PSU killing motherboards?

dtgq

I saw a thread on HWC where someone had two motherboards die in a year (both were quite old and well-used) under the same TX750 from 2010. This is of particular interest to me because I'm also using an old TX750. I thought it sounded like bad luck with old motherboards, but a lot of commenters suspected the PSU was killing the motherboard. So that raised a question for me, is this actually a thing where old PSU's will seem to work perfectly fine but are actually slowly deteriorating the motherboard until one day it just stops working?

Maybe someone with an electrical background could shed some technical theory on whether such a thing is even possible, or if PSU's are a case of "either they work or don't"? Because right now this sounds kinda paranoid, like the PSU is giving the motherboard an STD or something lol

PSUs are absolutely capable of killing motherboards.

Sources: my ASUS Z97 and my HP (ASUS) X58

Oh, and my MSI G41

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

31 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

PSUs are absolutely capable of killing motherboards.

Sources: my ASUS Z97 and my HP (ASUS) X58

Oh, and my MSI G41

my x79 build a few yearrs  ago. bought a rosewill. never rosewill do that again ... o.O

How did you guys determine it was the PSU's fault?

Was it immediate for the motherboard, or was it a slow death?