[UPDATE] Man gets cyber crime charges for spamming twitch channels

ItsMitch

Story coming in from CBC and Kotaku and it's pretty fucking ridiculous

A Canadian man is facing federal charges after allegedly flooding over 1,000 Twitch channels with 150,000 spam messages early last year. The messages, which included racial and antisemitic slurs, spurred the British Columbian supreme court to issue a criminal charge for “mischief in relation to computer data” in early December, CBC reports. He could face up to ten years in prison.

In February and March 2017, 20-year-old Brandan Apple allegedly used the Twitch spam service ChatSurge to send offensive messages to Twitch streamers. ChatSurge purports to “flood, destroy or simply demolish any Twitch.tv chatroom,” a tutorial video explains.

After the attack, Twitch filed a court order to determine Apple’s identity. The order details some of the egregious messages sent by the chatbot, including “Death to all jews Death to all jews,” “Allah hates Gays KappaPride” and “We wanna see gameplay, not those big jugs.” Some messages linked to sexual content including children. Twitch’s court filing alleges that, at points, Apple was sending up to 700 messages a minute.

The guy who made the spambot with all the racist shit can just fuck off really, kinda sad that he went this far and the law had to be involved. The legal proceedings have just begun and he hasn't put in a plea as of yet. Twitch declined to comment on the matter, along with the defendant. I mean, can we just be better people for once? 

update

apparently, this dickhead has been arrested

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Just to update @SC2Mitch The guy has been officially arrested by BC police in case you'd like to add that to the OP.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Good, i remember this guy.  He posted some really vile shit, A lot involving children...

So the charges are related to how he was spamming the chat service and not about the content of his spam right? I know the UK is already going crazy censoring speech and arresting citizens over social media posts.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

So the charges are related to how he was spamming the chat service and not about the content of his spam right? I know the UK is already going crazy censoring speech and arresting citizens over social media posts.

I think it's for both? I dunno but as long as this sad man gets the book thrown at him then it's okay in my eyes 

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

I think it's for both? I dunno but as long as this sad man gets the book thrown at him then it's okay in my eyes 

Bad idea to let governments set precedence over controlling speech.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

I doubt that he is a 'sad man'. anyone willing enough to do that has the potential to get someone killed. Just look at all those cases when others commit suicide because some idiot said to.

Nice.  but please make sure while judging someone easily for this & punishing them harsh (judging by others response who've seen him doing this, he seem to deserve a  harsh penalty) , also make sure to do judgement on the same par to others for impactful real life harm , rather than doing some biased stuffed based on race,religion & origin & relaxing those punishment compared to this. It's about fairness in judgement & not reliving some movie scene you saw on TV that one is keen to re enact for some misplaced sense of self righteousness.

Details separate people.

25 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Story coming in from CBC and Kotaku and it's pretty fucking ridiculous

The guy who made the spambot with all the racist shit can just fuck off really, kinda sad that he went this far and the law had to be involved. The legal proceedings have just begun and he hasn't put in a plea as of yet. Twitch declined to comment on the matter, along with the defendant. I mean, can we just be better people for once? 

Well deserved, fuck that guy

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Hate Speech is into law in Canada. Since he's calling for death of a specific group, he could face charges for hate speech but the computer charge has a much bigger maximal punishment and since sentences do not add up in Canada, they're probably just going for the bigger crime.

...but but. I like big jugs. 

I hope he sees a pretty large chunk of that 10 years to set a real precedence, though he'll likely get off pretty easy. It is Canada after all. 

10 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Would be nice if Twitch begins to police more of it's site, especially with it's streamers. 

I'm surprised governments don't require this. It's their platform, in my eyes they are in part responsible. 

10 minutes ago, Deli said:

Oh, mighty Lord. This child doesn't know what he was doing. LOL

Send him to prison for the sake of humanity. Good for him.

I wouldn't call a 20 year old a child. 

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Are they really? That's brutal. Though the UK is always seen as a nanny state. They have freedom of speech laws, don't they? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If they are charging him for making a bot to interfere with a site, fine whatever, but if they are charging him with something due to what he said then I take issue. Free speech does not mean only speech that anyone in particular agrees with, it simply means you cannot be charged for what you say (minus some key exceptions that relate to causing harm (yelling bomb in a crowded store for example) or threatening)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Fun Fact: the BC Supreme Court is a PROVINCIAL Court. Not Federal.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

If they are charging him for making a bot to interfere with a site, fine whatever, but if they are charging him with something due to what he said then I take issue. Free speech does not mean free speech that anyone in particular agrees with, it simply means you cannot be charged for what you say (minus some key exceptions that relate to causing harm (yelling bomb in a crowded store for example) or threatening)

There's a difference between saying: I dont like jews and saying kill all the jews. The later is potentially criminal based on hate speech laws.

3 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

There's a difference between saying: I dont like jews and saying kill all the jews. The later is potentially criminal based on hate speech laws.

There is no difference unless it can be taken as a threat (in the US, this is a canadian court so idk though it would mean free speech is significantly weaker there, unsurprisingly)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Are they really? That's brutal. Though the UK is always seen as a nanny state. They have freedom of speech laws, don't they? 

You haven't been following the Count Dankula story? Man turned his girlfriend's pug into a nazi that responds to...certain phrases. Faces potential jail time. Trail keeps getting delayed as well.

Spoiler

Spamming stupid shit and linking to cp are two completely different things. Spamming stupid shit should never ever get you in trouble with the law. Although he used bots, which is a completely different thing.

49 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Would be nice if Twitch begins to police more of it's site, especially with it's streamers. 

That's a bad thing.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus