13 GPUs in ONE PC? – Mining Adventure Part 2

1 hour ago, emk said:

Can NiceHash be trusted anymore?

Also, where do you buy your Titan XPs? Amazon?

Well considering NiceHash is operating their business in a non-profit capacity until the ~$70 million in BTC is repaid to everyone I would say that is all the more reason to trust them.  They could have easily told everyone to pound sand and it was an obvious risk they took when using the service, but they are obviously more interested in building trust among their customers.

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

Nvidia directly and Nicehash was never the issue with mining it was they got the bitcoin stolen which if you use internal wallet and coinbase you don't have to leave it on Nicehash for long.

That all depends on your hashing power.  Since there are minimum withdraw amounts people with less hashing power are going to have to leave their money there much longer in order to meet those minimums.

1 hour ago, EtherSnake said:

Avoid using SATA adaptors to power the risers, the SATA cables support less amperage than what the GPU can drain from the PCIe and the cables can melt or even catch fire!

Indeed. 

The cards are allowed to take up to 5.5A from the slot (12v x 5.5A = ~ 65w + 10w from 3.3v, so 75w in total)

The SATA connector is rated for 1.5A per contact, and there's 3 contacts for each voltage (12v , 5v and 3.3v) but only the 12v contacts are used by these sata to pci-e 6pin adapters, so you only have a maximum theoretical 12v x 4.5A = ~ 54w ... so you're overheating the sata connector, which is not so well designed in the first place (friction lock, easy to have big contact resistance etc)

The risers which pci-e connectors on them allow you to use adapters that convert 2 molex (old hdd) to pci-e 6 pin connector, which means you energy coming in from two molex connectors.

The molex connector according to standards is rated for 5A, so even one single molex connector could in theory do 60 watts, but if you split the load across two molex connectors, you have up to around 120 watts which is easily more than 65-75w that the video card will ever try to take from the pci-e slot.

It's important to also keep in mind that each string of molex or sata connectors that comes from the power supply is limited in how much power it can give to those molex or sata connectors by two things : the amount of current the single AWG18 or AWG16 wire can safely transfer, and the current rating of the connector on the power supply, if the power supply is modular.

The wire is not an issue in general, AWG18 can do around 10-13A (around 100-150w) before you risk having the insulation on the wire melt (at 100w going through the wire, the wire will probably be around 60 degrees Celsius warm.

AWG 16 is thicker and could probably do up to around 200 watts.

However, if the power supply is modular and it uses the classic connectors similar to pci-e and eps connectors, then the strip of connectors will be limited by the current rating of the actual contact in the connector for the 12v wire.

For Mini-Fit, the current rating is 9A ... so in theory, the strip of connectors can provide only up to around 100 watts to all devices on the strip.

So if you want to use risers and use molex to pci-e adapters my advice would be to do something like this:

psu  -- strip 1 of molex connectors ---- [ Connector 1 - to Adapter 1 molex 1 ] ----- [ Connector 2 - to Adapter 2 molex 1 ]  --- [ Connector 3 - unused ] ---- [ ... ]

psu  -- strip 2 of molex connectors -- [ Connector 1 - to Adapter 1 molex 2 ] ---- [ Connector 2 - to Adapter 2 molex 2 ] --- [ Connector 3 - unused ] ----- [....]

This way, if each riser pulls 50-60 watts, each adapter cable will take half of that from each strip and you have some redundancy ... if for some reason one of the strips break, the other strip could still power the two video cards while potentially being a bit overloaded.

48 minutes ago, noremac13 said:

Well considering NiceHash is operating their business in a non-profit capacity until the ~$70 million in BTC is repaid to everyone I would say that is all the more reason to trust them.  They could have easily told everyone to pound sand and it was an obvious risk they took when using the service, but they are obviously more interested in building trust among their customers.

That all depends on your hashing power.  Since there are minimum withdraw amounts people with less hashing power are going to have to leave their money there much longer in order to meet those minimums.

I doubt I'll see my money back from them but it's only a day or so's worth of mining so I dont really care...

I'm only using them again because Vert went to hell and too lazy to do anything about it. As for hash power and payouts, I could get paid when I reach $13USD but I'll prob draw weekly instead of every 3 days. The minimums are not really the issue, it's the bitcoin fees that are the real killer... They could actually save a ton of money if they used altcoins like Doge, easy access cheap and low fees, and is fairly well known, should be accessible in many exchanges too.

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I doubt I'll see my money back from them but it's only a day or so's worth of mining so I dont really care...

I'm only using them again because Vert went to hell and too lazy to do anything about it. As for hash power and payouts, I could get paid when I reach $13USD but I'll prob draw weekly instead of every 3 days. The minimums are not really the issue, it's the bitcoin fees that are the real killer... They could actually save a ton of money if they used altcoins like Doge, easy access cheap and low fees, and is fairly well known, should be accessible in many exchanges too.

Huh? They just paid back everyone who had deposited money to rent hashing power, and now they are in the process of paying out people who had balances in their wallets or built up mining revenue that they lost.  They have detailed statements on their site explaining everything.

3 hours ago, noremac13 said:

well even the SMALL SMALL users, like say someone with a 970 (as I helped a guy get up and running on Nicehash last night who had one) can pull 2 bucks a day maybe more with that and if they use there CPU can get like another dollar a day (getting more then a 1.50 a day at stock clocks on the Ryzen 5 1600 I JUST got up and running an hour ago after only doing the MemLock thing with RK Tools and tweaking the cores used for mining, haven't even OC'd yet, I'll save that for later). the 6700k in my other system is doing 75 cents to a dollar a day so anyone with a half decent CPU and even something as "entry level" by todays standards as a 970 would earn enough to the internal wallet to get the unpaid balance out to the wallet in about 5 days and enough to get out to Nicehash in about 10 maybe 11 days, thats not really all that long in the grand scheme and even if something where to happen again we are talking less then 30 dollars, sure it would suck to lose, but if 30 dollars breaks the bank then you have bigger issues.

6 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

well even the SMALL SMALL users, like say someone with a 970 (as I helped a guy get up and running on Nicehash last night who had one) can pull 2 bucks a day maybe more with that and if they use there CPU can get like another dollar a day (getting more then a 1.50 a day at stock clocks on the Ryzen 5 1600 I JUST got up and running an hour ago after only doing the MemLock thing with RK Tools and tweaking the cores used for mining, haven't even OC'd yet, I'll save that for later). the 6700k in my other system is doing 75 cents to a dollar a day so anyone with a half decent CPU and even something as "entry level" by todays standards as a 970 would earn enough to the internal wallet to get the unpaid balance out to the wallet in about 5 days and enough to get out to Nicehash in about 10 maybe 11 days, thats not really all that long in the grand scheme and even if something where to happen again we are talking less then 30 dollars, sure it would suck to lose, but if 30 dollars breaks the bank then you have bigger issues.

Sure but I also think small users also aren't mining 24/7 since they likely are using their main PC idle time to do it.  I have a 1060 in my PC and I just have it mine overnight when I am sleeping or if I am going out for a few hours and when need the PC to work I need to turn it off since it makes the PC run sluggish.  It would take me around a week to reach the minimum payout of 0.001 but the problem was the fees to withdraw were 0.0005 so essentially 50% fee.  Each consecutive week I mined without withdrawing would reduce the fee so after 2 weeks it would be only 25%, 3 weeks 17%, 1 month 12.5%, etc. so I left the balance in there to lessen the impact of the fees.  Now it seems like you get free withdraws to Coinbase (which wasn't around before the hack) with a 0.002 minimum which seems much more reasonable.

Yes it is an insignificant amount of money but you are losing everything you mined + having to pay out of your own pocket now for the added electrical costs, and putting extra wear and tear on your hardware for ultimately no good reason.

10 hours ago, markuess said:

I've been mining Bitcoin a bit 2 years ago, but gave up due to the issues I had to actually convert my BC into CASH. Have things gotten a little easier until now? Got a supercooled OC'd Ryzen 7 with a GTX 1080 sitting idle 18h / day anyway.

What's the most simple yet profitable way to mine on my machine, simple setup, simple cashout?

There are several services that do everything for you, it's simple as installing 50mb program and pressing start. You gonna need several registrations on several sites but that's about it, nicehash was pretty popular until they had security issues and people stopped trusting them, right now I'm trying kryptex which is mostly targeted for eastern europe with it's no fee cashout in rubles, but you can also cashout in bitcoins on your bitcoin wallet (0.0005 fee is still applicable) and then lets say sell them on coinbase or other site, withdraw funds to your bank account. I would suggest for you to google about policy on bitcoin mining in your country, it may\or not be considered a profit and should be taxed (if you not gonna do it you might be in problem).

6 minutes ago, noremac13 said:

Sure but I also think small users also aren't mining 24/7 since they likely are using their main PC idle time to do it.  I have a 1060 in my PC and I just have it mine overnight when I am sleeping or if I am going out for a few hours and when need the PC to work I need to turn it off since it makes the PC run sluggish.  It would take me around a week to reach the minimum payout of 0.001 but the problem was the fees to withdraw were 0.0005 so essentially 50% fee.  Each consecutive week I mined without withdrawing would reduce the fee so after 2 weeks it would be only 25%, 3 weeks 17%, 1 month 12.5%, etc. so I left the balance in there to lessen the impact of the fees.  Now it seems like you get free withdraws to Coinbase (which wasn't around before the hack) with a 0.002 minimum which seems much more reasonable.

Yes it is an insignificant amount of money but you are losing everything you mined + having to pay out of your own pocket now for the added electrical costs, and putting extra wear and tear on your hardware for ultimately no good reason.

yeah, thats the whole reason I had any balance on there prior to the hack, I wanted to minimize the fees, the addition of Coinbase drastically altered how I use Nicehash, I no longer have to wait months before withdrawing so I don't lose so much to the fees, coinbase definitely made it better and more smaller miner friendly which greatly reduced the concerns with going back to the internal wallet, not sure I would be on Nicehash without it.

I used to mine crypto currency 3-4 years back and I was thinking about getting back into it. Then earlier today I saw linus uploaded a part 2 video on a new mining setup and I was wondering what the price tag on that monster was. Obviously it would take two, three, or even four more months to save up enough money for a rig of this scale but I believe its worth it.

well with current GPU prices, expect to pay between 800-1000 USD per card at a minimum for the cards he used... so you could be looking at anywhere from 10,000-15,000$ most likely. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

20 minutes ago, mike.ryan said:

I used to mine crypto currency 3-4 years back and I was thinking about getting back into it. Then earlier today I saw linus uploaded a part 2 video on a new mining setup and I was wondering what the price tag on that monster was. Obviously it would take two, three, or even four more months to save up enough money for a rig of this scale but I believe its worth it.

Building a setup of this scale really depends on if you can even find cards at all, nevermind even near msrp. Remember roi also depends on the price of the currencies you are mining at both the time you are mining them and the time you are selling. It varies massively hour to hour. Electricity also is a huge factor. If its too expensive you will make very little profit and it won't be worth it. Last bit of advice is buy cards right as they are coming out as generally that will be when the price is lowest and at or near msrp.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

How much money do you actually earn if you only have a single rig minmium 2-3 gpu setup mining erthrum or equivalent currency.

Because it really cant be worth it at these prices for the single machine setup unless you live in south america/china/germany

Where power cost are very minimal?

Thanks Linus for helping to contribute to soaring gpu prices and then the eventual flood of used dogged out gpu's in the future.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

17 hours ago, noremac13 said:

Huh? They just paid back everyone who had deposited money to rent hashing power, and now they are in the process of paying out people who had balances in their wallets or built up mining revenue that they lost.  They have detailed statements on their site explaining everything.

I'll believe it when I see it... Miners will mine, but w/o sellers they have no business, so it is in their best interest to hand the money back to the buyer. I keep a close eye on my payouts and work, so if it does happen I will know.

