copying software

Hey guys,

Long story short, I need to move software from one PC to another but I don't have the original installation discs for the software and due to it's size it's not available for download. I've had a look online but I can't figure out if there is a way to copy it from one machine to another by perhaps using an external HDD.

I don't see why it couldn't be done but I'm not sure (hence the question), can anyone help?

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666mhz memory

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 
2x 1tb WD Black HDD's (raid 0)

because you CAN'T, when you install a program it inserts a bunch of entries into your registry and those don't copy when you copy the folders for the software. well unless you can get every single entry from the registry and even then thats not a guarantee.

Each program is different, for example many games will run w/o any registry modifications whereas software like Photoshop likely won't due to registration etc.

If you can't find the original install disc you can always try copying said programs folder over to the other computer as long as it is "legal" to do so. Well no one here will stop you from breaking the law, but then you're on your own :P

25 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

because you CAN'T, when you install a program it inserts a bunch of entries into your registry and those don't copy when you copy the folders for the software. well unless you can get every single entry from the registry and even then thats not a guarantee.

3 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Each program is different, for example many games will run w/o any registry modifications whereas software like Photoshop likely won't due to registration etc.

If you can't find the original install disc you can always try copying said programs folder over to the other computer as long as it is "legal" to do so. Well no one here will stop you from breaking the law, but then you're on your own :P

I have the key for it but it's classed as legacy software and it's size NI (native instruments) don't do a download for it. I can get bits of it, as it's essentially a software package but not the bits I want. 

I have had a bit more of a google and found a piece of software suggesting that can do it but from what you and others have said I take it I should avoid that?

My first build;

AMD Ryzen 1700
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666mhz memory

EVGA GTX1070ti

2x 525gb MX300 SSD's 
2x 1tb WD Black HDD's (raid 0)

You can try with moving install directory and all side folders you can find. Some work, others don't.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv