Multiple GPUs (Not crossfire or SLI)

Gdog

Hey guys.

I currently have a 1070 TI and want to add my old 290X to the unit. Primary reason will be for pass-through to a VM; however, I was wondering: When I am not running the VM, is there any benefit to having 2 GPUs not in SLI/CF, I have triple monitors for example?

Thanks,

Yes. Screens connected to the second GPU, will be getting their signal from the second GPU. You can extend your desktop, and/or have games play on that screen. You can't however clone your screen... And they won't work together at all.

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Yes. Screens connected to the second GPU, will be getting their signal from the second GPU. You can extend your desktop, and/or have games play on that screen. You can't however clone your screen... And they won't work together at all.

So any applications on that screen will be powered by that 2nd GPU?

Yes, that's how it should work. (I used an passive cooled GT 610 with my AMD APU, worked fine, one would idle when I was playing a game on the other screen.

*PS: the graphical stuff will be done on the GPU which has to output. CPU tasks are split ofcourse. Didn't do too much testing beyond this point, because I needed a cloned screen, which couldn't be done.

Thanks for the information!

I guess Heterogeneous mGPU will be a thing going forward too. I have Ashes of the Singularity which supports it so I might test that out :)