Should I totally replace from HDD to All SSD?

Amy R

I currently using my laptop was originally got SATA3 1TB of HDD after I buy 4 month ago, which is my OS already install on that HDD.

And there got 1 slot specially for m.2 SSD, I decide to upgrade with m.2 NVMe Samsung EVO960 250GB. So far my laptop work incredibly fast more likely I had nothing to upgrade anymore.

Another thing is:

Should I upgrade (replacing) existing 1TB HDD to SATA3 SSD?

Mostly my work or other stuff I store in that HDD, and it take quiet sometimes to open when I was in limited time tight schedule or more like *I REALLY FREAKING NEED IT NOW!!!

Plus mostly I put my laptop not in flat surface or I put it everywhere that kind of shaky place :'D (Using while lie down on bed, put on my laps, use while in cars and.... you may think what is xD). And I expect after a quiet sometimes about 5 months or nearly 1 years that HDD might be failed to function because of shaking thingy.

So..... How about your opinion guys? :) 

It's not worth putting everything on an SSD, unless you have a large drive at least. In terms of cost to performance, SSD's are still expensive compared to HD's. Just put the things that you use the most on the new SSD. Around 500 Gb is the sweet spot at the moment. Though of course that can change if SSD prices come down significantly.

I'd say if you have your OS is on the M.2 you're fine. Just put your most used application and files on the ssd while leaving the hdd for mass storage. The price to switch to a comparable sized ssd (1TB ) is not worth the gain in performance

Usually I wouldnt recommend this because I dont consider a few seconds after getting into the OS important, but if you are that in a rush then do upgrade. However you might want one with large capacity because it has to hold everything else that doesnt fit on the OS drive, like 500GB or above?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

It's not worth putting everything on an SSD, unless you have a large drive at least. In terms of cost to performance, SSD's are still expensive compared to HD's. Just put the things that you use the most on the new SSD. Around 500 Gb is the sweet spot at the moment. Though of course that can change if SSD prices come down significantly.

Sounds true after I check the SSD price drop a bit for this year, but not much ._. yup 500GB might be good enough. But.... yeah I should consider the price first.

4 minutes ago, Saieshan Dadi said:

I'd say if you have your OS is on the M.2 you're fine. Just put your most used application and files on the ssd while leaving the hdd for mass storage. The price to switch to a comparable sized ssd (1TB ) is not worth the gain in performance

Yup mostly I put work and stuff in HDD storage. 1TB SSD might be pricy overkill for now, and it's true not worth for just storage performance instead of durability. So far.... I will use those HDD till it dead or not functioning properly and do replace those storage if definitely needed. I might re-use those HDD again as a USB storage. (if it still functioning and might be slow af xD)

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Usually I wouldnt recommend this because I dont consider a few seconds after getting into the OS important, but if you are that in a rush then do upgrade. However you might want one with large capacity because it has to hold everything else that doesnt fit on the OS drive, like 500GB or above?

I guess 500GB might be good. while I may not put anything on m.2 except OS and apps since it can launch apps fast enough. Yup mostly I in that rush or I open my laptop everywhere when it needed (in shaky place xD)

And thank you guys.

I will decide which is the best :)