1080Ti vs. Quake 1?

DrDerp

So I just got bored, and was thinking about a 1080Ti and how far we’ve come between the first 3D Graphics card and now. Then I thought; what if someone put the Crysis of the mid 90’s up against it? 4K Resolution? Can Quake even scale to that through tweaking? How many FPS would it get?

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

You will be CPU limited, GPU will barely have to work.

Assuming there is no other limitation like the game engine.

Game engine for sure, software would be the bottleneck... like the constant issue with crazy fps fluctuation people with the highest and latest end computers out there are facing when playing games like cs:go/titanfall 2 right now due to Source being simply too old by now.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Game engine for sure, software would be the bottleneck... like the constant issue with crazy fps fluctuation people with the highest and latest end computers out there are facing when playing games like cs:go/titanfall 2 right now due to Source being simply too old by now.

Idtech3 (I think it’s three correct me if I’m wrong) is a surprisingly usable engine nowadays with tweaks.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

1 minute ago, DrDerp said:

Idtech3 (I think it’s three correct me if I’m wrong) is a surprisingly usable engine nowadays with tweaks.

Quake 1 is id tech 1.5 (called quake engine at the time). But yes, you can tweak it pretty much at will and, since the game has been open source for years, there are plenty of ports and improvements with support for high resolutions and more modern effects (although there's a limit to how good you can make a 1996 game look).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, DrDerp said:

Not really Coffee Lake and Pascal also are not all friendly to it, these tweaks are getting more and more needed to keep compatibility... regardless all engines reaches a point they need to be upgraded on their cores, as I given the example, VALVe should already have done the Source 2 port to their most popular games like CS:GO and TF2... since these issues are becoming more and more apparent.

You can't have a 2018 game launching on an engine designed back in 2003, there is a limit heheheh.

Not saying it won't work, for now, but that aim for the future always is the best solution rather than keep finding ways around having old stuff still running "fine" on the latest architectures.

Just my view though.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Sakkura said:

I played Quake 1 in VR maybe a year and a half ago. Works fine with the mod.

That sounds kinda intense...

Strafing around giant monsters in VR anyways.

1 minute ago, DrDerp said:

That sounds kinda intense...

Strafing around giant monsters in VR anyways.

Well you can always play Doom VFR, LOL

2 minutes ago, Roman848 said:

Well you can always play Doom VFR, LOL

I don’t even have a graphics card...

So that’s where low spec YouTube videos come in.

Just now, DrDerp said:

I don’t even have a graphics card...

So that’s where the Low Spec Gamer comes in!

Pity.... i can send you 8800 GT. But it has some artifacts and was in the oven once :D:D

Just now, Roman848 said:

Pity.... i can send you 8800 GT. But it has some artifacts and was in the oven once :D:D

Hey, it’s a legitamate cure sometimes!

Anyways I’m fine in the mean time, not enough time for gaming. So I’m just watinf until the miners jump ship for a decently priced low profile GTX 1050 TI.

Just now, DrDerp said:

Hey, it’s a legitamate cure sometimes!

Anyways I’m fine in the mean time, not enough time for gaming. So I’m just watinf until the miners jump ship for a decently priced low profile GTX 1050 TI.

Yeah, saw that post. *offtopic*

If you're going to use the original Quake, there's a problem: it's a DOS game. There are source ports though to Windows. But even then, the game engine is only going to run on a single core and the FPS might be capped due to how game designers did things back then.

Though this is reminding me of the time I managed to get 4-digit frame rates in 3DMark 03's Game 1 Test a few years ago.

EDIT: A GTX 1080 can get ~2000 FPS on average in 3DMark 03. Lovely.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're going to use the original Quake, there's a problem: it's a DOS game. There are source ports though to Windows. But even then, the game engine is only going to run on a single core and the FPS might be capped due to how game designers did things back then.

Though this is reminding me of the time I managed to get 4-digit frame rates in 3DMark 03's Game 1 Test a few years ago.

EDIT: A GTX 1080 can get ~2000 FPS on average in 3DMark 03. Lovely.

One guy cranked the settings of Half Life 2 all the way down and got a max of a little under 1000 FPS on a 1050 I think.