Doubling your USB/SD card capacity absurdity

Hiya!

So i just finished my class.

And i was in the canteen where one of my college friend told me that there's this thing called SDATA Tools that can double your flash drive or sd card capacity.

And he told me how it work,He said that every storages has its own dedicated space to keep the deleted data so u can restore it and by using SDATA tools u are basically able to use said extra space to save your data.

I was going to explain to him and tell him on why he's wrong cause it didnt work that way but i dont want to hurt his feelings as he's older than me (8 years older) and where would he put his pride if he received a tech advices from a woman that is much younger in public? cause his friends are with him and there are a lots of them.

So i just say yes all the time and said ok i'll try it.

I already asked him have u tried it? he said he has but his FDD is 32GB so now his FDD capacity is 64GB and he havent fully utilize all of those space not even maxing out his 32GB.

Of course i am sure this software wont work 100% :P I mean even if it does work, i am pretty sure u wont be able to fill up your FDD beyond your original capacity.

Has anyone tried this software? i would liked to but i dont have any Flash drive in hand. i only has my SD card that is in my phone and i cant format it.

Here's the link

https://solidsoftwaretools.com/sdata-tool

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

3 minutes ago, CryptoMatt said:

i bet it just makes the drive show more space but then it just writes over the old data as you pass the max of your drive. 

Can u test it? if u dont mind :P

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Can u test it? if u dont mind :P

i mean i could but its almost 5am and i need to go to sleep, if no one does by the time im awake i will 

5 minutes ago, CryptoMatt said:

i mean i could but its almost 5am and i need to go to sleep, if no one does by the time im awake i will 

Thats very kind of you xD

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

All drives have hidden storage that is only there to use as spare for when sectors start getting damaged. This is also the same with SSDs to prolong their life but not all flash does this. When a file is deleted, its entry is removed but the data is still there. If you have not written to the drive you will be able to recover it but if you use the drive after deleting a file, high chance it will be overriden.

No writing happens during or after delete. the files are not moved and said files get written over like they werent there.

19 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

I was going to explain to him and tell him on why he's wrong cause it didnt work that way but i dont want to hurt his feelings as he's older than me (8 years older) and where would he put his pride if he received a tech advices from a woman that is much younger in public? cause his friends are with him and there are a lots of them.

That's the wrong way, have no mercy and don't let absolute shit spread. This software does one of two things: either it just tricks Windows into thinking it's a larger storage medium than it is, or it's able to unlock the sectors there to spread the wear. You really do not want either of those in most cases, the first will see you off with corruption and the second will make it wear out much much faster. This should have absolutely 0 effect on HDD drives if ut does the second btw

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, System Error Message said:

All drives have hidden storage that is only there to use as spare for when sectors start getting damaged. This is also the same with SSDs to prolong their life but not all flash does this. When a file is deleted, its entry is removed but the data is still there. If you have not written to the drive you will be able to recover it but if you use the drive after deleting a file, high chance it will be overriden.

No writing happens during or after delete. the files are not moved and said files get written over like they werent there.

Its true for HDD but not for SSD.

SSD will do garbage collecting so unlike mechanical HDD that can overwrite your data at anytime SSD use nand flash in which the data must be deleted in order to write another data.

Although i am not sure if there's a hidden storage thingy cause i never heard someone mentioned it except that friend of mine and you.

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

That's the wrong way, have no mercy and don't let absolute shit spread. This software does one of two things: either it just tricks Windows into thinking it's a larger storage medium than it is, or it's able to unlock the sectors there to spread the wear. You really do not want either of those in most cases, the first will see you off with corruption and the second will make it wear out much much faster. This should have absolutely 0 effect on HDD drives if ut does the second btw

Ehhh i am not u know the offensive hair triggered type :P

So i'll just let it slide today but i will tell him tomorrow for sure cause that its my intention but only if i have tested it even though i am sure it wont work 100% but hey.

Uhuh yep thats why its only for SD card or FDD.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just now, Hiya! said:

Ehhh i am not u know the offensive hair triggered type :P

So i'll just let it slide today but i will tell him tomorrow for sure cause that its my intention but only if i have tested it even though i am sure it wont work 100% but hey.

Uhuh yep thats why its only for SD card or FDD.

Whenever I hear someone sprouting about tech crap I WILL tell them exactly why they are wrong in as much detail as I can until they back off spreading their shit. Spreading shit around those that don't know better is something I can't stand tbh. Anyway it will probably give you more actual writable space I'm guessing, and cut the lifetime by a crap load and potentially also hurt performance

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Its true for HDD but not for SSD.

SSD will do garbage collecting so unlike mechanical HDD that can overwrite your data at anytime SSD use nand flash in which the data must be deleted in order to write another data.

Although i am not sure if there's a hidden storage thingy cause i never heard someone mentioned it except that friend of mine and you.

SSDs do have hidden space, thats why you get 200GB ratings rather than 256GB for instance as that 56GB is spare to replace the worn out flash. All these spare sectors dont get used to keep deleted files, deleted files just stay where they are till they get overwritten.

