New monitor goes black when entering full screen games

RileyTheFox

Hello. My new ASUS VC239H just arrived and it's a stunning monitor, apart from 1 issue. Whenever I open/tab into a fullscreen game I just get a black screen (Pixels are on, but they are just black). The game is not the issue, as it is running properly and works on my other monitor. I found this issue when running Star Wars Battlefront 2

In order to get it working again, I have to turn the monitor off and back on.

Does anyone know a solution to this? thanks. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

Have you updated/reinstalled GPU drivers? You can also try running in Windowed Boarderless. I run pretty much all games in Windowed Boarderless because fullscreen often causes issues with alt-tabbing and using multiple monitors. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Have you updated/reinstalled GPU drivers? You can also try running in Windowed Boarderless. I run pretty much all games in Windowed Boarderless because fullscreen often causes issues with alt-tabbing and using multiple monitors. 

My GPU drivers are on the latest version and I don't think there's any issues with that. I did a bit of research and it seems like HDMI is the issue. Apparently HDMI isn't too great for constantly going fullscreen and back so I'm going to try DVI.

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

DVI Fixed it. Except I want to be able to use the speakers in my monitor occasionally, with DVI I can't :( Is there any way to make HDMI work? Boarderless window worked. But I hate that when tabbing it stays on screen and doesn't minimise. 

12 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

DVI Fixed it. Except I want to be able to use the speakers in my monitor occasionally, with DVI I can't :( Is there any way to make HDMI work? Boarderless window worked. But I hate that when tabbing it stays on screen and doesn't minimise. 

It sounds like maybe it loses the HDMI signal when full screening, so it switches to a different input or goes to sleep. You could try looking through the monitor's settings to see if you can disable auto-switching, disable certain inputs or disable sleep mode. 

You should be able to run a 3.5mm jack cable from your PC to your monitor to get the speakers working with DVI

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It sounds like maybe it loses the HDMI signal when full screening, so it switches to a different input or goes to sleep. You could try looking through the monitor's settings to see if you can disable auto-switching, disable certain inputs or disable sleep mode. 

You should be able to run a 3.5mm jack cable from your PC to your monitor to get the speakers working with DVI

I don't think it's losing signal. Even the monitor's buttons no longer work (can't switch input or go to settings in the monitor)

Only turning this thing off and back on again fixes it.

I will try the 3.5mm jack cable trick, thank you. 

54 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

I will try the 3.5mm jack cable trick, thank you.

Not really a trick, just how you connect audio when using a video output that doesn't carry audio. If the monitor uses something like DVI or VGA, which don't carry audio, it should have a 3.5mm jack on it

• 6 months later...

i have the exact same issue with the exact same monitor ever found a fix with the hdmi?

Sounds like wrong screen resolution.
Have you set up your Windows screen res, and changed it also in game?

It's not a race to the bottom.