I have this parts list for a gaming rig it's my first rig ever I need some feedback?

After fixing the errors I made and adding the suggested parts I've come to this lost of part. I went with the widely popular and highly suggested EVO series SSD by samsung (250 GB), 1 TB of HDD I'm going with a TB of space because first of all I don't actually download like TB's of games so I have need for more than that if I do end up needing that one day I can easily back it up and move it to another HDD with more space (not entirely sure if I really need a Raid setup though but if I do the case i have should be able to support it (I will make sure), went with a GTX 1080 I still have no use for a GTX 1080 ti since I really don't play that demanding of game's I play Overwatch, Mirrors Edge and some other games (not Tf2 btw). the power consumption is all there if you guys have anything else to state I missed let me know when you can I don't plan to build this for a while.

image.thumb.png.74c87ba1f748874de7deadee4ba41f41.png

image.thumb.png.3352da4224ca32f097af9a81daa08c5a.png

Edited by Johnnny167
I need to show what I've changed

I don't really know where to begin. 

A ryzen 3 1300 x on a X370 motherboard seems weird. Go for a B350 motherboard. They perform almost the same, just some features are missing but i think you won't be using those. 

Also, get a Ryzen 5 1600, and a cheaper case (get a midtower ATX case, there are some nice ones under 100, that still look nice). I would also suggest a more beefy power supply but i am not sure what your system will need (use an online calculator to be sure). Also: check if the case you will be buying come with included fans. That way you can drop the fans. You also don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler. The one included with the Ryzen 5 1600 (or the Ryzen 3 1300x for that matter) are plenty fine. 

And do you need a fan controller? Your motherboard will come with Fan headers. As long as you don't have more fans than fan headers you can just control the fans through software. No fan controller needed. 

I would spend a little bit more on something like a Samsung ssd vs that PNY. In my experience, PNY ssd's are a lot slower and the extra $10-20 is worth it. I'd also get the Ryzen 3 1200 instead of the 1300x and just overclock it to match the speeds of the 1300x. The Ryzen 3 1200 also comes with a nice little stock cooler so you could cut the expense of that aftermarket cooler if you wanted to. Also, I'd look into something like a MSI B350 Tomahawk and save some cash there unless you plan to do something like SLI down the road. I'd get faster memory too. AMD Ryzen chips benefit from faster memory. I'd get at least 2666 MHz or 3000 (what I have). Just some small tweaks to kind of help you out. Again, just my opinion. 

What's your budget? I can see some inbalances.

1. Drop the X370 motherboard, go with a B350. This frees up a lot of money.

2. That's an incredibly pricey case, from what I can see you should be going for cases in the 100 - 150 dollar range.

3. Try for a 1500X, it comes with a stock cooler so no need for an aftermarket.

4. Drop the fan controller, that's legacy tech that isn't really used much these days as it has been basically integrated into the motherboard where you can control fan curve, etc.

5. A different PSU. Platinum is overkill, and you want something with a fan unless you're going for a super-silent build which I'll assume you aren't. Check out the PSU Tier List in my signature and pick something from tiers 1 or 2 that is at least 450W.

6. Think about going with only 8GB of ram for now. This will allow you to get 2400mhz and free up more budget for other stuff. You can then upgrade to 16 later by buying the exact same model.

8. That's a really small SSD, so I'd just drop it completely and consider getting a min. 250GB drive sometime in the future or now if budget allows.

The reason I haven't just given you a parts list that is better is because it is important to make the list yourself and understand all the choices behind each part. 

-Jaeger

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

6 minutes ago, Ansger said:

A ryzen 3 1300 x on a X370 motherboard seems weird. Go for a B350 motherboard. They perform almost the same, just some features are missing but i think you won't be using those. 

Also, get a Ryzen 5 1600, and a cheaper case (get a midtower ATX case, there are some nice ones under 100, that still look nice). I would also suggest a more beefy power supply but i am not sure what your system will need (use an online calculator to be sure). Also: check if the case you will be buying come with included fans. That way you can drop the fans. You also don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler. The one included with the Ryzen 5 1600 (or the Ryzen 3 1300x for that matter) are plenty fine. 

And do you need a fan controller? Your motherboard will come with Fan headers. As long as you don't have more fans than fan headers you can just control the fans through software. No fan controller needed. 

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DkYtm8 this would be a better option. 

Faster RAM, better CPU, more SSD storage, Case with 2 included fans (granted, it is not the best looker ever but you can replace it with any mid tower you want, if the zalman is not to your liking)

Only thing missing is a PSU. Find an online calculator to see how much you need, then search for reviews for such a PSU. 

Tis is 600 dollars cheaper than what you had end will perform much better. 

1 minute ago, Ansger said:

Find an online calculator to see how much you need, then search for reviews for such a PSU. 

450W minimum for that build. Gold rated preferably.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

2 minutes ago, Ansger said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DkYtm8 this would be a better option. 

Faster RAM, better CPU, more SSD storage, Case with 2 included fans (granted, it is not the best looker ever but you can replace it with any mid tower you want, if the zalman is not to your liking)

Only thing missing is a PSU. Find an online calculator to see how much you need, then search for reviews for such a PSU. 

Tis is 600 dollars cheaper than what you had end will perform much better. 

Only thing I'd change on your replacement list for him is that ssd. Sandisk ssd's are slow and I've had terrible luck with them. I'd still go with Samsung. It'd only cost him about $20 more and it'd be worth it. 

13 hours ago, Ansger said:

My power consumption is 319W with this mechine

13 hours ago, LordSlimJimm said:

I have no use to go into SLI I don't play the most GPU intensive games. I would probebly if I became a youtuber but I'm more than happy with the GTX 1060

13 hours ago, JaegerB said:

What's your budget? I can see some inbalances.

1. Drop the X370 motherboard, go with a B350. This frees up a lot of money.

2. That's an incredibly pricey case, from what I can see you should be going for cases in the 100 - 150 dollar range.

3. Try for a 1500X, it comes with a stock cooler so no need for an aftermarket.

4. Drop the fan controller, that's legacy tech that isn't really used much these days as it has been basically integrated into the motherboard where you can control fan curve, etc.

5. A different PSU. Platinum is overkill, and you want something with a fan unless you're going for a super-silent build which I'll assume you aren't. Check out the PSU Tier List in my signature and pick something from tiers 1 or 2 that is at least 450W.

6. Think about going with only 8GB of ram for now. This will allow you to get 2400mhz and free up more budget for other stuff. You can then upgrade to 16 later by buying the exact same model.

8. That's a really small SSD, so I'd just drop it completely and consider getting a min. 250GB drive sometime in the future or now if budget allows.

The reason I haven't just given you a parts list that is better is because it is important to make the list yourself and understand all the choices behind each part. 

-Jaeger

I appreciate it man, I've never been more excited to one day build this pc myself.

13 hours ago, JaegerB said:

450W minimum for that build. Gold rated preferably.

That's already overkill. Try half of that

:)

With a $2000 PC, you should be looking at a 1080 Ti with an 8700K. Just don't spend an overkill amount on the stuff that doesn't improve the performance

:)

You're most likely right I'm better off just going straight for a GTX 1080 regardless

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

With a $2000 PC, you should be looking at a 1080 Ti with an 8700K. Just don't spend an overkill amount on the stuff that doesn't improve the performance

I've just finished fixing all the major errors I've made I'm going to edit the post and show the more up to date finished version very soon give me a moment