Is It Even Possible to Build Cheap Anymore?

RAM555789

Is even possible to build a decent budget build anymore. I remember a couple of years ago before crypto got big and GPU along with DDR4 prices inflated, so is budget PC builds even a thing anymore?

Used hardware from maybe 3-4 years ago is probably the cheapest one could get. It's still a viable option for gaming as well, a 3770K, 16Gb DDR3, and maybe a 780/780Ti would still make a pretty decent gaming rig.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Yeah, It is possible. What I did for my little brother to get him started on his own builds is that we bought used parts. Most of it was used except the PSU and Case. He upgrades with new and better parts after Christmas and after his birthday and he actually has a Very good build. He just had to work his way up to it.

I just upgraded mine to Ryzen, So i Went from DDR3 to DDR4 and it cost me $500 just for the Ram, Motherboard, CPU, and SSD. So i think the days of NEW < $500 Budget builds are coming to an end.

New systems,s I'd probably advise getting your CPU/MOTHERBOARD first and then just buying a GPU down the line.

AMD have some pretty capable APUs coming out, by the look of it.

(Assuming it's just a ryzen 3 1200 with a bit higher clock/gpu stapled onto it)

Used GTX 900 series are cheap in Toronto area, same with 4790K motherboard combos

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

build cheap, not so much, end up cheap in the long run heck yeah, my 6700k is earning about 90 cents to a dollar a day (costs an extra 9 cents a day in power, so profiting over 80 cents) and my GPU's are churning out the crypto, properly tuned ANY new PC with a GPU will pay for itself inside the year even at the crazy prices GPU's are right now.

9 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Is even possible to build a decent budget build anymore. I remember a couple of years ago before crypto got big and GPU along with DDR4 prices inflated, so is budget PC builds even a thing anymore?

With used parts or with the upcoming Ryzen with iGPU (though the iGPU at best is RX 460-level).

But yes this is about the worst time to build a PC for anyone :(

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

build cheap, not so much, end up cheap in the long run heck yeah, my 6700k is earning about 90 cents to a dollar a day (costs an extra 9 cents a day in power, so profiting over 80 cents) and my GPU's are churning out the crypto, properly tuned ANY new PC with a GPU will pay for itself inside the year even at the crazy prices GPU's are right now.

I've noticed old dell IVY bridge computers seem to be going for around $100. They can easily be upgraded with a GTX 1050/1060 if you're willing to swap out the PSU.

Using one currently as a stand-by computer and would honestly suggest one.

16 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

It is more difficult, I'll give it that, but I think where there's a will, there's a way. It does alter the value perception of some things.

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

With used parts or with the upcoming Ryzen with iGPU (though the iGPU at best is RX 460-level).

I think the Intel-RTG combo CPU is interesting for a mainstream gaming system. And because each GPU part is attached to an Intel CPU part, you can be sure the miners wont touch it as ROI will take forever.

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

But yes this is about the worst time to build a PC for anyone :(

While no reasonable person likes spending more than they have to, I don't think it really impacts high end system builders. A few hundred local currency units here or there isn't going to be felt as much as on a budget build. Xps are still available from nvidia it seems, at the same price they have been.

9 minutes ago, rtpb5642 said:

Used GTX 900 series are cheap in Toronto area, same with 4790K motherboard combos

Was only looking recently, typical used 980Ti is about 2/3 the cost of a new 1070 if you can find one, and they're about same performance level.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, ExplosiveSloths said:

I've noticed old dell IVY bridge computers seem to be going for around $100. They can easily be upgraded with a GTX 1050/1060 if you're willing to swap out the PSU.

Using one currently as a stand-by computer and would honestly suggest one.

all i'm saying is if you can "invest" it's worth it to do so, I just bought 2 new GPU's this week (Titan Xp Gallactic Empire Editions, they where cheaper then the 1080ti's and had basically the same ROI as the 1070 inflated prices) and have a new PSU coming today and will probably run down to Microcenter tomorrow for the motherboard and CPU for the second tower, once the second PC is up and running I'll be pulling 900 bucks a month at the current BTC value which will easily cover the cost of ALL the components in both computers (even the first one that wasn't planned to mine with) within 6 months even when factoring in power costs and at the end of the day I'll have 2 awesome computers and can set my Mom up with one of the towers once Mining is no longer profitable, she's still using a decade old Dell desktop running Vista.

