Benefits of having an M.2 SSD as the OS drive

I know there's probably a lot of threads about this, and I'm very sorry if there are, but I can't seem to find a lot of advantages of having an SSD (especially m.2) to keep your OS on. Does it make everything in the system faster? Confused on this.

hi

Yes.

And M.2 pointless for basic users.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

M.2 is cleaner to install. If you're asking about NVMe, you don't need it unless you do a lot of movement with numerous or large files. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, userzero said:

Yes.

And M.2 pointless for basic users.

I disagree. M.2 offers less cable management and better use of space. No power cables, and no data cables. The form factor is compact and takes up less room than 2.5-inch drives.

I'm sure, however you meant NVMe is pointless for basic users... but that's not what M.2 is.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

M.2 is a form factor. Are you referring to NVMe SSDs (that use the M.2 form factor) or SATA M.2 SSDs?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

M.2 is a form factor. Are you referring to NVMe SSDs (that use the M.2 form factor) or SATA M.2 SSDs?

The SATA ones (SATA II and III)

hi

3 minutes ago, germgoatz said:

The SATA ones (SATA II and III)

Then the only benefit is not taking up space for cables. They're the same as a 2.5" SATA SSD. They won't be faster just because they're shaped differently.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Then the only benefit is not taking up space for cables. They're the same as a 2.5" SATA SSD. They won't be faster just because they're shaped differently.

My main question was how much the performance boost was when putting your OS onto an SSD rather than an HDD

hi

1 minute ago, germgoatz said:

My main question was how much the performance boost was when putting your OS onto an SSD rather than an HDD

The performance boost is great.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, germgoatz said:

Then that doesn't apply to just M.2 SATA SSDs, but rather M.2 and 2.5" SATA SSDs. Everything will be more responsive, your computer will boot quicker, they're more reliable than mechanical drives (especially in laptops), etc.

2 minutes ago, germgoatz said:

it's massive, everything loads faster, the system responds snappier, it's so worth it.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

your system will boot in like ~15-20seconds and is ready to go,

HDD is much slower if i remember right i had like 2-3 minutes or so for full functionality at the desktop until everything was ready

you can easy"pimp" older systems with the SSD upgrade and still keep them ;)

a few days ago a customer showed his a dell inspirion 1720 ( ~10 Years old) and the SSD protected it from being disposed

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

What about an emmc drive?

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

Just now, Fruitsnacc said:

What about an emmc drive?

Those are nowhere near as fast as a SATA or NVMe SSD. They are designed to be cost effective for cheap laptops.

At least on Ryzen and Threadripper, NVME SSDs get a  pci-e x4 connection directly to the cpu, there's a dedicated connection.

This could mean lower latency, higher IOPS etc etc.

For example, let's say a big database on the m.2 SSD which is capable of reading at up to 2-3 GB/s - that could help the database server process more queries per second.

The sata controller , the usb ports and a bunch of regular pci-e x1 and x4 slots are connected to the chipset and there's just a pci-e x4 connection between the cpu and chipset, so all the data from all devices attached to the chipset has to be squeezed through that x4 connection, while the nvme ssd has its own separate x4 "highway"

Other than that... regular sata m.2 ssds ... the benefit is less cable clutter, less risk of cables going bad resulting in transfer errors (very rare but happens) the downside is that being so small there's potential of drive being warmer which can result in lower lifetime... in some cases the m.2 ssd gets heat from the video card as well, which isn't great..

Another risk is extremely small risk of damaging the drive due to stuff falling on it, like screwdrivers or cards when user works in the computer , extremely small risk of user being statically charged and damaging the drive by touching the exposed metal parts while charged (regular sata ssds are nicely protected by plastic or metal case, they're basically bricks)

If you are still on HDD for OS, you have been missing out a huge performance boost over HDD for ages. My self got my first SSD back in 2010 and i have never locked back since then.

what ever we talk M.2 sata, M.2 NVme or normal sata SSD. they all have in common that they are by far faster than a harddrive. SSD will make your pc to boot faster, load games faster (but will not give you more FPS cause that is still done by CPU/GPU unless your hardrive i slower than a snail), programs will open faster and in generel use your pc will feels more responsive and will not have the problem of hanging while loading files unless your CPU cant keep up.

today in my opinion every pc shut have a SSD for OS drive and for gamers an SSD for games is also really nice specially if you run games with alot of load sekvenses.

Here my pc booting and shut down with a Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB M.2 NVMe SSD and this is a 8 year old X58 pc. Taken that in to account, i think my pc have a very respectable boot time after bios is finishing posting.

25 minutes ago, Intelfreak said:

If you are still on HDD for OS, you have been missing out a huge performance boost over HDD for ages. My self got my first SSD back in 2010 and i have never locked back since then.

what ever we talk M.2 sata, M.2 NVme or normal sata SSD. they all have in common that they are by far faster than a harddrive. SSD will make your pc to boot faster, load games faster (but will not give you more FPS cause that is still done by CPU/GPU unless your hardrive i slower than a snail), programs will open faster and in generel use your pc will feels more responsive and will not have the problem of hanging while loading files unless your CPU cant keep up.

today in my opinion every pc shut have a SSD for OS drive and for gamers an SSD for games is also really nice specially if you run games with alot of load sekvenses.

Here my pc booting and shut down with a Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB M.2 NVMe SSD and this is a 8 year old X58 pc. Taken that in to account, i think my pc have a very respectable boot time after bios is finishing posting.

The bit before the Windows logo shows is all down to the motherboard checking all the devices etc. Newer motherboards will be faster. After that, you see the excellent SSD speed - no loading symbols!

I edit my posts a lot.

1 minute ago, MrDrWho13 said:

The bit before the Windows logo shows is all down to the motherboard checking all the devices etc. Newer motherboards will be faster. After that, you see the excellent SSD speed - no loading symbols!

on my MX300 m.2 SSD (SATA) i get about one and a half revolutions of the windows loading circles before the desktop starts to load.

System specs:

Just now, knightslugger said:

on my MX300 m.2 SSD (SATA) i get about one and a half revolutions of the windows loading circles before the desktop starts to load.

Yeah I get just under that with a cheap SATA SSD.

I edit my posts a lot.

7 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

yes that is also why i ride: i think my pc have a very respectable boot time after bios is finishing posting. Never motherboards with UEFI boots faster that is correct, but my old motherboard is from before UEFI. So OP ses SSD lovely boot time from when windows logo comes on.

• 2 years later...