850 evo to 960 evo upgrade. What to look out for?

Minorika
Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
4 minutes ago, Amy R said:

since 960 EVO is NVMe type, it need to download the NVMe firmware in order to make it bootable drive for m.2

and it will appear in the BIOS as a bootable drive. If not it will not appear in BIOS

Nah. OP is using a Ryzen system. Ryzen has native NVMe support. No modifications needed. Your explanation is true for H97/Z97 systems.

9 minutes ago, Minorika said:

So i will soon upgrade from my current 256gb 850 evo to an 1tb 960 evo.

Is there anything i should be careful with when using magician to transfer windows or is it going to be the same as when i did the transfer from my HDD to my 850 evo?

Will i have to make some changes in the bios?

Thanks in advance :)

If the 960 EVO is picked up by magician, it should be the exact same process. No modifications needed in the BIOS aside from setting it as your primary boot device when the clone is done :) 

Is there anything i should be careful with when using magician to transfer windows or is it going to be the same as when i did the transfer from my HDD to my 850 evo?

since 960 EVO is NVMe type, it need to download the NVMe firmware in order to make it bootable drive for m.2

and it will appear in the BIOS as a bootable drive. If not it will not appear in BIOS

4 minutes ago, Amy R said:

Nah. OP is using a Ryzen system. Ryzen has native NVMe support. No modifications needed. Your explanation is true for H97/Z97 systems.

9 minutes ago, Minorika said:

If the 960 EVO is picked up by magician, it should be the exact same process. No modifications needed in the BIOS aside from setting it as your primary boot device when the clone is done :) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

6 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I went from a samsung 840 Evo 120GB to 950 pro 256GB and frankly I didn't notice much of a difference. Windows booted up 1-2 seconds faster and applications didn't seem to load any faster at all. 

The difference between HDD and SSD is great, but the difference between a slow, old SSD and a new fast SSD are not a low in day-to-day use. this is mostly due to access times, since even very old and new SSDs have close to the same access times. 

Well i´m mostly doing the upgrade because i have run out of space on my ssd and wanted faster and bigger storage for games anyway.

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Ok thank you very much :D

One thing to look out for is temps, as NVME drives get pretty toasty. I made a post about this if you wanna check it out.

48 minutes ago, A1Mike_W said:

One thing to look out for is temps, as NVME drives get pretty toasty. I made a post about this if you wanna check it out.

ok thanks ^^