Looking for a headphone dac/amp with mic in

Laucien

Hey!. So, I'm going to be visiting the US in a couple weeks and I want to get an amp/dac for my desktop computer (currently using a pair of V-Moda Corssfade Wireless 2 though wired). I was planning to buy the Magnii 3/Modi 2 combo from Schiit but TBH since I'm occasionally going to be using it with a microphone too I would really appreciate a mic input so I don't have to run a cable to the back of my computer too.

Currently i'm looking at the Sennheiser GSX 1000 Gaming Audio Amplifier and the Creative Sound Blaster E5 though I'm not sure if this last one has a standard 3.5mm input for mic.

Do you guys have any advice to whether I should go with either or of those? Maybe some other options with similar features? Or should I stick with non-gamery AMP/DAC and just get an extension cable for the mic?. My current sound source for this case is the onboard sound on an ASUS Maximus VIII Formula and I can spend around $250ish. 

The mayflower ARC and the Burson Play are the only ones I’m aware of.

3 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Go with the classic Modi 2 and Magni 3 Schiit Stack.

Quick question about that, is there any difference between the different Modi 2 versions? I'm pretty sure it's only the amount/options of inputs so for desktop computer use the basic one with USB would be enough but just to be sure. 

38 minutes ago, Laucien said:

Quick question about that, is there any difference between the different Modi 2 versions? I'm pretty sure it's only the amount/options of inputs so for desktop computer use the basic one with USB would be enough but just to be sure. 

The only difference between the Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber is the inputs. The regular one that only has USB is all you need if you only want to use it on PC, if you want to use it on a TV or Console you’d need the Uber. The Multibit is different for complicated reasons you don’t need to worry about, and it’s subjectivly worse than the regular or Uber so don’t worry about that one.

• 1 month later...

BURSON Play might be a good option too, especially that it can fit inside the computer case.

Of course, it can be used outside the case as stand alone DAC/headamp combo.

Equipment used: Burson Play With V6 Classic: Headset T50RP MK3 and Superlux HD681B.

Game Tested: Witcher 3, Sound Settings : Master 100% , Music 80% , Effects 100% , Voice 60%.

In games sound Quality Is Crystal Clear, Combat Scenes have a Music Cut in and Out at the very second (no delays), no disturbances or background noise other than the game itself.

The system provides in parallel sound coming from different directions as the same time (Example Grass, Wind Environmental Sound in general from one direction, while keeping a flawless combat motion on one direction providing a 360 Degree experience for the Client one quite enjoyable without audio quality fading.

Even small detail sound can be recorded using this setup a perfect example would be the way the Character interacts with Environmental changed, two clear examples are:

As a final verdict, this setup has helped me to identify very easy key elements that are nearly impossible to do with other setup's I Recommend this product for a smooth and impressive gaming experience.

Done separately from the gaming review, I have tested various depths of music starting at 64 kbs up until reaching 320 kbs MP3, the part where this hardware really shines is above 192 kbs.

Up until 192 kbs there is close to none distinguish between regular equipment like a normal Headset , however there is a small variation when adding the Burson in the mix, the difference is not amazing but it does exist. (The sound is a lot clearer and more easy to distinguish).

From 192 kbs up until 320 kbs, the difference is a big one from using the setup at home SoudBlaster + Superlux 681B while using the Burson there are slight variations that you can hear on the Burson but Cannot on the Sound Blaster.

Examples are : Adrian Von Ziegler - Ode to the Fallen (192 kbs MP3)

Ada - Canta Cucu (FLAC)

The difference can be heard with a large number of background noises that are not present in my home setup or at 192 kbs.

Celtic oriented music is where the Burson truly shines since the music has a lot of variation and without a good trained ear, a lot of people cannot distinction between them.

Overall I am quite impressed with the Burson and would rate it a 4.8 out of the overall 5, with the small downside that sometimes you can hear very fade background noise (when using the 98dB sensitive HD681B cans).

With the upside of being very accurate in gaming as well as high quality music, transportable and has an overall pleasant design to it.