me, go blue

if you type/game, go romer g

if you game mainly, go mx red

(in terms of feel)

i have romer g, ama

Well I type and game so Romer-G it is.

Those are some sick specs btw. 

Just now, ryanmassey1337 said:

Well I type and game so Romer-G it is.

Those are some sick specs btw. 

just keep in mind that the tactile bump is a feature, and not a flaw

i thought it was a flaw to be honest.

also the key caps get dirty quickly and there's glossy plastic, at least on my g910

-

3770k is on the verge of dying, motherboard is broken, my ram is dead too, and my ssd corrupts on occasion.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

personally, I like the Romer-G for some reasons

Better Lighting

Exclusive to Logitech yet

Perfect for my behavior (not pressing down until bottom)

Silent

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

also the key caps get dirty quickly and there's glossy plastic, at least on my g910

-

3770k is on the verge of dying, motherboard is broken, my ram is dead too, and my ssd corrupts on occasion.

Well in that case... You probably need an entirely new PC lol... considering an upgrade to Coffee Lake or Ryzen?

And yeah, I think I'll like the tactile bump too. The MX speed switches activate too fast and MX reds are too....  clicky. I dunno about blues.

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Better Lighting

Silent

I like that feature too. There is no lights on the side, just the keycaps and it looks great.

It will probably be on my shortlist.

Just now, ryanmassey1337 said:

Well in that case... You probably need an entirely new PC lol... considering an upgrade to Coffee Lake or Ryzen?

And yeah, I think I'll like the tactile bump too. The MX speed switches activate too fast and MX reds are too....  clicky. I dunno about blues.

i thought it was a good idea until i used it

have you used a membrane where it needs a lot of force and then it clicks?

somewhat feels like that to me.

when i need to type quietly, i need to push down on it so much, and the response is like that. pressure, no activation, pressure, no activation, pressure, BOTTOMS OUT! 

but when I am typing.. normally, it doesn't really bother me.

i really would not like to upgrade in 2018 because all the good new cpu architectures are in 2019. probably coffee lake as my dad is going to buy it for me, he doesn't give a shit about price/perf, he knows that it's powerful and it's the best out there, and so he's getting it. if I had to pay, zen+.

3 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Better Lighting

Silent

it is quite.. quiet, i guess? never really used mx blues/browns/reds, only in store.

i always bottom mine out

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, ryanmassey1337 said:

I like that feature too. There is no lights on the side, just the keycaps and it looks great.

It will probably be on my shortlist.

I am listing G613 and G410 as my next boardkey to buy

well yeah if Romer G switches equipped with Lighting it would be more consistent than Cherry MX Lighting

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Just now, themctipers said:

it is quite.. quiet, i guess? never really used mx blues/browns/reds, only in store.

i always bottom mine out

Looking from MX Blues they are quite loud, while Romer G has that characteristic which is similar to Rubber Dome (I forgot which Character)

Maybe I can finally be confident pressing lightly with the Romer G switches, and i wonder when will Cherry MX RGB Speed switches release?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Looking from MX Blues they are quite loud, while Romer G has that characteristic which is similar to Rubber Dome (I forgot which Character)

Maybe I can finally be confident pressing lightly with the Romer G switches, and i wonder when will Cherry MX RGB Speed switches release?

the tactile bump, yea, i thought it was great but really it is a pain in the ass

click quietly and softly, nope. need to force it i- BAP loud click + bottoms out

going to buy a new keyboard in.. when mine dies. a decade? probably mx blues or the equivalent of mx blues.

i really do not give a shit about mech switches now because they'll all be surpassed by newer technology later when I actually do need a new keyboard.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

the tactile bump, yea, i thought it was great but really it is a pain in the ass

click quietly and softly, nope. need to force it i- BAP loud click + bottoms out

going to buy a new keyboard in.. when mine dies. a decade? probably mx blues or the equivalent of mx blues.

i really do not give a shit about mech switches now because they'll all be surpassed by newer technology later when I actually do need a new keyboard.

yeah i think the MX Speeds are just like

meh (2020)

or Rubber Dome Master Race (RDMR Est. ????)

