Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Tesla the "Apple " of cars?

Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Oh lala, people. We already have GPU and CPU wars, let's not add this one to the list, shall we?

I've done some slight cleanup in the thread. Nothing personal, please keep it friendly. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

You mean they sell a cell phone battery bank put inside a housing  made to look like a tesla supercharger lol? 

no not that fake knockoff on etsy/ebay , its under the brand Anker i think it is, thats using the tesla tech ..... i'll see if i can find the link

1 minute ago, k.m.p said:

No, no and no, Apple (now) is a company that is making mainstream products, with a very heavy emphesis on premium presentation and a seamless experience, it is what they market, and probably the best (and only) good thing about their products, but the products themselves are not revolutionary.

Most of the hardware is either current gen high end at best to low end last gen, e.g dual core macbooks, and they don't usually do things significant that nobody has ever done before, not things that contribute significantly to the final experience.

Tesla, is a company that is making products that nobody is even close to matching, the Tesla model S is one of the only car's to do 0-60 in 2.5s, and by far the only 5 seater car to do it, and it does it whilst also being the car with one of the largest electric only ranges, and the first car to bring partial self-control to the roads. Tesla is a company making products that make other electric car's look like toys and many comparable sports cars like complete gas guzzlers, and right now is the only company with those types of products on the market, they are truly pioneers, yes they are not perfect, they have had several issues, ranging from malfunctioning autopilot and tesla 3 production, but that doesn't change the fact that they are pioneers.

Isn't the model 3 supposed to be a mainstream product?  The electric car for " the masses" ? 

CPU: i7 3770 ( Cooled by H60)  GPU: GTX 970 STRIX  RAM16gb Hyperx fury 1600mhz ( 8GBx2)  MOBO: Asus P8Z77M  PSU: Corsair AX 760 Case: Corsair 350D    Storage: Kingston 240gb 3k SSD,  4 TB WD Red , 1TB segate HDD     Mouse: Logitech G pro Keyboard:Logitech G pro    Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 SE  DAC/AMP: Fiio EK10 Microphone: Blue Yeti

You have to pre-order Tesla cars if you want one. There's not dealerships every 2 miles selling used and new Teslas like they do Ford Focuses, this is a result of the difficulties they've had with ramping up production with the Model 3.

As for the technology, LP16850 battery tech isn't rocket science. But Tesla is the market leader in autonomous driving (A BIG FUCKING DEAL), whole life cycle renewable power in automotive (A GIGANTIC MASSIVE BIG FUCKING DEAL - name me one company that will sell you a luxury electric vehicle plus the electric solar panels and charging stations to plug them into). Not to mention that the cars themselves are safe, spacious and some of the models can be said to as being very desirable.

Oh lala, people. We already have GPU and CPU wars, let's not add this one to the list, shall we?

I've done some slight cleanup in the thread. Nothing personal, please keep it friendly. Thanks.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

2 minutes ago, SoNotCool said:

no not that fake knockoff on etsy/ebay , its under the brand Anker i think it is, thats using the tesla tech ..... i'll see if i can find the link

You mean this thing https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/apparel/powerbank.html?sku=8756721-00-A  .  I don't know if i'm missing anything here but it's simply a usb powerbank using one of their lithium ion batteries and has a  little over 3000 mAh  of power.

CPU: i7 3770 ( Cooled by H60)  GPU: GTX 970 STRIX  RAM16gb Hyperx fury 1600mhz ( 8GBx2)  MOBO: Asus P8Z77M  PSU: Corsair AX 760 Case: Corsair 350D    Storage: Kingston 240gb 3k SSD,  4 TB WD Red , 1TB segate HDD     Mouse: Logitech G pro Keyboard:Logitech G pro    Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 SE  DAC/AMP: Fiio EK10 Microphone: Blue Yeti

13 minutes ago, KingCobra484 said:

Tesla can't be considered mainstream as of yet. But most apple products can, save for the mac lineup. Tesla still has a way to go before it's considered a mainstream brand. One could draw comparisons from the way both companies frown upon people opening up and fiddling with their hardware though. 

Yeah, one of the reasons I probably would not even buy a pickup or mid size truck from them.  I like fiddling with any items I have, that includes my vehicles.  Plus, I would have a hard time not wanting to fiddle with an electric motor.  Would be giggly time fun to rip one out and try to fit it into a VW Super Buggy.  :P

Makes me wonder how iffed they are of the individuals re-purposing Tesla vehicle batteries for other usages instead of being in their vehicles?  Those are some nice big battery banks and even discharged to the point the vehicle can't use them, the banks can still be used as electricity storage units.  Kind of fun to watch individuals open those things up and rework them.

