Virtual Machines and Viruses and so on

SeeFights

Basically I am having some friends over next week and we wanna piss around with viruses and so on. My question is on my main PC if i download and install a virtual machine can i launch the VM and install viruses and would it destroy my main PC?

Just now, SeeFights said:

"should"

I'm not aware of any virtual machines that have destroyed the machine they're running on just by a virus. I've watched a lot of tech support scam videos as well, and the maker of those videos runs virtual machines so the scammers can't mess with his actual machine.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

This is how many people test their programs for white hat internet security and penetration testing and so on.

Use a virtual machine to test it. You can see if any client/server connections are properly connecting and what not.

It most likely won't harm your physical machine, as you can always delete that Virtual Machine and set up a new one to start fresh.

by "Most likely" I mean if you set it all up properly.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

You should be good running viruses in the VM. As long as you run them and install them from the VM you will be okay. Back up your machine just to be safe. 

1 minute ago, SeeFights said:

Okay well i hope your all right, any VM suggestions?

Virtual box from oracle, Free and easy to setup. 

Just now, Sergio45 said:

ok  ill give it ago

You will be fine, the machines don't have machine based drive access or any permissions..that is unless you allowed them

I work for an AFB and we use some VM's for testing and haven't had a single issue, plus would they really allow us to do something if it was potentially dangerous towards there network?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

1 minute ago, Sergio45 said:

Parrallels is good, so is VMware but they aren't free. VMware does offer free virtual applications though.

Personally I use virtualbox too, haven't had a single issue and it works great for testing.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

1 minute ago, Icuw1pc said:

You will be fine, the machines don't have machine based drive access or any permissions..that is unless you allowed them

I work for an AFB and we use some VM's for testing and haven't had a single issue, plus would they really allow us to do something if it was potentially dangerous towards there network?

i mean im new to VM's which is why i came here to ask and me and my friends just wanted to just mess around with viruses that send pop ups and play random sounds and just destory the PC

Also if you have windows 10 pro, I do believe that has a virtualization client built in that doesn't seem bad.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

33 minutes ago, Revamp said:

Also if you have windows 10 pro, I do believe that has a virtualization client built in that doesn't seem bad.

Yep they've got Hpyer-V, but by default it's disabled so you will have to go in through Programs & Features to enable it. If your at Uninstall or Change a Program through Control Panel it will be directly to your left, just go ahead and click the text and check the box next to Hyper-V.