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

yeah i think the MX Speeds are just like

meh (2020)

or Rubber Dome Master Race (RDMR Est. ????)

membrane is nasty

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

membrane is nasty

first glance i thought Romer G is an upgraded RD

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Roamer G are straight up trash. Like just garbage key feel. It's like pushing your fingers into a bin because it's mushy, strangely "tactile" and they are only good for the lighting evenness they offer. People tend to be pretty polarised on them so if you can, I highly recommend that you try both Roamer G and some cherry switches side by side so you can judge yourself. Personally I'd take almost any other switch type over the Roamer G, muchtastic membrane are nicer even

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Tried Romer G - hated them - ZERO character - it feels like a rubber dome but better made -

If u want a true mechanical switch go cherry or get the new Blackwidow Chroma V2 with the new greetech Razer greens

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

18 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Roamer G are straight up trash. Like just garbage key feel. It's like pushing your fingers into a bin because it's mushy, strangely "tactile" and they are only good for the lighting evenness they offer. People tend to be pretty polarised on them so if you can, I highly recommend that you try both Roamer G and some cherry switches side by side so you can judge yourself. Personally I'd take almost any other switch type over the Roamer G, muchtastic membrane are nicer even

Couldn't agree more - The romer G switches are complete CRAP IMHO - I tried to be unbiased and gave them a chance - typed on them for about 15 min and then vowed to stay clear - they are crap - period -

I have 2 boards with cherry switches and also a new blackwidow V2 with Greetech razer greens - they are all way better than the romer G switches -

I wouldn't recommend the Romer G to anyone -

My advice is - if u want a true mechanical switch exp get either Cherry or try out the Razer blackwidow V2 with the Green switches

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

11 hours ago, geo3 said:

None. This is a myth, there is no such thing as a gaming switch.

Switches choice is subjective. Try each and get which ever you enjoy the feel of more. 

Thanks, will do!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎28‎. ‎01‎. ‎2018 at 4:32 PM, geo3 said:

None. This is a myth, there is no such thing as a gaming switch.

Switches choice is subjective. Try each and get which ever you enjoy the feel of more. 

i agree its very subjective.

strange that so many people hate on romer g. tried many mx switches since i wanted a nice mechanical keyboard. hated the blues (felt like the old keyboards to me, reds were to linear i would live with browns, but then i tried the romer g switches and falled in love with them instantly. love the noise, the feel, they seem very solid, the short travel distance made typing much faster since the actuation points are so high. at first i even thought i missed some keys while typing, but the actuaction distance is so short that it is almost impossible to miss a key. 

point beeing there are many people hating on the romer g switches because they are used to cherry mx (which i completely understand)

so there is no other choice than you going to the store and try all options for yourself. preferably typing a text or smth, so you get a feeling for the actuation points,

its just as simple as that.

as far as gaming goes, didnt really notice a difference bettwen cherry mx brown and romer g switches, probably because i am not a competitive, but a casual gamer, so as far as typing goes i would recommend the romer g, as far as gaming goes i would chose both.

one more point to consider (if you are into that), the led lighning on the romer g switches is just beautiful, no bleed through and the whole key is lit evenly. just looks very premium.

in the end buy what suits you most, the only thing we can give you are our personal opinions which work for us. but as you can see if you judge by opinions you Will end up in a dead end

On 1/28/2018 at 3:56 AM, themctipers said:

Romer-G's implementation of tactility is garbage. The way it just holds and then suddenly gives up just feels awful. The tactility of Cherry Browns is much better and simply provides a nice bump to indicate where the switch activates without causing the switch to collapse after the bump. Cherry Clears are even nicer with more tactility than the browns and after the bump the spring actually gets stiffer, actively preventing you from bottoming out. 

Don't support stuff that companies push out with RGB and charge crazy money for, on top of having limited expandability given their custom switch. Cherry or bust.

On 2/10/2018 at 2:44 AM, Squirrel724 said:

Romer-G's implementation of tactility is garbage. The way it just holds and then suddenly gives up just feels awful. The tactility of Cherry Browns is much better and simply provides a nice bump to indicate where the switch activates without causing the switch to collapse after the bump. Cherry Clears are even nicer with more tactility than the browns and after the bump the spring actually gets stiffer, actively preventing you from bottoming out. 

I completely agree - Romer -G is complete garbage - even rubber dome is better -

Give me cherry MX or Razer Green ( 2017 onwards ) any day