6 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

Isn't the model 3 supposed to be a mainstream product?  The electric car for " the masses" ? 

I question that highly considering the butt ugly screen in the center of that vehicle, especially the fact it stands out of the dash.

Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X, 5960X J Batch

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yeah, one of the reasons I probably would not even buy a pickup or mid size truck from them.  I like fiddling with any items I have, that includes my vehicles.

Makes me wonder how iffed they are of the individuals re-purposing Tesla vehicle batteries for other usages instead of being in their vehicles?  Those are some nice big battery banks and even discharged to the point the vehicle can't use them, the banks can still be used as electricity storage units.  Kind of fun to watch individuals open those things up and rework them.

I question that highly considering the butt ugly screen in the center of that vehicle, especially the fact it stands out of the dash.

I'm not saying it IS the electric car for the masses but I'm pretty sure that's what tesla wants it to be.  On the subject of the large screen, it throws me off that there's no gauge cluster in front of you.  Still from some of the reviews I've read you get used to it pretty quick. 

tesla.JPG

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Yeah, one of the reasons I probably would not even buy a pickup or mid size truck from them.  I like fiddling with any items I have, that includes my vehicles.

Check out CarGuru on yt if you fancy looking at someone attempting to rebuild damaged Teslas, it's safe to say they don't make it easy for him. Also, they still exert a lot of control over the devices, much like Apple and their recent battery saga, you can draw parallels with that and Tesla increasing the range of cars in the paths of hurricanes just by a software update. Doesn't bode well for the future of people who'd attempt to mod/fix these cars. 

3 minutes ago, KingCobra484 said:

Check out CarGuru on yt if you fancy looking at someone attempting to rebuild damaged Teslas, it's safe to say they don't make it easy for him. Also, they still exert a lot of control over the devices, much like Apple and their recent battery saga, you can draw parallels with that and Tesla increasing the range of cars in the paths of hurricanes just by a software update. Doesn't bode well for the future of people who'd attempt to mod/fix these cars. 

That a huge turn off for me.  If one thing I do enjoy doing to vehicles, that is the option to put after market parts onto one.  I actually base my buying decision on vehicles a bit if there is a good range of after market parts for particular models.

Though, for the majority of consumers, they probably don't give crap about tinkering with theirs.

Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X, 5960X J Batch

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

15 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i bet they will still be here in five years

They make huge losses every year, and have never paid a divided. In order to cover their losses, and continue trading, they either need to issue more shares, issue corporate bonds, or get a bloody big bank loan.

The shares will become an increasing tough sell with no profits, and therefore no dividends on the horizon. And every time a company issues more shares the value of the existing ones drop, as they now represent a smaller percentage of the company. Doing so too often will discourage current and potential investors.

The corporate bond and the bank loan both have the same issue. As the total debt grows and profits remain illusive, or even weak, lending to Tesla will become increasingly risky and hence the interest rate they have to pay on new, or refinanced, debt will increase, widening their losses. 

The Model 3 may save them, if they can build them fast enough and at sufficient margin. But since Mr Musk is planning to develop a Semi (phrasing) and a sports car, both of which will swallow up a huge amount of cash, the Model 3 will have to turn a really spectacular profit to keep cash-flow healthy. Thousands of companies have gone bust due to expanding too fast and causing themselves serious cash-flow issues, Tesla IMO is on track to be one of the more spectacular examples.      

3 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Tesla doesn't have cars in stock which is why you will never see a Tesla dealership. Almost all Teslas are built to order hence the pre-order.

i'm %100 sure that when i went to Brisbane (i live 2-3 hours away from brisbane) that i saw a tesla store place thing

with the logo and everything and it looked a dealership 

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/findus#/bounds/40.2593781,-76.90711479999999,40.229742,-76.9444729,d?search=store,service,supercharger,destination charger&place=brisbanefortitudevalley

telsa.PNG

5 minutes ago, CausticFive520 said:

i'm %100 sure that when i went to Brisbane (i live 2-3 hours away from brisbane) that i saw a tesla store place thing

with the logo and everything and it looked a dealership 

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/findus#/bounds/40.2593781,-76.90711479999999,40.229742,-76.9444729,d?search=store,service,supercharger,destination charger&place=brisbanefortitudevalley

They only have cars for test drives and display. From the looks of it, the one in Brisbane also provides service which is why it is bigger. Most Tesla Showrooms (yes, that is what they are called) are inside malls or small buildings in high end cities.

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

They only have cars for test drives and display. From the looks of it, the one in Brisbane also provides service which is why it is bigger. Most Tesla Showrooms (yes, that is what they are called) are inside malls or small buildings in high end cities.

k i got it now thx for replay