It all depends on your definition of cheap/budget and decent.  By my definition, which is locked into how things used to be, the answer is no.  GPUs, RAM, and SSDs are all more expensive than they should be, and at least in Canada, the currency makes everything even worse.  We haven't been able to get a good deal in over 3 years now but it's been even worse lately for the same reasons as everyone else.  Perhaps one day we will return a situation where everything is around the cheapest it ever was, but I'm starting to think that's more of an unlikely fluke that we'd be lucky to get rather than a norm we should expect to return to.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

all i'm saying is if you can "invest" it's worth it to do so, I just bought 2 new GPU's this week (Titan Xp Gallactic Empire Editions) and have a new PSU coming today and will probably run down to Microcenter tomorrow for the motherboard and CPU for the second tower, once the second PC is up and running I'll be pulling 900 bucks a month at the current BTC value which will easily cover the cost of ALL the components in both computers (even the first one that wasn't planned to mine with) within 6 months even when factoring in power costs and at the end of the day I'll have 2 awesome computers and can set my Mom up with one of the towers once Mining is no longer profitable, she's still using a decade old Dell desktop running Vista.

I'd call it more "gambling" than anything else for crypto-mining but it's definitely worth a try if you already have the hardware.

2 minutes ago, ExplosiveSloths said:

I'd call it more "gambling" than anything else for crypto-mining but it's definitely worth a try if you already have the hardware.

I've made the better part of 3-400 USD since Christmas and the 2 Titan Xp are doubling that rate, as long as you cash out and don't let it ride you aren't really gambling and since the Titans are officially Licensed Star Wars Collectibles they will have a better long term value then most PC hardware, they also look sick AF.

6 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

I've made the better part of 3-400 USD since Christmas and the 2 Titan Xp are doubling that rate, as long as you cash out and don't let it ride you aren't really gambling and since the Titans are officially Licensed Star Wars Collectibles they will have a better long term value then most PC hardware, they also look sick AF.

Yes and no. What you've already made is safe, but any calculation involving "pay for the system in X months" is in fact a bet on future prices of what you'll be mining.

The new ryzen APUS should be in the 100-200 price range making them good for extreme budget builds under 500. depends what you think budget is. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

Yup. Product lines like Corsair's Value Select hasn't gone up in price that much, overstock of cards that are only a gen or two old can be found in local shops.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, RAM555789 said:

Is even possible to build a decent budget build anymore.

Yup very easy to build a pc on a budget. You just gotta spend lots and lots of time looking for a good deal.

What is your time worth to you?

Mine is worth a minimum of $35/hour and it better be gravy train with no breaking a sweat.

Once I have to break a sweat the price goes up and up and up!

2 minutes ago, porina said:

I think the Intel-RTG combo CPU is interesting for a mainstream gaming system. And because each GPU part is attached to an Intel CPU part, you can be sure the miners wont touch it as ROI will take forever.

I thought though, that the Intel + Vega chip was a mobile only part. They've only ever shown BGA Packages in this config

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

and since the Titans are officially Licensed Star Wars Collectibles they will have a better long term value then most PC hardware, they also look sick AF.

Take good care of them though, like don't OC to mine maybe even give them aftermaket coolers so the original fan doesn't age. You can later say that you've opened them for cleanup purposes only :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I thought though, that the Intel + Vega chip was a mobile only part. They've only ever shown BGA Packages in this config

It's not socketed if that's what you mean, but I don't see that as a barrier to it being put onto desktop mobos. Ok, no CPU upgrades, but unless they crippled its expansion capabilities... there's still 8x spare from the CPU for other stuff. That's a thought, did they say it needed a southbridge or is it fully integrated? I understood it to be a regular CPU not dissimilar to others they have already.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 minutes ago, porina said:

It's not socketed if that's what you mean, but I don't see that as a barrier to it being put onto desktop mobos. Ok, no CPU upgrades, but unless they crippled its expansion capabilities... there's still 8x spare from the CPU for other stuff. That's a thought, did they say it needed a southbridge or is it fully integrated? I understood it to be a regular CPU not dissimilar to others they have already.

