PC won't go to BIOS with GPU in

TheGhzGuy

Hello!

I posted about this same PC a few days ago, but after testing it without the GPU I've found something odd. When I try to boot to the BIOS with a GPU plugged into the monitor, I get so signal. However, when I try it with the motherboard's graphics, I'm able to get into the BIOS just fine. I tried this with two GPUs (HD 6850 and an HD 7870) with the same result. It's also worth noteing that whenever the PC is turned on the CPU fan goes to 100% without fail now. Any ideas?

Specs:

Core2Duo E8500

4GB Kingston DDR2

Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C (Motherboard)

Saphire HD 7870 Ghz Editon

Toshiba 250GB 2.5 inch HDD

Seasonic SSP-450RT PSU

CoolerMaster N200

Thank you!

Edit: And yes, the display cables are plugged in correctly, in case you were thinking that.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

3 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

Hello!

I posted about this same PC a few days ago, but after testing it without the GPU I've found something odd. When I try to boot to the BIOS with a GPU plugged into the monitor, I get so signal. However, when I try it with the motherboard's graphics, I'm able to get into the BIOS just fine. I tried this with two GPUs (HD 6850 and an HD 7870) with the same result. It's also worth noteing that whenever the PC is turned on the CPU fan goes to 100% without fail now. Any ideas?

Specs:

Core2Duo E8500

4GB Kingston DDR2

Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C (Motherboard)

Saphire HD 7870 Ghz Editon

Toshiba 250GB 2.5 inch HDD

Seasonic SSP-450RT PSU

CoolerMaster N200

Thank you!

Edit: And yes, the display cables are plugged in correctly, in case you were thinking that.

Is this a new build with new parts?

1 minute ago, WhyAlwaysMe said:

Is this a new build with new parts?

New build with plenty of old parts.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, TheGhzGuy said:

New build with plenty of old parts.

When was the last time the 2 graphics cards were actually working because they seem like some pretty old cards?

Just now, WhyAlwaysMe said:

When was the last time the 2 graphics cards were actually working because they seem like some pretty old cards?

It was around 3 months ago. I had to put the PC and GPUs into "Storage" (In my closet) because Linux was being difficult and I just didn't have any time to figure out what was going wrong.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

6 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

It was around 3 months ago. I had to put the PC and GPUs into "Storage" (In my closet) because Linux was being difficult and I just didn't have any time to figure out what was going wrong.

If you have a second computer or you could easily get access to another one, I would try using the graphics card in that computer and see if it works. From what you are saying the graphics card is almost certainly the issue, as the computer works without it.

Just now, WhyAlwaysMe said:

If you have a second computer or you could easily get access to another one, I would try using the graphics card in that computer and see if it works. From what you are saying the graphics card is almost certainly the issue, as the computer works without it.

I do have a second computer, but it has about ~20K worth of 3D modeling and thermal testing software. So I'd rather not mess that thing up. I could probably ask a friend and use one of his other desktops though!

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

1 minute ago, TheGhzGuy said:

I do have a second computer, but it has about ~20K worth of 3D modeling and thermal testing software. So I'd rather not mess that thing up. I could probably ask a friend and use one of his other desktops though!

If you use a different port/cable on your graphics card to your integrated graphics, that could be the fault now thinking about it.

4 minutes ago, WhyAlwaysMe said:

If you use a different port/cable on your graphics card to your integrated graphics, that could be the fault now thinking about it.

I'm using a DVI cable for the GPUs and a VGA for the Integrated Graphics. I guess I could try a different DVI cable, just to be sure. Highly unlikely, but all things are possible.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

27 minutes ago, WhyAlwaysMe said:

Alright, so after some more testing I can conclude that the 7870 is dead, and everything else is fine. (I also need to get a new CMOS battery for the Motherboard)

Thank you so much!

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock