If I have static built up and touch my desk or even stand next to it my monitor freaks out

AtomicWaveBlast

So If I have some static built up and touch my desk my monitor goes black then turns back on after 2 seconds but am I damaging it?

that definitely should not happen, but I don't really think that a monitor can have long-term damage like this.

is your PC/Monitor/Everything connected to a grounded outlet?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I think it is somewhat possible to damage it. But that chance should be really low. Anyway, are you serious when you say your monitor goes black when you touch your desk and not even touching your monitor directly? Wow ... Just wow ...

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

I think it could. The transient is probably going through the electronics for it to turn off. I would strongly suggest to empty the charge through something grounded before touching the table.

I'm having the same problem with speakers on an esd protected mat lab table if I don't put my anti static bracelet/heel on.

13 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

Just put your monitor on top of an inch thick pad of rubber as rubber is not conductive.

Or ground the desk...

I would strap some wire to the desk and lead it to the floor 

That's an F in the profile pic

51 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

that definitely should not happen, but I don't really think that a monitor can have long-term damage like this.

is your PC/Monitor/Everything connected to a grounded outlet?

It’s all connected to a switch thingy forgot what they are called but you plug it in an outlet and it has a bunch of other outlets etc

20 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

Just put your monitor on top of an inch thick pad of rubber as rubber is not conductive.

Okay or would a mousepad work like those giant ones?

1 hour ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

Okay or would a mousepad work like those giant ones?

When it comes to electricity the thickness of an insulator is more important than the size. I would use the thickest nonconducting material you put under the monitor.