Most beautiful Linux distro

Also, a little explanation please?

3 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Linux is ugly because of the userland, not because of the desktop.

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

5 hours ago, 101dmrs said:

I think their is no 'most beautiful' Linux distro. The beauty of Linux lies in it's customizability. How good your Linux looks depends on your creativity and your skills, not on "the available distros". One might install gnome, a nice theme and iconpack, and some extensions and call it a day. It will result in a good looking DE. Others will go with a very minimal WM and dive into config files and never stop configuring and tweaking. They will end up with a very good looking setup, that will always change to match their tastes.

This is my (Desktop) setup: 
2018-01-31-142915_3840x1080_scrot.thumb.png.1a6b1b47b09ef8981bf43fac45ed80ee.png

It's running fedora, with the i3-gaps window manager and polybar as the statusbar.

My laptop looks the same, but has only 1 monitor, runs Arch and has different elements in the statusbar:

2018-01-31-144606_1920x1080_scrot.thumb.png.9db387aea25021de34dd2ccd164948bb.png

why so many people like dark themes? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

I find GNU to be disturbing. Pretty colors won't help.

Why? mac is unix. do you find that disturbing? linux is just unix, only not in name nor licence as such. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

50 minutes ago, wasab said:

Why? mac is unix. do you find that disturbing?

Yes, but for other reasons.

50 minutes ago, wasab said:

linux is just unix, only not in name nor licence as such. 

Not heritage nor philosophy. No, Linux is not Unix. It never wanted to, it never will.

Write in C.

11 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

but with for example chrome, they still look out of place for me... i'm talking above the tabs.

You mean the title bar? That's more a matter of taste, but you can disable system title bars if you want. I use title bar menus, so the title bar serves a purpose on every application that exports and app menu (mostly Qt, but Electron apps and Chromium/Chrome do it too).

Screenshot_2018-01-31T15-25-03Z.png.74db070ff5adc39a1bb6e52fb48dd775.png

Screenshot_2018-01-31T15-20-01Z.png.a3b3f2fe7ff5db7a6158d5a639f57a63.png

2 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

You mean the title bar? That's more a matter of taste, but you can disable system title bars if you want. I use title bar menus, so the title bar serves a purpose on every application that exports and app menu (mostly Qt, but Electron apps and Chromium/Chrome do it too).

Screenshot_2018-01-31T15-20-01Z.png.cf670c6aee37500937fe62a32541fe5f.png

to me that looks off. and if i disable them for chrome, it looks weird too because the rest of the system still has them

She/Her

23 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

to me that looks off. and if i disable them for chrome, it looks weird too because the rest of the system still has them

Well, like I said, it's a matter of taste. The GTK3 CSD header bars you can get with newer versions of Chrome and Firefox look awful to me and don't really save much in the way of screen space. You can't really call that theming inconsistency if it's consistent with the rest of the system.

If you'll excuse the music, here's a video I found showing what the GTK3 CSDs currently look like in GNOME 3:

10 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Linux is ugly because of the userland, not because of the desktop.

I hope you realize the desktop is userland.

39 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Yes, but for other reasons.

Not heritage nor philosophy. No, Linux is not Unix. It never wanted to, it never will.

So you came to a thread about appearances to rant about GNU and licensing you don't agree with... We get it, you're a *BSD fanboy.

13 hours ago, noahdvs said:

I hope you realize the desktop is userland.

I hope you realize that the userland is more than that.

So you came to a thread about appearances to rant about GNU and licensing you don't agree with...

Which part of the license was mentioned here?

We get it, you're a *BSD fanboy.

There is no reason to call me names.

Write in C.

On 1/31/2018 at 3:59 PM, Jamiec1130 said:

Deepin isn't too bad, but it sure had some odd quirks for me.

Deepin is good but it an Chinese distribution.

I prefer elementary OS, Fedora, Kano OS 

21 hours ago, noahdvs said:

Well, like I said, it's a matter of taste. The GTK3 CSD header bars you can get with newer versions of Chrome and Firefox look awful to me and don't really save much in the way of screen space. You can't really call that theming inconsistency if it's consistent with the rest of the system.

If you'll excuse the music, here's a video I found showing what the GTK3 CSDs currently look like in GNOME 3:

my system doesn't look like that at all...

my window borders on manjaro gnome are smaller than the firefox tabs in terms of height...  a little smaller than the Windows 10 one's even.

She/Her

On 1/27/2018 at 2:42 PM, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Means good looking just like Mac os

Unlike macOS a linux distribution (especially the more diy ones like arch) can be suited to your personal taste, so it's impossible to say what looks "best" - only you can answer that for yourself. There are some themes for all major DEs that emulate the macOS look though if you're into that.

On 1/30/2018 at 7:18 PM, firelighter487 said:

the window borders look completely out of place on non-qt applications.

In my experience it's been the exact opposite, with KDE automatically setting gtk themes to match and gtk desktops completely ignoring qt. It depends on what you use and what the defaults are, but a stock installation of plasma 5 on arch linux gave me no problems.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 hours ago, Sauron said:

There are some themes for all major DEs that emulate the macOS look though if you're into that.

Suggest some Linux OS that can emulate Mac OS.

8 hours ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Suggest some Linux OS that can emulate Mac OS.

Anything with kde, gnome or xfce. For example: ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, antergos, opensuse, fedora. In all of these cases you'll have to install a macOS-like theme though and possibly do some configuration tinkering to get it "right". Note that these can emulate the macOS desktop look, not its exact functionality (as in, don't expect things to work in the exact same way).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 1/31/2018 at 8:16 PM, wasab said:

why so many people like dark themes? 

Personally I find it a lot easier on my eyes, especially for reading. It also reduces the sense of clutter. That's just my opinion though.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There's no such thing as "the most beautiful distro" because a distribution can have many flavors, and a DE can have many distributions that uses it.

KDE Plasma desktop has the best design by default, IMO.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

On 2/4/2018 at 1:16 AM, wasab said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/make-ubuntu-look-like-mac-5-steps/amp

ubuntu can be tweaked into full blown Mac, even the boot logo.

When i was on ubuntu i always had mac os theme with boot logo. I even went further and replaced my hp 4540s bios hp logo with apple logo :D Then i installed real mac os x on it. You know these laptops are easiest when it comes to install mac os x on a laptop. But mac os x is shit and so is ubuntu. Now i have arch linux + xfce and soon i am going to waste 1 week to install i3 and customize it for my needs :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

3 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

When i was on ubuntu i always had mac os theme with boot logo. I even went further and replaced my hp 4540s bios hp logo with apple logo :D Then i installed real mac os x on it. You know these laptops are easiest when it comes to install mac os x on a laptop. But mac os x is shit and so is ubuntu. Now i have arch linux + xfce and soon i am going to waste 1 week to install i3 and customize it for my needs :D

I dislike macs, even though I had never ever use it hehe. They are overprice shiny metal in my opinion.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

26 minutes ago, wasab said:

I dislike macs, even though I had never ever use it hehe. They are overprice shiny metal in my opinion.

Me too. They are overpriced! You can get 2x hardware and software for that money :) Although on software side it's better then windows.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

21 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Me too. They are overpriced! You can get 2x hardware and software for that money :) Although on software side it's better then windows.

Mouse needs scroll wheel, the keyboard needs the control key, the function key, Mac itself needs the headphone jack. Other than these and the high price, hardware wise they are fine.

Sudo make me a sandwich