Personal opinions on RGB....

Fessas
7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I don't like lights in general. I don't want shit shining in my face as I try to play games or do shit. Graphic card is RGB because everything is these days, but it's hidden inside an all black case. For which I had to paint POWER and HDD LED on the front coz it made my whole room a disco floor at night...

Could you not just unplug the power led & hdd led cables from the front panel connectors, or am I misunderstanding what you are meaning here?

2 minutes ago, IntMD said:

Could you not just unplug the power led & hdd led cables from the front panel connectors, or am I misunderstanding what you are meaning here?

I still want to see the status of the system (especially since it's so quiet you often have to look at the lights to know if it's even on), just not at 1200 lumens...

Just now, RejZoR said:

I still want to see the status of the system (especially since it's so quiet you often have to look at the lights to know if it's even on), just not at 1200 lumens...

haha, fair enough, when you said you'd painted them, thought you meant literally blacking them out.

Just now, IntMD said:

haha, fair enough, when you said you'd painted them, thought you meant literally blacking them out.

Nah, just top of the LEDs, because they were projecting a literal beam of light across the room on to the closets on the opposite end. Imagine the disco of HDD LED blinking like mad because of system activity. After painting the top of LED, I can still see a faint light if I look at it, but doesn't project the light all over the room. It's the usual trick I use to "silence" the LED lights.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Nah, just top of the LEDs, because they were projecting a literal beam of light across the room on to the closets on the opposite end. Imagine the disco of HDD LED blinking like mad because of system activity. After painting the top of LED, I can still see a faint light if I look at it, but doesn't project the light all over the room. It's the usual trick I use to "silence" the LED lights.

Yup, I know what you mean, my MB has the worlds brightest single white LED that is only on when the system is powered off, but still plugged in, unless I remember to disable it everytime I'm messing about and reset the CMOS for something or other and it shines directly at my bed from the angle of where the PC is. There is absolutely no reason for that LED to exist.

Minimal RGB is preferable in my case, if it looks aesthetically pleasing I'll use it but if its all in your face and look at me RGB I hate it. subtlety is key.

I like RGB on my keyboard... it's all one color but the option to color code different keys individually for certain games and keybinds is a plus.

Personally I don't mind it on the whole. Done tastefully it can be nice. Like in my PC I only have Trident Z RGB RAM. The only other RGB things I have are my keyboard, which I usually leave on a slightly turquoise electric blue and my mouse which has been the orange SteelSeries backlight since the day I got it and I probably won't bother changing it. Too much RGB can be annoying like I'd never own one of the rave machines Linus has built on that channel in the past but I think a little is good and my computer has turned heads more in my dorm room when I have people over since I added it.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

On 5/21/2019 at 10:56 PM, Sil3nt1 said:

I leave my PC on 24/7 and seems like it would annoy me more then look cool..

I never be a fan of RGB, I prefer plain white lighting.

I have a Phanteks DRGB Starter Kit installed inside my PC but ended up never be turned on after a few weeks it's turned on of the installation.

In the end I found myself that I dont like any lighting inside a PC except hardware function indicator lights.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

You tell me.

20190522_182053.thumb.jpg.8aed3dfe080f69f5df3812085aa30caf.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I like RGB, but I don't understand the craze for and against it. People are like RGB is the future, RGB! RGB! and then people are also like rgb is bad and whatnot.

RGB is a thing to spice up a build and make it look cool(not saying that there aren't ways to make a build look cool without RGB) but I wouldn't go hard for it

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

On 5/21/2019 at 8:23 PM, Rhianwen said:

I never cared about pretty lights, my computer is like a Soviet car, ugly as crap and missing some nice-to-haves, but perfectly handles almost everything I throw at it.

So like that Trabant that Doug DeMuro Reviewed sometime back...

Nah I just like my pcs like they're something bought off a shelf or found in the offices of an office complex.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I don't like flashy RGB. My AIO is just white, and my case has one thin line at the front.

Flashy is just distracting.

