Is there a good website/tool for helping me make game purchase decisions based on the hardware I have?

Xanthe_2871

Hi guys! So my new laptop has a Nvidia GeForce 940MX. That's not a very powerful GPU, at all! But, while it's not intended for gaming it is still a dedicated GPU, so there are probably some light games out there it could handle. 

I know how to compare specs for hardware requirements and whatnot, at least to a point. There are websites that will offer game reviews and mention how accurate those minimum specs are. I can also ask here about a specific game and hardware combo. But I'm thinking more about Steam sales or bulk decisions. 

Rather than do those things, is there a website where I can enter my system's configuration/specs, and have it spit out a list of games it recommends? That would make buying games during a future sale a lot faster than comparing specs and reviews, or asking questions in forum posts, one game at a time. 

Thank you! ?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

I'm not aware of one, but that would be really cool.

The way I buy Steam games is based on whether or not the game looks interesting to me, and then I'll look at my laptop's specs(Core i5-2430M + GT 540M) and my desktop specs(Soon to be Ryzen 5 1600 + GTX 780) and look at the game requirements and from there draw a conclusion on whether or not I can play it on either machine and have an idea of how soon I can play it.

I'm also willing to turn down settings in a game to make it playable.

Another thing you could do is ask about multiple games in one forum post.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Linustechtips.com offers such services. All you need to do is create a thread and ask what games are good based on your choices. 

Otherwise, I usually create reviews for games on Steam.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

I'd start here, it's not the most accurate, but just a starting point. After it does a scan, you can click game lists and sort by different categories and it tells you whether you meet recommended or minimum. These are based off of video card attributes and not just model. The CPU requirement is also a bit weird as it doesn't use boot frequency and it will tell you that you're often short when really you're not. You can also delve into details about the specific game requirements.

P.S. I too have a laptop with a 940MX and a dual-core hyperthreaded 6th gen Intel processor and I know I can run Rainbow 6 Siege on low (or medium, I forgot, it's been awhile) at 60 FPS. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I used  Can You RUN it back in the days and was rather convinced.

Don't know if there is an option to checking multiple games but at least for specific ones.

Correct me if i'm wrong, learning is a lifelong mission

Theres always an option for searching YouTube gameplay/benchmarks that have same mobile GPU or your exact laptop running to see what general performance you could get.

Notebookcheck has various benchmarks with games and mobile GPUs. That's one good place to see what generation of games you can run smoothly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I only play pong which runs on everything so my life is easy.

You should try Doom. Not only it run on anything, but anywhere too. Like on top of mountain.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 1/9/2018 at 10:33 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm not aware of one, but that would be really cool.

The way I buy Steam games is based on whether or not the game looks interesting to me, and then I'll look at my laptop's specs(Core i5-2430M + GT 540M) and my desktop specs(Soon to be Ryzen 5 1600 + GTX 780) and look at the game requirements and from there draw a conclusion on whether or not I can play it on either machine and have an idea of how soon I can play it.

I'm also willing to turn down settings in a game to make it playable.

Another thing you could do is ask about multiple games in one forum post.

Thank you. If I do end up asking for games here, I'll save up a few and get them all in one post ?

On 1/9/2018 at 10:38 AM, ARikozuM said:

Linustechtips.com offers such services. All you need to do is create a thread and ask what games are good based on your choices. 

Otherwise, I usually create reviews for games on Steam.

I suppose this could work, too! Maybe it will show me games I wouldn't have considered otherwise. 

On 1/9/2018 at 10:42 AM, Unimaginative Name said:

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

I'd start here, it's not the most accurate, but just a starting point. After it does a scan, you can click game lists and sort by different categories and it tells you whether you meet recommended or minimum. These are based off of video card attributes and not just model. The CPU requirement is also a bit weird as it doesn't use boot frequency and it will tell you that you're often short when really you're not. You can also delve into details about the specific game requirements.

P.S. I too have a laptop with a 940MX and a dual-core hyperthreaded 6th gen Intel processor and I know I can run Rainbow 6 Siege on low (or medium, I forgot, it's been awhile) at 60 FPS. 

One other complication is my screen is 4K. I had to turn down settings in Minecraft just to get a smooth experience there. I can't imagine how playing a game with real graphics (not 8 bit blocks or whatever) will work at 4K on this GPU! I'll probably have to lower the resolution in games to 720 or 1080.

But thank you for the link! I found that website quite helpful. Although it claims GTA V will run on my laptop. I doubt that.

On 1/9/2018 at 12:41 PM, GitGud said:

Theres always an option for searching YouTube gameplay/benchmarks that have same mobile GPU or your exact laptop running to see what general performance you could get.

Oh, maybe! I found most major channels on YouTube didn't review my laptop, instead they opted for the more expensive Yoga. LTT might have had one, but as I recall the episode was more about how they plan videos and didn't really review the laptop.

14 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Notebookcheck has various benchmarks with games and mobile GPUs. That's one good place to see what generation of games you can run smoothly.

Excellent, I'll be sure to check it out! Thank you!

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

15 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Oh, maybe! I found most major channels on YouTube didn't review my laptop, instead they opted for the more expensive Yoga. LTT might have had one, but as I recall the episode was more about how they plan videos and didn't really review the laptop.

Doesnt need to be a big channel, just common people with same hardware you got showing how it handles gaming.

Check out the LowSpecGamer channel on Youtube? Some games can be brought to ridiculously low settings, such as Witcher 3 looking worse than a PS2 game.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…