Hard drive labeled as BZBZBZBZBZBZ

AmateurPCGuy

Hey, So I was watching Tek Syndicate (I watch that too, you know.) when my computer hang, thinking that it was another Windows lagging shit, I rebooted. Instead of opening through Windows, my Windows Boot Manager showed me an I/O error with a code on it (which I forgot).I tried reinsatalling my Windows (both 7 and 8) on it only to find out that I cannot. After four hours of struggling, I gave up on the Windws installers and entered the BIOS. Then I finally realized the problem. Instead of showing the drive's name, it shows the drive as "BZBZBZBZBZBZBZBZ". So my problem is: Is there any way for me to fix the drive? and how? For those who are asking for my specs, I have: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @1.86 Ghz Gigabye P35-DS3L revision 2 GeForce 7300GT 200 GB Western Digital Drive with 2 partitions (100GB for Windows, 86GB for storage, this is also the partition I must save, for all of my important data are there.)

IIRC you can change the label using the label command but I don't think this will help. Windows doesn't use the filesystem label to boot, it'll use the partition's ID or maybe the filesystem's ID. Since the label is on the filesystem, not the partition or the drive as many people believe, it may indicate filesystem corruption. Your best bet is to try and access it on oanother computer, if you haven't yet.

I don't know how to fix that problem, but for securing your data: you can make a bootable USB drive with Ubuntu. Boot off of that and if the HDD still lives, you should be able to access and backup your data on it to an external drive or something similar. From that point, you can either try fixing the problem or buy a new HDD.