Ubisoft adds Predatory Lootboxes to Rainbow Six Siege and increases base game price by 50%

AlTech

Now i kinda want to set some things straight.

Firstly whats the big problem with them removing the Normal $40 set and adding in a $60 advanced edition which will get you more that what the $40 would have. Secondly the $40 pack is now pretty much the starter edition pack which costs less. 

The difference between the starter edition and the old $40 game is that you get so many character (Base game Operators) for free off the bat... but the rest you will have to unlock over time. The catch is they are cost the same amount instead of the increment system that was is the $40 pack. 

Secondly RB6 siege always hat loot boxes and Micro-transactions  that are NOT blinding factors of the game they are there for people who want to put money into having a cool looking skin or weapon. everything that Does affect gameplay is available for ALL players. Base players and the Season Pass buyers. So the playing field is the same. 

I'm all for a good talk about how some game companies are pushing stuff too far but tbh this Thread is really taking the piss. I feel these thread are more just people wanting to whine about small things for the sake of it. 

And I'll always come to the same conclusion. Just Why? You complain about companies that do this on a forum hopping that people will change it or open their eyes. Some will other wont. Some will agree others will disagree,

Yet These posts always come down to the Consumer and what they want to do with their money. Let people who have the money or feel like spending money do so. It wont affect the player base and the gameplay one bit unless your someone that will freeze at the sight of an enemy having a very rare skin. 

In short, It is pointless to make as all it does is go 'HEY, LOOK AT THIS I DON'T LIKE IT!!' or well what it looks like to me. 

Everyone has a right to their opinions and i understand where you are getting at but in the end a Game Company or normal company is gonna make a decision to bring in more profit because guess what? The World Revolves around Money and it ain't gonna change anytime soon just to please a small hand full of consumers.

Before i start getting pegged as a Fanboy etc, I really don't care for any game company and their products, They make a game which is enjoyable base game i ain't gonna argue, If they Don't try throwing loot boxes and Micro-Transactions at my face at every possible opportunity, Bonus. But it ain't gonna change mine or others standing that they will buy a game they find to look  interesting or fun.

Feel free to start throwing the hate my way, Not like i'm gonna get triggered

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

3 hours ago, Alex Colson said:

Now i kinda want to set some things straight.

Firstly whats the big problem with them removing the Normal $40 set and adding in a $60 advanced edition which will get you more that what the $40 would have. Secondly the $40 pack is now pretty much the starter edition pack which costs less. 

The difference between the starter edition and the old $40 game is that you get so many character (Base game Operators) for free off the bat... but the rest you will have to unlock over time.

If you read most this thread you'll notice close to nobody cares one bit about the loot boxes. The big issue which has been around since release is that the starter edition of the game should not exist. The unlock system is so ridiculous that the game is basically unplayable. I'm not saying that it's unfair or unreasonable for the price, but it's advertised in an incredibly misleading fashion. By upping the standard price, they're basically going to make every reasonable person on steam look at the standard edition bundled with currency, compare it with the starter edition, and then buy the starter edition. At that point (as far as I am aware, mabye correct me) there is no upgrade package to standard edition and your choice is to buy a couple season passes or to grind away for many hundreds of hours to get a few operators. And I'm talking like 100 hours for  a single season 1 operator. If ubi were to make it very, very clear exactly how the starter edition differs at the top of the steam store page (much less the uplay one which has even less information) I would not take so much issue with this move.

5 hours ago, Soonercoop21 said:

-Snip- 

I get what your saying but tjey actually do mention the operator unlock system will be different and give you a link which explains it in detail. So they dont actually hide thay from you. The one that buy it without reading well ya they will be pissed secondly. If you get a set of operators you like from the free ones you can select grinding out the rest ont be a choir because you already got the ones you like. 

I do agree about the fact to upgrade to a standard edition but look at it this way. The starter edition gets you some enablers you like off the bat (base game operators) and then if you do the situations you could get another 2 possibly. 

The thing is you actually arent grinding much more than the standard edition as that one you HAD to do the situations to get operators and most only done them half ass'd and got two then had to grind for the rest.

I understand why people are annoyed but if you it doesnt bother you why up roar about it. Like i stated all companies will do things to increase their profits doesnt change it because they are ik the game industry sadly.

I'm just more frustrated at these threads complaining about this to try and kick people over when its one sided.

People look at what EA did a greed. Bur honestly NO ONE knows why they did it. My own opinion is they couldnt start from scratch and had to continue with it leading to this uproar and convieniently no statement to calm people. Presumably because they know what ever they say cant correct. Why fuel a fire.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

I was thinking of getting R6S but now it doesn't really seem like a nicer game than Paladins... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Spit often enough into peoples face and they will wonder where the rain went when you stop

16 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I was thinking of getting R6S but now it doesn't really seem like a nicer game than Paladins... 

Depends, None of the Micro-Transactions or Loot boxes influence how the game is played overall. I have the Started edition and have all the basic operators unlocked plus a single Season Pass operator bought, I Didn't find it a grind as i got the operators i wanted the most first plus Recruit is still a good operator to play as, even if people think because you pick it your a newbie.

But it Comes down to your decision, Do you want the game to play with friends (Is better than playing it solo) or you looking to go solo which can lead to max 3-4 matches a play session due to getting bored of it quickly if people don't communicate. 

are you ever going to update the original post?

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

19 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I've played 258 hours to this day, and imo, it's worth it

All of the operators are unlockable with Renown; I saved for a solid week for Hibana and Echo, the Alpha Pack system is quite good, and the gameplay is excellent. There was never a point I felt pressured into opening my wallet; some of the best operators are in the base game. If you have a group of people you can play with on a regular basis, the game becomes so much more fun, but solo queuing is still incredibly entertaining depending on who you get matched with.

It's fucking stupid of Ubisoft to add paid lootboxes, but, as pointed out by others, you don't HAVE to purchase them; it's all cosmetic anyway. Ubisoft is apparently looking to rework the Starter Edition's operator prices in the future, which should alleviate the main detriment to it.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Polaroid Spectra System

On 1/27/2018 at 8:51 AM, VegetableStu said:

people maybe are too young but that does not excuse the fact that you can inform yourself before doing something like this. Games for the SNES, N64 or Mega Drive were 60$ or closed to it decades ago. So kind of a missed opportunity to be accurate.

What makes a price is supply and demand, the price of 60$ is the price sellers think consumers are willing to pay, it as nothing to do with costs or inflation. To much needless complication to explain the unexplainable, greed.

On 1/27/2018 at 11:42 PM, Soonercoop21 said:

If you read most this thread you'll notice close to nobody cares one bit about the loot boxes. The big issue which has been around since release is that the starter edition of the game should not exist. The unlock system is so ridiculous that the game is basically unplayable. I'm not saying that it's unfair or unreasonable for the price, but it's advertised in an incredibly misleading fashion. By upping the standard price, they're basically going to make every reasonable person on steam look at the standard edition bundled with currency, compare it with the starter edition, and then buy the starter edition. At that point (as far as I am aware, mabye correct me) there is no upgrade package to standard edition and your choice is to buy a couple season passes or to grind away for many hundreds of hours to get a few operators. And I'm talking like 100 hours for  a single season 1 operator. If ubi were to make it very, very clear exactly how the starter edition differs at the top of the steam store page (much less the uplay one which has even less information) I would not take so much issue with this move.

lol what. basically unplayable? i unlocked my operators with renown and i'm a casual as fuck player who only plays co op with my friends every now and again when we get the urge to play and i didn't need to grind "100s of hours to get a few operators" did you even play r6s. i barely crossed 50 hours of playtime and i have all the operators i cared about playing.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

1 hour ago, bbqsauce said:

lol what. basically unplayable? i unlocked my operators with renown and i'm a casual as fuck player who only plays co op with my friends every now and again when we get the urge to play and i didn't need to grind "100s of hours to get a few operators" did you even play r6s. i barely crossed 50 hours of playtime and i have all the operators i cared about playing.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said starter edition. No, I am not exaggerating, in my experience it takes about 50 hours to get 12500 renown (a vanilla operator) in casual or 100 for 25000 renown (a season 1 or 2 operator). Yes, I have 400 hours on the game. Your experience may differ but this is unironically mine.

I got that 8 dollar version on steam during the winter sale lol

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

5 hours ago, Soonercoop21 said:

50 hours to get 12500 renown (a vanilla operator) in casual

whoa, how little are you playing?

pretty much all my friends have Starter edition, and they're able to get a new op about every 5ish hours

Polaroid Spectra System

This is way not the same thing. This is cosmetic items, not actual characters in the game, or guns, or anything that actually matters. As far as the price being raised they are including an entire year of DLC (which i'm pretty sure they lowered the price back). This really isn't a 'horrible' thing. I honestly don't know how anyone can be upset about this they are 100% cosmetic items.

1 hour ago, shadowbyte said:

whoa, how little are you playing?

pretty much all my friends have Starter edition, and they're able to get a new op about every 5ish hours

idk it probably doesn't help that back in last spring when I played daily it took about 5-10 mins to even find a competitive match. I know 50 hours sounds a bit ridiculous but I think 5 sounds pretty low even if you were winning every match you played for 12500 renown. It's like 600 renown per game and a game is 10-20 mins. Mabye if you win every match and you're in casual, but especially in competitive with a reasonable win/loss it takes a while.

23 hours ago, Soonercoop21 said:

Perhaps you missed the part where I said starter edition. No, I am not exaggerating, in my experience it takes about 50 hours to get 12500 renown (a vanilla operator) in casual or 100 for 25000 renown (a season 1 or 2 operator). Yes, I have 400 hours on the game. Your experience may differ but this is unironically mine.

What? My friend has start edition and every 6-7 hours can get a new operator...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

On 1/29/2018 at 7:31 AM, Soonercoop21 said:

Are you losing every single game? It takes me 5 hours to get a 12,500 cost operator

On 1/27/2018 at 2:51 AM, VegetableStu said:

In a word, bullshit. The size of the gaming pool has expanded significantly since the 90's. Moreover, distribution costs per unit have shrunk enormously. The reality is that they want greater profit per unit because shareholders see the dollar signs dropping off other games. The games which are the biggest culprits of this disparity being sports games, which have marginal improvement at best each year. Then there's the fact that the latest consoles(except for the Switch) are extremely similar to a standard PC. Which means that ports are cheaper than ever to make.

Blame the sheep horde players from Wow, War Thunder, Guild Wars and all other MMORPG's. Millions - hundreds of millions - of people endlessly buying useless stuff to look different in a game they spend most of their life on. Then add the greedy-hippo, Western-world-culture-devouring hordes of the third world buying in-game crap.

The developers and their financial departments will you it's due to rising development costs. But once a games made, it needs no or very little extra development besides updates.

I recently saw a particularly rancid and aggressively defiant view (in the face of the Star Wars BF2 consumer revolution) from some gaming industry suits that went like: 'Games should cost more, not less, as they give much huger value than a movie'. As if the two mediums are in ANY way comparable in that way.

EDIT: PS, though: Cosmetics are the right way of doing microtransactions in games, if games need ongoing development. But a tiny few games only do cosmetics.