You cannot however get double the amount of space and writing data to the drive to change its capacity 100% will lead to data loss after the rated amount of space has been used. For instance, in that 200GB SSD with 56GB spare, after 200GB of space is used even if you make it seem like it has 400GB of space, it will just either lose the data or rewrite over existing data. That spare space is only allocated by the firmware of the drive and the OS cant do a thing about it. Though overwriting the firmware will lead to data loss for sure.

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Whenever I hear someone sprouting about tech crap I WILL tell them exactly why they are wrong in as much detail as I can until they back off spreading their shit. Spreading shit around those that don't know better is something I can't stand tbh. Anyway it will probably give you more actual writable space I'm guessing, and cut the lifetime by a crap load and potentially also hurt performance

Okay okay calm down :P

The truth will be told in the end after all

Oh i doubt that i am guessing that it only trick the windows into thinking that it has doubled the capacity but u wont be able to use more than your original space

9 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

SSDs do have hidden space, thats why you get 200GB ratings rather than 256GB for instance as that 56GB is spare to replace the worn out flash. All these spare sectors dont get used to keep deleted files, deleted files just stay where they are till they get overwritten.

Oh that is for over-provisioning but i dont think it would take up that much space.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

this week i took some read-only usb sticks from dell and flashed the controller firmware to make them R/W again.

and those utilities will totally let you say the 8GB flash drive is 24 TB in size, thats what the chinese "1TB usb stick for $1.99" folks do. the drive will work, it'll show as the size you set it to, but once you write past the *actually existant* part of that drive, things start to get quite interesting :P

20 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

You cannot however get double the amount of space and writing data to the drive to change its capacity 100% will lead to data loss after the rated amount of space has been used. For instance, in that 200GB SSD with 56GB spare, after 200GB of space is used even if you make it seem like it has 400GB of space, it will just either lose the data or rewrite over existing data. That spare space is only allocated by the firmware of the drive and the OS cant do a thing about it. Though overwriting the firmware will lead to data loss for sure.

Why u are explained all of that to me? :P

I said i knew how it work i just dont want to hurt my friend feelings.

Is it because the first comment?

Yes i knew the data will still be there it only delete the master files table and u'll be able to recover it if u havent write more data to it.

Its just i dont think HDD has hidden storage for it because its normal for a HDD capacities to have less size than advertised because Gigabyte is one billion bytes and our computer read 1GB as 1024MB but manufacturer use 1000 for obvious reason of course.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

this week i took some read-only usb sticks from dell and flashed the controller firmware to make them R/W again.

Wow how did u do that?

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

and those utilities will totally let you say the 8GB flash drive is 24 TB in size, thats what the chinese "1TB usb stick for $1.99" folks do. the drive will work, it'll show as the size you set it to, but once you write past the *actually existant* part of that drive, things start to get quite interesting :P

That is my first thoughts tbh :P

Data corruption might occur or the drive just stopped working immediately or it could blow up hell idk :P

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just now, Hiya! said:

Wow how did u do that?

- open up the case either by using your brains or brute force

- read the model number of the controller

- find a tool that can flash that model of controller, and suitable firmware

- flash the controller

- profit.

Just now, manikyath said:

- open up the case either by using your brains or brute force

- read the model number of the controller

- find a tool that can flash that model of controller, and suitable firmware

- flash the controller

- profit.

Sounds pretty simple except that u have to find the tool for it.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

36 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Aren't there like megabyte-sized thumb drives being sold masquerading as gigabyte-size thumb drives on the hardware end by having the controller overwrite the space repeatedly? o_o

Not that i am aware of but if its true then u should blame the chinese :P

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

UPDATE :

@CryptoMatt @manikyath @Bananasplit_00

So i've tried it using an 8GB FDD that i borrowed from a friend :ph34r:

The software did work and managed to doubled the capacity but...when i max out the original capacity the transfer speed is drasticly dropped to 0Kbps.

So i waited for like 15min and then it goes back up. and i am like oh my god?

The files is transfered but when i open it.

U guess it, Data corrupted.

So i checked for other data as well and whole data is corrupted.

So i repeat the process and the same thing happened again although this time the FDD just stopped working no matter how long i waited the explorer just wont respond and when i yank the FDD the files is there but its corrupted...again.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

3 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

UPDATE :

The software did work and managed to doubled the capacity but...when i max out the original capacity the transfer speed is drasticly dropped to 0Kbps.

So i repeat the process and the same thing happened again although this time the FDD just stopped working no matter how long i waited the explorer just wont respond and when i yank the FDD the files is there but its corrupted...again.

Yah, because all that software did was to tell the OS that the flash drive is bigger than it is, basically it's complete BS

Builds:

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

UPDATE :

Yup it was probably just rewriting data over data 

I'm annoyed that people in this thread are using 'FDD' to refer to things that are not 'Floppy Disc Drives'...