Premiere Pro plugin for .mkv files?

Go to solution Solved by wyattzx,

Some will recommend you install the K-Lite Codec Pack. DO NOT DO THIS. This has been known to cause issues with the Adobe Suite, such as crashes, slowdowns and other issues. The only solution is to reinstall Windows.

Simply transcode them with Handrbake as you mentioned, and transcode them back as necessary.

So I have a bit of an unusual Problem:
I got some files from a cutsomer which I want to edit slightly in Adobe Premiere Pro (CC 2018). But my problem is that the files I got are on an .mkv container and Adobe Premiere does NOT support mkv. 
The customer has only these files so just requesting another format is not an option.
Is there any Plugin for Premiere to edit/import .mkv or do I have to convert every file with Handbrake?

Thanks for your help!

Main Rig

Spoiler

CPU - i7 6700 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill, 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial OEM | GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming | PSU - Cooler Master G450M | Storage - 1x 256GB Samsung SM951 (NVMe)(System), 2x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO (Striped) | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 (with TG side Panel) | OS - Windows 10 Pro

NAS / Docker Host

Spoiler

CPU - Xeon E3-1220v3 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston ECC | PSU - Enermax Revolution SFX 550W | Storage - 3x 4TB WD Red, 1x 2TB WD Red, 4x 3TB Seagate Constellation, 2x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO (Cache) | Case - AVID Unity Media Engine (3U Rackmount) | OS - UnRAID OS Pro

VM Host

Spoiler

CPU - Xeon E3-1246v3 | RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) Samsung ECC | PSU - Enermax Revolution SFX 550W | Storage - 2x 512GB Samsung 860 Pro (System / "Fast" VM's), 4x 500GB HGST (RAID 10) | Case - Avid Unity MediArray XT (3U Rackmount) | OS - Windows Server 2019 Datacenter

Notebooks

Spoiler

Fujitsu Lifebook E756CPU - i5 6200U | RAM - 8GB DDR4 OEM | GPU - Intel HD 520  | Storage - 250GB Crucial MX500 | OS - Windows 10 Pro

Apple MacBook Pro Mid 2015 | CPU - i7 4770HQ | RAM - 16GB | GPU - Intel Iris Pro | Storage - 512GB Toshiba XG4 NVMe | OS - macOS 10.15.1

Some will recommend you install the K-Lite Codec Pack. DO NOT DO THIS. This has been known to cause issues with the Adobe Suite, such as crashes, slowdowns and other issues. The only solution is to reinstall Windows.

Simply transcode them with Handrbake as you mentioned, and transcode them back as necessary.

29 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

Welp, that is also what I am doing. I am also frustrated by Premiere not supporting FLAC.

You shouldn't need to transcode.  You should be able to remux the video and audio streams to an mp4 container. AVIDEMUX should be able to do this

3 hours ago, Black Ops said:

You shouldn't need to transcode.  You should be able to remux the video and audio streams to an mp4 container. AVIDEMUX should be able to do this

If the codec within the mkv container is supported by mp4 and premiere.

Another option is ffmpeg

I am currently working on a prototype of this. It would decode any ffmpeg supported codec directly in premiere. But it's not ready yet.