Doesn't look like it's got its own Southbridge so you'd have to include that in motherboards.

What I see more likely is that this package is somehow put into an LGA1151 or 2066 PCB (depending on whether it fits into the 1151 socket). Then sold like that to consumers who shouldn't have to shop for special motherboards if they want the product.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

well yeah also this nan flash and gpu shortage won't last forever 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

51 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yup. Product lines like Corsair's Value Select hasn't gone up in price that much, overstock of cards that are only a gen or two old can be found in local shops.

"not that much" depends on your point of reference, I paid 80 USD for a 2x8GB kit of DDR 2400Mhz HyperX RAM, the Value Select is MORE then that for a single 8GB module

22 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Take good care of them though, like don't OC to mine maybe even give them aftermaket coolers so the original fan doesn't age. You can later say that you've opened them for cleanup purposes only :P

Are they not also going into some of the NUC's, I thought some of those NUC's Linus looked at at CES had that CPU in it, maybe I was wrong.

as for the Titans they are undervolted to 70% power limit running around 60-61c tops on the core and cooler everywhere I can hit with a laser thermometer, once they earn enough to pay for themselves the next thing they pay for is a liquid cooling loop to keep them super cool, honestly tho by the time it comes time to sell them as a collectible they will be a display piece, not something actually used, so keeping the display boxes safe is more important then keeping them running good and they will have long since earned there keep and paid for themselves by then.

23 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Are they not also going into some of the NUC's, I thought some of those NUC's Linus looked at at CES had that CPU in it, maybe I was wrong.

Yeah NUCs with this package might be as good as we get.

23 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

as for the Titans they are undervolted to 70% power limit running around 60-61c tops on the core and cooler everywhere I can hit with a laser thermometer, once they earn enough to pay for themselves the next thing they pay for is a liquid cooling loop to keep them super cool, honestly tho by the time it comes time to sell them as a collectible they will be a display piece, not something actually used, so keeping the display boxes safe is more important then keeping them running good and they will have long since earned there keep and paid for themselves by then.

Consider just slapping 2 accelero coolers instead of a whole loop since it's cheaper. Though if you wanna do it for the fun of making a loop, then go ahead.

In fact I wonder why not many people run all their mining cards on a liquid cooling loop. Maybe the risk of failure is too high what with them running 24/7. But I bet 2 420 or 3 360 rads is enough to cool 800W worth of mining cards.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Doesn't look like it's got its own Southbridge so you'd have to include that in motherboards.

What I see more likely is that this package is somehow put into an LGA1151 or 2066 PCB (depending on whether it fits into the 1151 socket). Then sold like that to consumers who shouldn't have to shop for special motherboards if they want the product.

Just looking it up again... given the size, I really can't see it fitting in a conventional 115x or even 2066 socket. While larger laptops or NUCs are the likely target market, I could see a place for the top end model with OC to go onto an ATX mobo. It'll probably come with a custom cooler included due to non-standard fittings. My basis for this selling is quite simply I think we over-estimate the degree of CPU upgrading here. It is only a tiny fraction of people who ever replace the CPU after a build. The CPU itself is a 4c8t i7 so will have decent enough kick for anything the GPU can cope with. The spare 8x PCIe lanes can go to a x16 slot on mobo for later GPU upgrade, which is far more likely than a CPU upgrade even if possible. Plus you can still have tons of other expansion like SATA, M.2, and even more PCIe lanes off southbridge... pricing will be key of course. It would have to be competitive against a comparable CPU, GPU, mobo and cooler.