Odd I didn't see it upon my first login... but the fact they have written off anything below 0.0001 kinda sucks but not really based on money value... My old amount apparently was 0.00036012 Or about $4USD (I literally pulled out days before).

16 hours ago, Ddarlington36 said:

How much money do you actually earn if you only have a single rig minmium 2-3 gpu setup mining erthrum or equivalent currency.

Because it really cant be worth it at these prices for the single machine setup unless you live in south america/china/germany

Where power cost are very minimal?

I pull in about $4-5 USD less costs, costs here with fees are about $.15 (max) per KwH, my computer is consuming a total of 370~ Watts/h, so per 24 hours my costs are $1.33 CAD or $1.07 USD. Break even time per GPU (assuming using personal computer you already have, and using my GPU which is a 1070) at current market value is 360 Days on the low, but the likelihood of a miner buying at that price for a simple 1070 is very unlikely, breakeven time for proper pricing is half of that which is more likely the price one who mines will pay.

My current payout is rated at $3.43 USD per day, but usually jumps up at night when european contracts hit, I'm guessing due to pricing differences. 

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

For those considering starting to mine after seeing the LTT video

I'd like to point on one small error in that video, some of linus's videos could be made upwards to 1 month beforehand, for example this video (this topics video) could of been done at the beginning of Dec, editing cuts retakes encoding etc, then possibly simply bad algorithm timing with sponsored stuff.

Want a more current (profitable) miner? $400 computer $900 cards (6 cards).

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Egg-Roll/saved/wLBd6h

Cards to use: 1050 1050Ti RX 550 (4GB) They all provide roughly the same income, rather easy to find too at retail. Should be noted getting the 1050 Ti might be more expensive but brings in about $10-15 more a month.

https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator/amd-rx-550-4gb?e=0.12&currency=USD

Will give about $180 USD per month ROI 7.5 months assuming no increases or drops and you have to build a new computer (costs are at $0.12 KwH), I call bull on the trend of a coin crash tho, the chinese are still panicking, forcing the world to panic, once they move to Canada It should go back to normal...

It's cheap easy to manage and your best bet to actually turn a profit w/o fearing insane prices...

29 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I'd like to point on one small error in that video, some of linus's videos could be made upwards to 1 month beforehand, for example this video (this topics video) could of been done at the beginning of Dec, editing cuts retakes encoding etc, then possibly simply bad algorithm timing with sponsored stuff.

Oh yeah, absolutely.  A month is no exception with such projects, especially if CES (aka yawnfest 2018) also messes up the schedule.  That's a lifetime in the crypto market.  Videos like this need to be shot, edited and uploaded to YT in a matter of days, not weeks. 

Hell, do the build over 3 months all you like, Linus, but the numbers need to be as up-to-date as possible because when it comes to crypto today's numbers will be obsolete this time next week.

2 minutes ago, NotWilliam717 said:

Can you list the graphics card used in the video 

Not trying to get wide but did he not say the cards he was using in the video???

No like what type and how much like 

Ex.

1080 ti 3 of them 

Edited by NotWilliam717

On 1/21/2018 at 1:53 AM, Ginger137 said:

Did you watch the video? thats straight up $500 plus every month after 5 months. Plus, all that free hardware which can be can be kept or sold for even more profit. I would hardly say thats a waste of time

Is 5 months the exact ROI time for that system with 500$ a month? (I'm talking about the mining adventure part 2 video btw)

54 minutes ago, GaiusPhalanx said:

Is 5 months the exact ROI time for that system with 500$ a month? (I'm talking about the mining adventure part 2 video btw)

At the time they filmed it was, that profitability has dropped quite a bit though as bitcoin is now worth less than half of what it was in December and the increasing difficulty of mining. If bitcoins price takes a turn back up it'll probably return to around $500 a month and a 5 month roi

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

17 hours ago, Ginger137 said:

At the time they filmed it was, that profitability has dropped quite a bit though as bitcoin is now worth less than half of what it was in December and the increasing difficulty of mining. If bitcoins price takes a turn back up it'll probably return to around $500 a month and a 5 month roi

What about something like monero?