Now even YouTube isn't safe from cryptocurrency miners

Murasaki

Don't you just love when websites resort to mining cryptocurrency using your own CPU cycles? Then you will be pleased to know that they're on YouTube aswell.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/now-even-youtube-serves-ads-with-cpu-draining-cryptocurrency-miners/

YouTube was recently caught displaying ads that covertly leach off visitors' CPUs and electricity to generate digital currency on behalf of anonymous attackers, it was widely reported.

Word of the abusive ads started no later than Tuesday, as people took to social media sites to complain their antivirus programs were detecting cryptocurrency mining code when they visited YouTube. The warnings came even when people changed the browser they were using, and the warnings seemed to be limited to times when users were on YouTube.

The ads contain JavaScript that mines the digital coin known as Monero. In nine out of 10 cases, the ads will use publicly available JavaScript provided by Coinhive, a cryptocurrency-mining service that's controversial because it allows subscribers to profit by surreptitiously using other people's computers. The remaining 10 percent of the time, the YouTube ads use private mining JavaScript that saves the attackers the 30 percent cut Coinhive takes. Both scripts are programmed to consume 80 percent of a visitor's CPU, leaving just barely enough resources for it to function.

And we thought obtrusive and annoying ads were something to complain about. This new "method" is becoming widespread across many websites and most aren't even aware of these scripts sucking off their processors in the background.

Computers are one thing but on mobile devices it drains your battery extremely quick. Equip your hardware with adblockers and phones with 5000mAh+ batteries, the future is gonna be exausting.

I thought youtube is actually checking what ads they are showing. This is pretty bad. 

Even more reasons to get ad blocker. 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Sorry YouTubers, but AdBlock FTW

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

7 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

I thought youtube is actually checking what ads they are showing. This is pretty bad. 

Even more reasons to get ad blocker. 

Google will host any ad so long as someone is paying them. They do not care.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

pi-hole

^^^^^^

best investment i've ever made for my home network

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'm not sure if adblocker will stop it, I have adblock as well as a script blocker and lately the script blocker has been flagging something on youtube but I don't know what. If I see it pop up again I will take a screen shot of the blocked url and share.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

- "Miss Wojcicki! There's another controversy...No, not fuckboys this time. Pirates are using ads to mine what shall we do?"

- "Susan: Say you're working on the situation...do something token like promise to review some of the ad servers...Oh and don't forget to fuck over the little channels some more"

- "Aye aye mam!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Noscript and uBlock Origin, I love both of you.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

websites that force your cpu to mine w/o your permission should be illegal 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just so you guys know, this isn't limited to ads. If the website owner themselves decided to implement this (like what happened to pirate bay), adblock won't help. I personally use minerblock in case a website does this.

brace yourselves

adpocalypse 3.0 is coming

now you'll need 10k subs and be able to gather 50k hours of playtime every 6 months to be eligible for monetisation

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Thia royally screws over usability for those using cpu decode. And the usual battery drain complaints.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

17 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

brace yourselves

now you'll need 10k subs and be able to gather 50k hours of playtime every 6 months to be eligible for monetisation

Google should be able to just run a scan for mining code before they display an ad. What I'm not sure about is if they care enough to do so, or anything that takes them effort and man-hours.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

16 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

brace yourselves

I would look for a Network rather then adsense or whatever youtube uses now.

Network I'm on requirements are pretty low compared to other networks and Youtube system.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

No wonder why my PC runs very sluggish when opening Youtube recently. Even though I already have adblock installed. Oh oh oh, this is insane.

11 minutes ago, Deli said:

No wonder why my PC runs very sluggish when opening Youtube recently. Even though I already adblock installed. Oh oh oh, this is insane.

I use an Intel Atom system out and about, with no VP9 hardware decode (Bay Trail). Mining at the same time would absolutely choke the poor thing. :(

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Official statement from Google from the article

Mining cryptocurrency through ads is a relatively new form of abuse that violates our policies and one that we’ve been monitoring actively. We enforce our policies through a multi-layered detection system across our platforms which we update as new threats emerge. In this case, the ads were blocked in less than two hours and the malicious actors were quickly removed from our platforms.

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

1 hour ago, Deli said:

No wonder why my PC runs very sluggish when opening Youtube recently. Even though I already adblock installed. Oh oh oh, this is insane.

If you're using AdBlock, you should switch to uBlock instead. It works much better in many ways.

4 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

If you're using AdBlock, you should switch to uBlock instead. It works much better in many ways.

Will try it this evening. Thanks for the advice.