Main Rig: Ryzen 7 2700 | T-Force 32GB 3000mhZ | Corsair Carbide SPEC-06 Case | Corsair H100x AIO | Corsair CX750M PSU | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC

Storage Server: Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Mini PC | i3 4130T 2.90Ghz | 4GB SoDIMM | 500GB WD Blue Internal | 6TB Seagate External | 1TB Seagate External | OS: Openmediavault

Being kind costs nothing. Make the world a better place!

My PC is a work station and not a video arcade machine.?  I have a Fractal Design Define case without a window as I have no need to see the insides and the side that is usually windowed faces a wall.  I guess most MoBos have some sort of RGB these days so when time comes to update, I'll probably have a minimal amount of RGB.  I would not spend money for other RGB components.

EDIT:  workstation is also running 24/7

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

Eh, having RGB LEDs isn't something that would be super important for me in a computer, and I'm neither against nor for having tons of RGB parts. The only part in my system that has RGB LEDs is my graphics card, and even then it's on the more subtle side so it's really just something nice to look at.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Yeah. I hate RGB. Why on earth would I want choice? Sell me a new product every time I want a new color. 

/s

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Have you seen that Cooler Master 60% low profile mechanical keyboard which Paul reviewed recently? Its strobbing RGB made me dizzy..

Wait until someone buy it and get epilepsy of it..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

On 5/21/2019 at 10:02 AM, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Sort of. Limited RGB set to one color can actually be great but unicorn vomit... yeah no thanks

Says the main with a rainbow signature.  ;)  

So, I run a lot of RGB in my build (Obsidian 500D SE which comes with 3x LL120's in the front, and a Commander Pro connected to an LED strip, H115i Platinum which has to ML140 RGBs. and the Asus Prim Z390-A). 

I don't leave them on all the time, like, during the day they're off (except when playing Far Cry 5 because the US flag on my case is funny), but I use them at night kind of as ambient. Additionally, I can shut everything off and stealth the system if I wish to, or make it full white, blue, orange, RGB vomit, etc.

I get the dislike towards it, but if it's done right it can look clean. Most of my build is white/silver to help reflect if lights are on, and otherwise black to stealth it out.

I do dislike the massive marketing around it like it's a bit much to have RGB in stuff like speakers (looking at you Logitech) or a mousepad (looking at my Corsair MM800, don't judge me). It can definitely be tasteful, and the rainbow vomit mode is really only good imo for a demo showing off all the colours but eh.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

On 5/21/2019 at 7:56 AM, Sil3nt1 said:

I leave my PC on 24/7 and seems like it would annoy me more then look cool..

The Geforce 1080 I have has RGB features, but the "controller" software sucks up CPU and memory for no reason.

The Razer mouse, same, the software takes up a needless amount of cpu time, handles, and memory even when it's not doing something. I can't imagine there being any point to buying a complete set of RGB things and have to load a dozen different rgb controller software that all do the same.

This is the Razer software

razer-pig.png

The ASUS software sucks up cpu time for no reason I can discern.

asusgpu-pig.png

5 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The Geforce 1080 I have has RGB features, but the "controller" software sucks up CPU and memory for no reason.

The Razer mouse, same, the software takes up a needless amount of cpu time, handles, and memory even when it's not doing something. I can't imagine there being any point to buying a complete set of RGB things and have to load a dozen different rgb controller software that all do the same.

razer-pig.png

This is why I own Corsair everything.... one piece of software for it all.

For reference:

So much RGB, all iCUE.png

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

I have a Ryzen mini system thats toataly enclosed as in im too handicaped to do the metal work and other stuff to get all the light n stuff out. So as long as stuff runs i don't care.

My case is hidden behind my monitor due to table space constraints, so even if I have RGB I'm not gonna see it anyway.

Also the current ancient CM Elite 361 case I have is completely closed off, and my new soon-to-be arriving Phanteks P300 will also be hidden behind the monitor anyway. As long as it boots and runs the stuff I want, I really couldn't care any less for RGB.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

to me, a little bit of rgb is nice, but it isn't really necessary

it's more of functionality than looks for keyboards

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh