Aigo GT series PSU...good or bad? (warning, GIF heavy)

genexis_x

This is one of the hot selling PSUs in Malaysia. Below $50 which is considered very affordable (yes, PSUs are overpriced here), fully modular design which is the only PSU with this feature in this price segment, 14cm hydraulic fan. Here are some details on it, would be better if any PSU expert can identify the PSU platform and provide more details on it. (I have little to no knowledge to read PSU facts)

Edit: Looks like a group regulated design, some facts are completely useless, also looks like it uses crappy capacitors and no solid capacitors at all

No automatic alt text available.Image may contain: textNo automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.Image may contain: one or more peopleNo automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.Image may contain: textNo automatic alt text available.Image may contain: textImage may contain: textNo automatic alt text available.

From the product marketing, it sounds good on paper, but I would like to know what you guys think about it. Do you think it's a decent enough PSU (which tier) or, it has some flaws and it's a bad PSU?

Calling out all PSU experts here:
@STRMfrmXMN @Stefan Payne @jonnyGURU @Energycore @JDE anyone else

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Best option is to read the reviews. I can barely find anything about it online here in the US, and I don't think Europe will be able to find much about it either.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

If I remember correctly from a jonnyguru's reviews, single rail is more recommended than dual rail. At least if the implementation of dual rail is not done properly.

I'm not an expert at all. You need a proper review to trust this PSU which to be honest you might not find one, not at least in near future. All I can say is that AIGO started to make other PC components, so not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

From what I could read of the small print, it has electrolytic caps.  Now days PSU's are all using ceramic caps so that would tell me this PSU is a little dated.

The dielectric choice (electrolytic vs. "brown" which is probably ceramic) determines energy storage density (capacitance vs. volume) as well as how the capacitor behaves with temperature, what its internal resistance is, etc.  While electrolytics have the highest energy storage density (most capacitance for a given size) they are the worst type of capacitor in the other respects: their capacitance changes a lot with temperature, they will "dry out" and fail when operated at >85C for long periods of time, they have higher internal resistance, etc.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=24109.0

Lol the fact that it advertises electrolytic capacitors is hilarious.

As usual, no review no buy

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

It's 230V only, so the primary side components are weak.
"Built-in electrolytic capacitor" is hilarious, every PSU must have them to work.
The size of that transformer doesn't look like it can reliably do 500W at all.
Also the placement of the +5VSB transformer so close to the secondary side heatsink is a terrible idea.
That protection IC is only 8pin, so regardless of the model it's not going to have many crucial protections like OTP.
They advertise synchronous rectification (using pictures of the modular PCB and the underside of main PCB, lol), but I don't believe they actually put MOSFETs on the secondary side. I would guess they're using ordinary Shottky Barrier Rectifiers (so passive rectification) like any cheap PSU.
CS capacitors are anything but quality.

And nope, it doesn't have multiple 12V rails since there is nothing to divide them. That protection IC can't do that.

Ah and of course it's group regulated, no DC-DC modules or independent regulation whatsoever.

2 hours ago, kb5zue said:
2 hours ago, kb5zue said:

Now days PSU's are all using ceramic caps so that would tell me this PSU is a little dated.

Ceramic capacitors are the small blue discs you see before the bridge rectifier. You're thinking of solid caps, and modern PSUs do implement them often on the secondary side, but they absolutely can't get away without using wet electrolytic capacitors altogether (hold up caps, secondary filtering caps).

3 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

This is one of the hot selling PSUs in Malaysia. Below $50 which is considered very affordable (yes, PSUs are overpriced here), fully modular design which is the only PSU with this feature in this price segment, 14cm hydraulic fan. Here are some details on it, would be better if any PSU expert can identify the PSU platform and provide more details on it. (I have little to no knowledge to read PSU facts)

Edit: Looks like a group regulated design, some facts are completely useless, also looks like it uses crappy capacitors and no solid capacitors at all

From the product marketing, it sounds good on paper, but I would like to know what you guys think about it. Do you think it's a decent enough PSU (which tier) or, it has some flaws and it's a bad PSU?

Calling out all PSU experts here:
@STRMfrmXMN @Stefan Payne @jonnyGURU @Energycore @JDE anyone else

It looks like shit. The caps are cheaper CS ones and probably ChengX as well. 

From what I've seen I'd trust it as far as I could thorw them. The caps on the secondary side seems a bit small, 330µF/400V on the primary side seems reasonable.

But then again, one of those garbage 8pin supervisior ICs on a group regulated unit. Naa, stay away, its a bad unit and I'd not expect them to stay in spec under full load. 

BUT There is one really interesting thing about this unit:
The PCB and the PCB Markings!
That looks like Seasonic! or the same factory Seasonic uses.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

This marketing is hilarious.  So thick with the cow manure. 

38 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are you sure that's not horse manure?  Or that could be the newer option....  LOL

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I love that most of the marketing is: it works like a PSU! It can operate! Buy our PSU please it works. It also looks "high end and atmospheric"

And also

4. The main transformer core is magnets

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

12 hours ago, Energycore said:

magnets

HOW DO THEY WORK?!?!?

RC7ythLE3t-4.png

16 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Wide in width - in case you thought it's "wide in length" or "wide in depth"?? Lmao

FWIW:  That is NOT the best wound coil I've seen.....

Just a note, this PSU has no 80 Plus certification :/

A bad start by all means?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

20 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Just a note, this PSU has no 80 Plus certification :/

A bad start by all means?

They claim to have 80 PLUS Bronze for 230V EU.  It takes about two months for Ecova to "approve" a PSU for a paricular rating and even then they won't post it live on their website until you pay them.