Question: PWM fans (and pump) not responding to Asus Q-Fan

AperumDesign

Hi all,

I've recently just finished a new system and I'm having some issues with the fans which I can't seem to solve.

Components in use:

- Asus STRIX Z370-F Motherboard

- 5x EK Vardar EVO 120ER 2200RPM PWM fans connected to a ModMyToys 8-way 4-Pin PWM PCB via custom-made 4pin extensions

- Laing DDC-1T Plus PWM Pump (I know this isn't a watercooling thread, but a pump and fan function in the same way)

Note: I made a custom cable to connect the ModMyToys PCB to a molex connector (to PSU via 12V and Ground) and the PWM in and RPM out to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard. So basically the cable goes from 4pin fan (PCB) to molex (PSU) and 4pin fan (PWM, RPM).

When I first booted the system and installed windows, without touching any fan controls in the BIOS, the fans and pump would stay at low RPM, then every 15 seconds or so, would ramp up to full, then go back down. I then installed SpeedFan and set it up (correctly, I have done it before). The pump's RPM can be changed easily, however at 50% on SpeedFan it's actually at 100% RPM). In SpeedFan, at 0% the fans would turn off, but at anything above that, they would stay at 300-500RPM, no matter what the setting. Strangely, despite setting the motherboards pwm headers to manual control on SpeedFan, the fans (not pump) would still ramp up occasionally to 2000RPM or so, even though the CPU temperatures were very normal. I then uninstalled SpeedFan as it wasn't doing the trick, and I thought that Q-Fan control in the BIOS would be sufficient in controlling the fans. Now, when I change any settings in the BIOS relating to the fans (changing curves etc), there is absolutely no effect on their RPM. The pump appears to operate at near full, if not full RPM all the time, and the fans never seem to go above 500-700RPM, even if the system heats up to 60-70 degrees. I tried restoring the BIOS settings to default, which didn't seem to change anything. I have no idea what to do, and there aren't really any other fan headers to test with apart from CPU_OPT which isn't much help.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Case Design | CAD | Custom Watercooling Parts | Loop Design | Cable Sleeving and Management 

Fittings Guide  |  Most recent completed build: Glass & Aluminium  |  Current build(s): Project Starscream

Try first without those diy cables. If issues persist, we can see if SpeedFan or maybe BIOS is issue. Is BIOS updated to latest? Did you remember to set CPU warning temp in SpeedFan correctly (desired temp setting). SpeedFan might also not be fully supported on your system.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Try first without those diy cables. If issues persist, we can see if SpeedFan or maybe BIOS is issue. Is BIOS updated to latest? Did you remember to set CPU warning temp in SpeedFan correctly (desired temp setting). SpeedFan might also not be fully supported on your system.

Thanks for your reply. I'll update the BIOS and run some tests using stock cables, although I did check my cables and the pinout is correct. I would assume it must have something to do with the BIOS, because even on first boot the fans and pump were acting very strange. CPU warning temp was all set to 70. I uninstalled SpeedFan. At this stage I'd be happy for the motherboard to do its own thing and ignore SpeedFan entirely. I probably won't be able to get back to you for a few days however, since this is a system I built for someone and I won't be back with it for a few days.

Case Design | CAD | Custom Watercooling Parts | Loop Design | Cable Sleeving and Management 

Fittings Guide  |  Most recent completed build: Glass & Aluminium  |  Current build(s): Project Starscream

4 hours ago, AperumDesign said:

Thanks for your reply. I'll update the BIOS and run some tests using stock cables, although I did check my cables and the pinout is correct. I would assume it must have something to do with the BIOS, because even on first boot the fans and pump were acting very strange. CPU warning temp was all set to 70. I uninstalled SpeedFan. At this stage I'd be happy for the motherboard to do its own thing and ignore SpeedFan entirely. I probably won't be able to get back to you for a few days however, since this is a system I built for someone and I won't be back with it for a few days.

If there isn't update available (aka you already have installed Meltdown/Spectre patch update), reset CMOS and try from clean table again.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv